Chapter 50
94 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Both Ethan and Katarina stood there silently while the head cleric explained why the lumber and plaster he had been moving was so heavy. Even though the details had been explained to Katarina when she also asked why the children of the sanctum couldn't clean up the mess she wished to hear them again. For some reason when she heard the story it left her with a warmth in her chest and the feeling that a protective blanket had been draped over her shoulders. Ethan, for his part, casually drank from his cup while the head cleric spoke.

"The Cloudcrest Sanctum is considered very young, with some of the oldest being over 10,000 years old, though very few of those remain after the great war."

While Ethan couldn't really comprehend such a large number, let alone such a great span of time, his jaw dropped in shock nonetheless. He could at least acknowledge such a time frame was very impressive.

"Regardless of age, before the great war, every town, city, or capital had at least one sanctum at its center. Depending on the government, or region, the sanctum would have represented a single Keeper, not like it is today where the remaining sanctums are devoted to all the Keepers."

Ethan was about to ask for more information on that difference but held his tongue as the head cleric continued her explanation. He tucked it off to the side for when she was done.

"As the center of a settled population the sanctum had to be strong so that it could protect the citizens if needed. It also represented a Keeper, which as we know, is a steward of our world, and by extension, us. Unlike the current times, where we have new methods and materials, back then it was a simple task of having the sanctum blessed by a Messenger on behalf of their Keeper."

The head cleric stopped speaking for a moment and stepped over to the wall so they could gently place their palm against the cool surface. She silently offered words of thanks to those who came before her before taking a deep breath and turning to the face the pair.

"The act of blessing did many things in those days. It provided additional powers to the clergy within, reinforced the building materials of the structure, sanctified the ground below, could be used for communion between Messengers and their Keepers, and kept the sanctum from ever degrading due to natural means."

Ethan silently watched her move toward the wall, his expression one of curiosity, though that was quickly replaced by one of awe and shock when the head cleric had finished her statement about the powers of blessing.

"It was the reinforcement of the building materials that made them heavier. By making them stronger and denser their weight increased significantly. Back in those days it was almost impossible to bring down a sanctum by normal efforts and they were known as the hearts of war for their stubbornness to fall. In fact, they were so sacred that if one was taken over by an opposing Keeper they simply rededicated it rather than tearing it down and building a new one."

Finally, unable to contain his questions any longer he carefully interrupted the head cleric when she finished her last statement.

"Um, so what happened that the sanctum suddenly needed repairing?"

His question caused a sadness to gradually transform her facial expressions and even her shoulders slumped a bit a second or so later. Reaching back up to lightly touch the wall a single tear slipped down the cheek facing the boy. She spoke softly, trying to mask her emotional state as best she could.

"As you may know, the war that followed the Great Rending was brought to a close by the Great Sacrifice. The Keepers used up just about all their powers, and nearly all of their Messengers gave up their lives as conduits of those powers, transporting Ascenland, the Crown of the World, to the east and creating the great barriers that have kept us safe for the century since."

Ethan nodded a couple of times, having heard the story several times at the orphanage, however, the words that followed had never been told to Ethan before and their severity hit him harder than he would have expected.

"Though it hasn't been confirmed by Ascenland, which all but cut itself off from the rest of the world after the transportation, word is that approximately 50 years ago all of the remaining sanctums started to show signs of wear. It wasn't severe, and by all accounts the degradation has seemed normal, but it was a shock for many. I was only around fifteen at the time and I remember the reaction of the other clerics rather vividly."

Ethan wanted to ask so many questions but seeing the growing sadness on the head cleric's face stopped him from voicing them. Instead he remained there, standing in silence, and waiting for the head cleric to continue. He didn't even risk looking toward Katarina for fear he may miss something. Soon the head cleric slid two of her fingers across each closed eye to wipe away the tears and then continued.

"We assume the Keeper's remaining powers are weakening and that is why we are seeing their blessed sanctums suddenly acting like regular buildings."

She couldn't help but smile as she thought of something.

"Though, it would seem that making the materials denser was some kind of physical change that won't be undone."

Whether or not Ethan, or even Katarina, had put two and two together, the head cleric wasn't sure, but she didn't offer anymore consequences of the Keeper's powers weakening. Instead she offered a small nod of her head and brought her lesson to a close.

"And that, Mr. Kipley, is why we required the help of an adventurer such as yourself."

She managed a smile before motioning for Katarina to follow, which she did after topping off Ethan's cup one final time.

"Well, we'll leave you to continue with your work. Please don't hurt yourself and make sure you stop at sundown."

Ethan offered Katarina a smile when she filled his cup, though her response was to look away without a word. Instead of making a comment he turned back to the head cleric and nodded.

"Thank you. I won't and understood."

He turned to look out one of the windows and figured he still had about an hour before the sun started to drop. Taking a quick gulp he placed the cup off to the side and got back to work.

3