Chapter 37
110 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was her! There she stood in all her boy loving glory, with a smile, that while rather cute, hid the true evil that lurked beneath the surface. His body responded with another full on shiver that was so severe he wondered if anyone could actually see his skin crawl. He was about to take off, to try in vain to escape, when he suddenly remembered something rather important.

“She can’t touch me now since I’m a probationary members.”

Even though he thought such reassuring words, his muscles were still primed for evading capture and fleeing for his life. However, his tensions eased ever so slightly when he saw the somewhat sad look in her eyes. While she was smiling sincerely, to not be able to cuddle the current object of her affections, left a longing emptiness in her lovely gaze.

“Tch, I don’t care!” He thought defensively to himself. Yes, he just made that sound. That fact would come to haunted him later.

After another couple of seconds his voice finally returned and he offered a reply.

“Hello ma..... I mean Ms. Cecelia! How are you today?”

He had almost said the trigger word that would unleash the monster hidden within. No, it would be more accurate to say he almost unleashed the mean monster, for she was always a monster. Anything that remotely suggested she was old unlocked, and opened, a door protecting the world from a terror that no one, including Cecelia, wanted released. Thankfully, his near fatal, perhaps an exaggeration, mistake only brought about a slight contraction of her pupils and a sudden inhale of breath. His recovery silenced any immediate danger though and she was seemingly back to her happy self.

“You are so sweet to ask! I’m ok thank you. The morning rush has been normal and when I saw you come in my day just got so much better!”

Now, with her announced idea that he was there to see her, she was positively beaming.

“But you poor dear. You looked so nervous when I came over. It must be the nerves about your exam results. Don’t worry, I’m sure you did fine.”

Any continued thoughts he may have had about her change in demeanor came to a screeching halt, like a wagon horse suddenly noticing a venomous snake in the way and trying to stop before stepping on it.

“Did she really not pick up on the fact she was the cause of his near panic attack?!” His words just weren’t spoken to himself, in his mind, they were almost yelled.

He couldn’t find any words to verbalize for several seconds, the silence causing Cecelia to tilt her head with a confused look on her face.

“Are you perhaps not feeling well?” She finally inquired.

Realizing any further time without words would be folly for his wellbeing Ethan emphatically shook his head from side to side while also presenting his palms.

“Yes, you were right. I’m just a little nervous about the test results. Other than that I’m feeling ok.”

“If you don’t count the sudden stomach ache from all this stress.” He added to himself a second later.

Before she could say anything else that might spark an outburst from him he continued quickly.

“Speaking of which, do you happen to know when I’m supposed to meet with the Guild Master?”

“Oh! You know I haven’t looked at his schedule for today.” She paused and then made a goofy face. “Oops! I’ll be right back!”

Ethan stared at her retreating form after she turned to make her way back to the receptionist. Poor Mr. Kipley Ethan thought to himself before turning to look back around the room. Across the way he noticed the bar tender was standing there looking back at him, though before Ethan could respond in any fashion the big man simply gave him a thumbs up and big grin. The silent gestures confused Ethan enough that he tilted his head like a confused puppy though all was soon revealed when a large finger pointed in the direction that Cecelia had went toward.

“Oh! Thank you!” He mouthed back with a slight tilting of his head. He wasn’t sure what he did that was so good, perhaps not running away, but he still felt accomplished by the man’s silent, but positive, feedback. A moment later Cecelia returned with a piece of paper in her hand, her eyes sweeping over the contents as she walked up to him.

“It says here he plans on meeting with you in about an hour. Would you like a room while you wait?”

Was it just his imagination or did she have a hopeful glint in her eyes? Whatever it was made him feel uncomfortable and he shook his head with a small smile in an attempt to hide his discomfort.

“No, thank you, I think I’ll go sightseeing for a little bit. I’ll be back soon though!”

Before she could respond, either for or against his plans, he was through the front door and into the open arms of the crisp mid-morning air and warming rays from the sun which basked upon him through a nearly cloudless sky. The moment he decided to go sightseeing his destination had already been determined. Moving down the stairs, slightly more confidant then the day before, he walked across the square before making his way down a side road that led to a particular forge. A little bit later he was at the front door and had a true smile on his face as he carefully opened the door and walked inside.

“Hello? Mr. Bimsley? It’s Ethan. Are you around?”

He called out, though not too loud, after letting the door shut behind him, and looked around the inside of the shop section of the forge. He was about to call out again when he was suddenly hit from behind and thrown to the floor. Someone was sitting on his back while something rather hard, most likely metal from the smooth feel of a solid and cold surface, was soon pressed to the back of his head.

“Who are you and how do you know my dad shorty?”

Ethan was speechless for several reasons, though in his mind one word was yelled out, though in the form of a question.

“Dad?!”

3