Chapter 65
52 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He managed to make it back to the guild hall with about five minutes to spare. While there were no shortage of confused looks sent his way during his run from Mr. Bimsley's smithy he has largely missed them with his near single minded focus of getting back on time. However, once he arrived and the looks morphed from confusion to scrutiny, they were much harder not to see and immediately made the boy feel self-unconscious. Cecelia immediately came over to him with a warm, but excited, smile when she saw him enter, an act that immediately made everyone look away in fear of the receptionist and her love of cute things. No one, cute or otherwise, had any desire to be on the receiving of her anger regarding any of the objects of her affections. Ethan felt the pressure of everyone's gaze suddenly lessen and could only guess it was because of the normally terrifying woman before him, who, despite his normal fear of, seemed like a perfect candidate for hug. However, perhaps out of a sense of self preservation, he managed to avoid acting on such an impulse and thanked the Keepers for protecting his remaining innocence just a bit longer.

"I see you are all set on your equipment?"

Ceceila was a little concerned that she only saw some armor, two shields, and a small dagger on the boy but she had been given the details of the exam by Lorelle so she was aware of his fighting style... if you could call it a style. Historians would indeed consider it a style way off in the future, but at the moment it just seemed like a child's immature whims.

"Yes, I figured mobility would be preferred in this situation so I went with what would be easier to carry."

To say that his words surprised the receptionist would be an understatement. The idea that he would have considered such things at his age was impressive to say the least. As she, admittedly, felt herself go a little fan girl, she suddenly considered the why and how he was able to make such decisions. She was about to inquire further when Lorelle raised her voice.

"Ok everyone, let's head to the examination hall."

Everyone started to shuffle toward the hallway, footsteps began to mix in with the previous low chorus of murmurs, which were now beginning to lift to excited chatter. Ethan looked away and then back to Cecelia before smiling and heading off towards the hall himself.

"...oh.."

Cecelia crossed her arms over her chest and hugged herself to keep from attacking the adorable, innocent, sweet, kind, and oh by the Keepers cute boy as he offered her that smile before trotting off with the group of adventurers like happy puppy. She even wiggled in place with a goofy smile on her face as she imagined hugging him close to her.

"Ahem..."

It was Lorelle's voice that brought Cecelia back to reality and when she stopped wiggling and opened her eyes she immediately shrunk back with a full body quiver rushing over her. Standing before her was Lorelle but not the sweet, darling, and beautifully nice Lorelle everyone loved and adored, no, this was the annoyed, talon flexing, fang bearing, hair on end agitated Lorelle! Cecelia squeaked when she heard this Lorelle call out her name and quickly ran around her and scampered down the hall to catch up with the group.

"Seriously..."

The word was spoken with exasperation and Lorelle slumped her shoulders with a sigh before turning and making her way toward the hall herself. Once everyone was inside Lorelle and Cecellia moved to one end of the hall and began to take turns explaining different parts of that night's mission.

"Most of you identified your partners when you signed up, however, for those who didn't or numbered less than three will be assigned partners before you head out. If you don't already have a team of three gather up front."

"While you are allowed to defend yourself, tonight's mission is an information gathering mission. We are trying to identify the culprits and determine the whereabouts so we can develop a plan that safely returns those kidnapped. Any uncalled for, or unneeded, heroics that put the children in jeopardy won't be tolerated."

"We have an eye witness that may have inadvertently stumbled on the hideout of the culprits, though we aren't certain just yet. He will be going with two groups to show them where he saw the suspicious activity. It is from that spot that a majority of you will be spreading out to survey the rest of old town and its surrounding areas."

Lorelle looked like she was about continue the explanation after Cecelia brought her part to a close but stopped when she and everyone else heard the door in the back open and Owen's calm but clearly on edge voice managed to somehow reach all of them.

"Then Councilman Lacron, I shall leave telling them to you. Since, as you say, it is such a delicate situation."

A heavy set man who looked like he was wearing several layers of clothing too many, mostly because beads of sweat were clearly rolling down his round face and neck, eyed the guild master for a second after the not so subtle announcement, before offering a dismissive "hmph" and entering through the open door. It was curious though, at least to Ethan, though many other thought the same, that he only entered the hall enough to say he was inside and not an inch further. Looking about the room the councilman seemed to lose some of his courage but managed to begin speaking none-the-less.

"I am Hannely Lacron, a member of the Council. I am here, on behalf of the Cloudcrest Council, to tell you that until further notice you are not to take any action inside the town walls regarding the kidnapped children."

Everyone, even Ethan, felt the immediate change in atmosphere within the room. Everyone's breathing began to deepen, though whether the reason was from what seemed to be a thickening of the air or anger, or both, wasn't certain. What was clear though was that the increasing breathing of the councilman was due to fear and he took a step back before adding quickly.

"Your guild master will provide additional details and answer any questions."

Before anyone could protest the rotund man had disappeared from the doorway and was currently skittering down the hallway. Owen, who remained in the doorway watched the man flee with a look of contempt before sighing sadly. He turned and stepped inside so he could close the door behind him before looking up at the group of confused and angry adventurers.

2