Chapter 60
62 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He didn’t realize just how much the words that Owen spoke to him that day changed his life until he was many years older. That wasn’t to say that they didn’t effect him greatly when he first heard them though. The lesson he was about to learn was going to be the harshest of his life, at least up until that point.

“You may be too young to truly appreciate what I’m about to say but try to keep an open mind.”

Ethan blinked a few times but remained silent, a sign that Owen took as a signal to continue.

“Not everyone thinks like one another and they don’t all think like you.”

Ethan was about to respond with an acknowledgment of that fact but was silenced with an “ah” from Owen before he could speak.

“Really think about my words before you starting speaking,” he instructed before taking a second to gather his thoughts.

“Earlier today you saw the crowd that had gathered outside the guild hall. Let’s say, for the sake of argument, the number reached 100 people at the height of the situation. Given that number we will figure that at least 200 people around town have heard about the situation.”

Ethan nodded, following the scenario so far, and he wanted to point out that 200 people sounded like a good thing but kept his thoughts to himself, at least for now.

“I would bet you a 100 gold that of that 200 people, less than twenty percent would truly want to help and even less would actually be able to help.”

Ethan couldn’t control his reaction and instantly his eyes went wide and his mouth dropped open. Surely those numbers couldn’t be right! Owen was just being cynical… right?

“I’d wager that you would go running off to help without a second thought to getting paid, or in some way compensated for your time correct?”

“Of course! It’s the right thing to do!”

“Ah, is it now?”

“You don’t think it is?!”

“Well, first, define ‘what is right to me’ Ethan.”

That question immediately deflated the boy’s passion and his posturing relaxed significantly. He looked rather helpless as he mulled the question over before responding hopefully.

“It is right to help others.”

“Even at the expense of your own well being?”

“What do you mean?”

“Ethan, I want you to listen to me very, very carefully. Don’t just hear my words, listen to them. Your powers are special, not so much them directly, but your Nel’ Tahn reserves. Others are no where near you in that regard and as such must act differently.

As you are now you could probably work all day, go without eating, and then still be able to work the next day. You may be hungry, cranky even, but you wouldn’t feel weak. Most adventurers, by nature of how their bodies and powers work, can’t afford that luxury. If they don’t eat after working they run the risk of not only being hungry the next day but also too weak to do more work.”

Ethan remained silent and considered Owen’s words. Truth be told he hadn’t really considered how other Afflicted got along on a daily basis. At their orphanage no one went hungry and they weren’t working daily so the situation never presented itself.

“Of all those people that showed up today, you had some that were simply curious, others that enjoy seeing others upset or concerned, and yes, many that wanted to help. You even had a few that felt they needed to protect a crying girl, or worse yet, because the girl in question is considered attractive, they wished to look good in front of her.

Of those that felt they wanted to help you had even more examples of different thoughts. There were those that felt bad for the orphans and gave an empty offer of assistance so they could feel good about themselves. They never had any intentions of actually stepping up in any meaningful way. A few of the more successful restaurants will offer free leftovers to those helping but the food would have spoiled anyway and they get free advertisement for their good deed.

You’ll also have those who not only want to help, but are also willing to, but can’t afford to because they don’t have enough money to miss a day of work. Those are the ones I just spoke about regarding your power. The ones that will end up helping are adventurers that are most likely orphans themselves, and who have experienced some level of success and can go a day or so without working. You’ll also have a few who want to make a name for themselves, or look good in front of the women, who can afford to do so.”

Ethan had tried to speak up several times at different points but was either stopped by a motion or additional words from Owen. He wanted to say Owen was wrong, debate the supposed intentions of those outside, but each time he said that to himself he paused and considered the fact that Owen was older and more experienced. Unfortunately for the situation, in the end, Ethan’s immaturity won out and he simply couldn’t, or wouldn’t, accept such a dire outlook. When it was clear that Owen was done talking, his gaze assessing the boy, Ethan finally spoke up.

“I… I don’t believe you’re right Mr. Owen. I.. can’t believe you.”

“Can’t?”

“Yes. If what you say is true then why am I alive? Why did my parents sacrifice themselves for others to escape? Why did the family that my parents entrusted me with fulfill their request and delivery me to the Forgotten Oaks Sanctuary?!”

Tears were openly running down his cheeks now but he didn’t try to wipe them away as he spoke defiantly at the guild master, who, after a moment and a deep sigh, decided to bring the conversation to a close.

“You’ll understand more as you grow Ethan. Just please try to remember what I said about many others not thinking like you. Unmet expectations are a serious danger to one’s well being.”

Ethan was too emotional to note the hint of regret and sorrow near the end of Owen’s statement and simply gave in to his own thoughts as he began to followed the guild master down the hall once again.

2