Chapter 48
93 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few more minutes of chatting while they walked they finally arrived in another long hallway that looked to span from one side of the sanctum to the other, or at least very close to it. Ethan immediately saw the debris placed against the wall, and in some places, even on the outside half of the floor. Looking at the debris more closely and noting the different shades of lumber around many windows and along the wall itself he came to the conclusion the outside wall had been the target of the renovations. Before he could question, or in this case, clarify his thoughts the head cleric spoke up with a sweeping of her arm before them.

"As you can see this is the area that needs to be cleaned. The outside wall had needed repair for some time but after loosing a two year battle with an aggressive colony of wood mites it got to the point that we risked the loss of structural integrity."

Ethan listened without a word, remembering a lesson back at the orphanage from a few years ago. It was during an unrelated class, when a student kept on raising their hand to ask questions that the teacher was already about to answer. After a dozen times or so even the old man, known for his patience, finally couldn't help himself. Ethan thought back to the words that were spoken clearly, but with a hint of exasperation.

"Sarah, when learning, listening to others, or trying to understand someone, or in this case, something, it is said that one should listen with their ears, not their mouths. In many cases your questions could very possibly be answered if you simply listen, making the lesson, or conversation, that much quicker and enjoyable. For the remainder of this lesson, try just listening and then I'll stop the lesson a little early to see if you have any questions."

Sarah, though a little embarrassed readily agreed, though her sheepish expression did give the old teacher some pause and after taking a deep breath did provide a small olive branch.

"That being said, if you don't understand something, and I begin to move on to a new topic, be sure to raise your hand so I can better explain." Ethan didn't know it back then but that lesson would prove invaluable throughout his life and he would often acknowledge the teacher, to himself and others, for his later successes. So what was the teacher's name that provided such amazing insight? He was a retired adventurer turned scholar known as Mr. David Auditorium.

Back in the present, only a few seconds having passed, the head cleric continued without hesitation.

"Being that the inner sanctum is on the other side of this wall," she motioned toward the inner wall to their left, we simply couldn't accept the situation any longer. Those darn wood mites really messed up our plans."

Despite her previously sweet, and seemingly gentle, expression Ethan looked up at the change in her tone and shrank back a bit. Standing above him with clenched fists near her shoulders and with what looked to be bulging veins along her forehead was clearly a very angry lady.

"Um...."

He didn't have a clue as to what to say at this point though his two letter word seemed to do the trick as, upon registering the sound, the head cleric immediately lowered her arms and cleared her throat while relaxing her facial muscles.

"Yes, now where were we? Ah yes."

She pointed back behind them at the corner where the two hallways met, and then back in front of them to the opposite intersection at the far end of the hallway where they stood.

"There are doors here, and there, that lead to the back courtyard. An old fountain is in the center and hasn't been used for a very long time. You can pile the debris in the fountain. We'll burn it later for the kids to have a bonfire night."

"Kids?"

"Yes, the orphans and children of the clergy that live and work here."

"... orphans..."

"Hmm? Is something wrong?"

"Oh! No, no! Sorry!"

Ethan didn't know why but the idea that another orphanage existed in town, when his had been so far out in the middle of nowhere, confused him. His emotions were swinging from excited to upset like a clock pendulum that was going way too fast. It would seem that his facial expressions were somewhat mirroring what was going on inside because the head cleric suddenly asked again.

"Are you sure you are ok? Are you feeling sick?"

"Ah! Please forgive me, my stomach just suddenly did a tumble, but I'm ok now."

He lowered his upper body in apology before straightening with a smile once again on his face. She looked at him for a second, not really sure if she should believe him, before nodding and continuing.

"There is a cart outside that you are free to use, though I warn you, it is old so I wouldn't try to put too much into it at one time."

She thought for a second to see if she was forgetting anything else.

"Oh! One more thing, to the left of the far door is a well, feel free to use the water there as you please."

He had begun to roll up his sleeves right around the time she started to tell him about the well and she was smiling down at him as he finished the endeavor with his clothes.

"If you have any questions just call for Katarina."

"Thank you very much mam and understoo...."

He immediately stopped talking when he heard the name Katarina but quickly recovered with a subtle cough and thumbs up.

"Understood!"

He moved down the hall and away from the head cleric before she could ask anything, his gaze sweeping over the various chunks of wood and plaster. There was definitely a lot but if he moved fast enough, and possibly even reinforced his body, he could probably get it done in a few hours. He made his way to the far door to get the cart so that he could fill it with the smaller pieces while he took the larger ones outside one or two at a time. Thus, the boy known as Ethan Kipley began his first official job of his adventuring career, and took the first step down a second path no one would have ever guessed was there, including Ethan himself.

4