Chapter 55
64 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Despite the excitement, food, and fun filled day before Ethan managed to be wide awake rather early the next morning, though, one may be excused for having the wrong idea as to why. At some point during the night the rest of Ethan's body managed to get into bed, though his one leg still held a small grudge in the form of a tight knot in the center of his calf muscles. However, even that slight discomfort hadn't managed to stir the boy. Then, without warning, his eyes shot open and he was standing less than a second later. If someone had been watching it would like world events began going backwards and instead of falling onto the bed he was standing out of it. Before his body could even settle into its vertical configuration he was out the door and heading towards... yep, the bathroom. Nature came calling with a vengeance and not one to be rude Ethan replied promptly and with urgency, which turned out to be a very good idea. Thankfully he wasn't sick, his body simply said it was time to say goodbye to last night's festivities, which had been in abundance. After ensuring nature was settled he decided that since he was awake he should stay awake and thus began his day.

Despite his emotional readiness to begin the day his body must have had other ideas because upon reaching the bottom of the stairs Badger, who was sitting at an empty table with what looked to be a large book with lots of numbers across its pages, burst into laughter when she looked up at him. It would seem his facial expression did not reflect one of daily preparedness. Her laughter only increased when he frowned and began to massage his face in an attempt to wake up the muscles beneath, or at the very least, remodel them.

"It doesn't work that way boy. Sit down and I'll get you breakfast."

It seemed that despite her no nonsense way of life she truly did enjoy a good laugh and thanked those who made such so. As he took his seat he looked around and saw that while some people were spread out among the various tables it was, for the most part, too early for many of the patrons. At least he assumed that was the case but he felt like something was off with his thoughts. As he wasn't sure why he felt uncertain he simply waited for the food with a thoughtful frown on his face. Soon Badger returned with a bowl of porridge, some bread with butter, and a huge pile of bacon and sausage. Curiously she also had two cups instead of the typically lonesome single as usual. After she sat everything down on the table he leaned forward and look down into the cups, one was clearly a juice of some kind, while the other looked to be hot and of dark color. He looked up with a quizzical look as he reached for a piece of bacon.

"Ummm?"

"Considering how spent your face looks consider it a type of potion that will help pick you."

Her words seemed genuine and sincere but there was also something hiding just beyond the veil. He must have been a little less awake then he realized because he didn't think to question the mischievous little inn owner any further. He finally asked right before placing a piece of bacon into his mouth for a crunchy exchange of morning pleasantries.

"So where is everyone? Generally if the sun is out more people are here?"

She looked at him and raised an eyebrow at his question before letting him get a few chews into his bacon assault to reply.

"It's because they are all at work, it's almost noon."

Yes! She got the reaction she wanted and oh boy was it a wondrous reaction! He inhaled sharply upon hearing her statement and immediately began hacking and coughing as the beacon put up one last stand. It was an epic battle that nearly saw the weak beacon bring the mighty boy-beast low, and it would have been so if not for his late battle allegiance with the juice on the table. After a moment or so he brought his lungs and throat back under control and looked at her incredulously.

"Almost noon?! It's not just after sunrise?!"

She was almost unable to keep her giddy excitement in check when Ethan lost himself for a moment.

"Yes, and it was a little after sunrise about five hours ago kid."

She noticed one of the other patrons respectfully get her attention and excused herself to go take care of their needs. While she was away Ethan calmed himself down enough to finish eating his food and drinking his juice. It was when he looking down at the mug of black that Badger finally reappeared with a small bowl of white cubes, sugar he assumed, in her hand.

"Try it straight and if you need to sweetened it up put a cube into it."

He eyed her for a second but after remembering he had seen others with this drink before he took a careful sip. His face immediately twisted into one of pure disgust as bitterness assaulted his senses. He was just barely able to keep himself from gagging and quickly took four cubes from the bowl and dropped them into the mug. He used the spoon from breakfast to swirl the contents before trying once more. He wasn't sure why he felt the need to drink this darn mug of dirty water but there was a sense of belonging for some reason. After take a few breaths to prepare himself he took another sip with a scrunched up face though after the much tastier contents hit his tongue the muscles relaxed and he no longer looked like he had been punched on the nose.

"Mmmm, warm and sweet.... What is it?"

Oh boy, as soon as he took the second sip and showed a sign of appreciation the veil which had been barely covering her true intentions had been thrown aside in a dramatic proclamation of victory. For she knew that soon the boy would power-up into a caffeine fueled monster of non-stop energy and she couldn't wait to see it!

"That is known as coffee. It helps people start their days."

She was almost unable to contain her excitement as she watched him nod and start to take another sip. Oh, this was going to be fun!

3