Chapter 43
104 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time around Ethan seemed to slow as the stamp was lifted by Owen, the boy's mind racing over various instances of his short life. While his simple ambition in life wouldn't become unattainable if his adventurers application was rejected it would certainly make the endeavor much more difficult. He had only thought of what he would do were his application was rejected a few times since making up his mind to attempt the process though every time he considered the possibilities he would grow uncomfortable and anxious. There was no rule stating he couldn't reapply later, when he was older, or perhaps after some more experience around the town, but as he considered previously, the idea of going back to the orphanage would be a very difficult choice for him.

He had taken a deep breath by reflex when the stamp was first pressed against the scroll, his pupils constricting as he focused on the mark left behind while his knuckles were white from how tightly he was clenching his hands. The act had taken less than a second, if that, but to Ethan it was the longest second of his life, so far, and his age erupted from within as he shot out of his seat with an excited shout upon seeing a red check mark. Sure, he had made an assumption that a check mark was a show of approval, but all things considered it wasn't that much of a stretch. Both Owen and Lorelle were a bit surprised by the sudden expression of emotion from the boy but quickly recovered with a chuckle and smile.

"Oh, I'm sorry!"

Ethan exclaimed before quickly returning to his seat with his hands clasped in his lap and his gaze cast down at the floor. He only lifted his head to look at the pair when Owen finally spoke.

"It's quite alright Ethan. It has become clear how important this is to you."

He motioned to the scroll before leaning forward with a feathered pen and signed his signature below the check mark.

"And with that you are officially an adventurer of the Adventures Untold Adventuring Company."

Ethan stared in silence as Owen signed the application and explained the situation, and even though he had a goofy smile on his face there was a growing redness around the edge's of the boy's eyelids, possibly signaling a growing amount of tears. He seemed to realize the pending waterworks and shut his eyes tightly to try and contain the flow before sniffing a bit and looking away. After another deep breath he looked back to the pair and dropped his head respectfully before replying.

"Thank you so much for approving my application."

"Raise your head Ethan, this approval was earned, not gifted, don't forget that." Owen continued to prove a point, "it was earned."

Ethan looked up and nodded, his thoughts considering how serious Owen sounded. He felt a little uncomfortable at not understanding why Owen seemed so intent on emphasizing the point but the mood was soon lightened by Lorelle.

"And now you are officially safe from a particular person." She clapped her hands together in mock celebration, though her smile was genuine as she considered how worried the boy seemed up to this point.

While Ethan smiled shyly Owen actually chuckled when he caught on to Lorelle's meaning.

"Yes indeed, if nothing else she is a stickler for the rules."

He frowned when he thought back to how much the exam had ended up costing him but quickly returned to the topic of Ethan becoming an adventurer. After rolling up the approved application he set it off to the side before picking up the second scroll. Much like before he forced it open and anchored the edges with his cup and the now closed ink box. Ethan looked down and immediately recognized the grid that Lorelle had shown him when he filled out his application. Owen noted that Ethan didn't look confused and decided an explanation wasn't needed.

"It seems you know what this is?"

"Yes, Ms. Lorelle showed it to me yesterday when I was filling out my application." Ethan suddenly looked between the two and gasped before adding, "but she told me she couldn't tell me what rank I would get, she just showed me the details." He didn't want her to get in trouble after all! Owen chuckled again and held up a hand with a nod.

"Understood and no worries."

Owen then took a deep breath and looked down at the scroll while remaining silent. Ethan was watching with curiosity, not really caring one way or another what rank he was given in the beginning. To him it was enough simply being an adventurer at this time. Lorelle, who knew the seriousness of Owen decision sat silently next to the guild master though she was much more tense than Ethan. Finally Owen sighed, seemingly convincing himself of something and, using the same feathered pen, marked the box that lined up with F and Bronze. Ethan was too busy looking down at the scroll to see the glance Lorelle sent in Owen's direction, though even if he had noticed he most likely wouldn't have been able to identify the reason behind it. His gaze shifted up to the guild master when he began to speak.

"In all honesty Ethan, your power right now is probably closer to Sky Iron but I don't want to cause a commotion my giving you too high of a rank from the beginning. I think your powers will grow as your body does so it shouldn't be long before you are moving up the ranks. Of course, as a boy with no prior experience with adventuring you have to start out at the lowest rank."

Ethan listened intently to the explanation, only thinking on the fact that his powers may grow as he aged for a split second, before he nodded with a smile. Owen had been watching him intently, though his stern expression seemed to relax immensely when he noted the boy's demeanor and reply.

"Okay, sounds good!"

That was it, the boy was simply happy to be able to go on jobs and gain experience. It didn't seem that recognition or fame was all that important to him, he was simply going with the flow. To say he was humble was perhaps not completely accurate but he didn't seem to have an unhealthy ambition to be important. Owen leaned back in his chair with a smile, though behind the upward curve of his mouth was a sense of subtle confusion, and also a tentative approval of the boy's future.

2