Chapter 67
56 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The last several minutes of events, proclamations, and changes to their plans had the poor boy's mind and body suffering from a violent vortex of emotions and subsequent physical manifestations. He was swinging between rage and elation as if we were a pendulum on a gigantic clock and only after people starting moving to surround him where he stood near Lorelle did the swinging start to slowly subside. He had been able to follow most of what had been said by the Councilman and the Guild Master, though he didn't understand the subtleties involved, nor did he completely understand the reasons behind the provided statements.

Unfortunately time seemed to speed up immediately after Lorelle began to confirm those signing up as bodyguards and soon he found himself and a group of people he didn't know in a smaller room across the hall from the examination room. Instead of a couch and small sitting table like the other rooms he had been in this one had an elongated rounded table meant for conversation, however, everyone remained seated and faced Lorelle and Cecelia who stood across the table from the amassed individuals.

"In an attempt to avoid any other... surprises, I'll make this quick," she motioned toward Ethan before continuing.

"The evening before the kidnapping Mr. Ethan Kipley, while returning from completing a job at the Cloudcrest Sanctum, spotted a group of individuals acting suspiciously in Old Town. When... curiosity got the best of him, he went to the alleyway they disappeared down but they had disappeared. At the same time he described the sensation of something coming up behind him but when he turned no one was there. That might not seem like much but despite his age Ethan is very quick."

There had been a few grins and a chuckle when Lorelle emphasized the word "curiosity" to explain Ethan's actions of looking into a suspicious group of individuals. At the same time more than a few let a dubious expression sneak onto their features when Lorelle spoke of his sensation and quickness. None of them had seen the examination and the exact cause of the explosion involved had been glossed over as an accident to avoid unwanted attention. To just about everyone of the adventurers present that last bit of information was the result of a, at best jumpy, and at worse, scared, boy after loosing sight of a mysterious group of people. Ethan was too focused on Lorelle and the task at hand to really notice the doubt. However, Lorelle hadn't missed the change in expressions and moved to quickly avert any misunderstanding.

"At the very least, Ethan's quickness, and senses, are spoken for by the guild master, so the listed experiences should be strongly considered."

Due to his focus Ethan did notice the change in Lorelle's tone, and for that matter, also her intent, so he looked from her serious face to the group standing around him. He face blanched a bit when he found everyone looking down at him with a mixture of interest, searching, and surprise. Thankfully Lorelle spoke up, and brought their attention back to her, before he could be overwhelmed by the stares and forced to recoil away from the group.

"The events witnessed and experienced by Mr. Kipley could easily be coincidence or a misunderstanding, however, given the timing and location to the kidnapping they can't be ignored."

She paused for a second to allow any questions to be raised before continuing with a soft clap of her hands.

"Okay then. Starting immediately, your assignment is to act as Mr. Ethan Kipley's bodyguards wherever he may go. From the sounds of it he wishes to take a closer look at Old Town as someone who is new to the city and also recently worked in the area. He has also mentioned his desire to stop by the Cloudcrest Sanctum and offer his prayers to the Keepers for the children's safe return. Given his age and appearance, and the recent kidnappings of children near his age, he and the guild came to an agreement to ensure his safety and well-being. As a possible target you all, as his bodyguards, are expected to be proactive in defending him, and survey the areas around him."

Lorelle finished "explaining" the situation, as well as the assignment, and turned her lovely gaze toward Ethan. Nodding with a smile he turned to face the group and lowered his head before speaking.

"I look forward to working with you and thank you for your protection as I go to extend my prayers to those kidnapped and also explore Old Town in an attempt to better understand the area."

It would seem that the boy understood enough of the situation to play along and a chorus of positive responses and acknowledgements immediately replied from the group.

"You'll be safe with us."

"Don't worry sir, we'll protect you."

"Your prayers are appreciated!"

"Thank you for hiring us!"

"We won't let anyone mess with you."

Lorelle and Cecelia shared a smile and a glance upon hearing all the responses and knowing everyone was on the same page. There was only one final detail to be addressed before she sent the group out.

"Ethan," she waited for him to turn back around to face her, "you'll need to leave the armor behind. It would look to suspicious considering you are more likely to be kidnapped then attack. Two of your... bodyguards will carry your shields for you in case something happens, but armor won't work."

She wasn't sure how Ethan would respond to losing some of his protection but before she even finished explaining he had already lowered the shields draped over his shoulder to the floor and was now undoing the ties on his armor. He didn't even say anything, he just smiled with a nod and got to work.

A few moments later the group was heading out the main door of the guild hall, Ethan's two shields inconspicuously among the gear of the two adventurer's closest to him, and an even number of adventurers flanking either side of him. He suddenly felt a little self-conscience when a bunch of people outside turned to face him and his... entourage, but he managed to avoid displaying too much of his embarrassment as they walked through the parting mass of bodies. They were taking the shortest route to Old Town, well, except through buildings of course.

3