Chapter 70
45 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If anyone had witnessed both encounters between Ethan and these shadowy individuals they may be overcome by confusion considering how the outcomes were so different. The first time the two sides came together Ethan had been able to not only feel their presence, but avoid capture, with what seemed to be great ease. However, this time, the second time, it was the bad guys who seemed to have no trouble catching Ethan. So what was the difference? Well it basically came down to intent, being distracted, and training. It would take some time before Ethan would be able to determine the details himself, but the first encounter involved an individual that, if described with one word, would be labeled as evil. Now, the three that captured the boy could hardly be considered good, but they weren't evil so much as those without morals, or simply bad, so they gave off a completely different intent when coming upon him, one that he wasn't familiar with. In the end it was their training that was the main difference, in that they knew how to work as a team, had countless strategies and tricks, and could had plenty of experience, for better or for worse. The coordination and speed at which that trio struck were too much for Ethan to overcome, even as an adventurer, and thus he was captured. He wasn't sure if any of them were Afflicted themselves, nor would it probably have mattered since he was unable to make a sound let alone react fast enough to utilize his powers.

Ethan was too busy hacking and wheezing to take note of any possible details that were revealed as he was taken down into the darkness below the streets of Old Town. He could feel pressure against his stomach, wrists and ankles, his body bound and draped over the shoulder of one of his assailants. By the time he had managed to clear his head the number of twists and turns taken, steps used, and doors opened and closed were lost to time, though he did feel that the air around him was much cooler now than before, and also that the floor on which they just dropped him was even colder, and perhaps slightly damp, and very solid. It was natural stone after all. Ethan immediately began to squirm about on the floor, his arms and legs flexing and fighting against the rope holding his appendages together. That was, at least, until he was suddenly kicked in the stomach by a heavy boot, the air once again being knocked from his body.

"Enough with the squirming!"

The gruff voice continued even as Ethan coughed hard enough to vomit some inside the hood covering his head.

"Sit still and behave and you won't get hurt... more than you already have."

There had been a pause, and an audible smirk, during the statement as the speaker considered the fact they had already beaten the boy pretty good.

"Now, we're going to ask you a few question, if you answer them like a good boy we'll leave you alone. If you don't, or we don't like your answers, there is more pain coming your way."

Strong hands gripped him by the shoulders and he was roughly propped up against the stone wall behind him. The hood wasn't removed, which was a good thing in that it hid his grimace as his arms and hands were grinded against the wall from the pressure being applied.

"What were you doing in that alleyway?"

Ethan cnosidered whether or not he should apply when he was suddenly hit with an open palm against his covered face. The impact set off a ringing in his ear and instant soreness in his jaw. He immediately groaned and swayed to the side before managing to speak.

"I was trying... I was trying to find my friends."

"Your friends? What friends?"

"I heard a bunch of children were kidnapped this morning. They are my friends. I wanted to try and find them."

As he was replying Ethan was also considering his options. He could easily overpower his bindings but he wasn't sure if those who captured him were Afflicted as well. He was aware that Owen had told him his powers were special but he still didn't have a way to gauge just how special, or how effective that specialiness made them. He was still thinking everything over when the three burst out in laughter upon hearing his explanation.

"You?! Help?! You did great there kid. You even went and got yourself captured as well. Stay put."

The man who had been holding him against the wall suddenly released him and stood up. Ethan could hear the scuffing of feet followed by hushed whispers that he wasn't able to make out.

"I say we just add him to the others, we'lll get more money that way."

"You sure it is a good idea? He seems a little suspicious."

"Nah, he's just a kid who probably lives nearby. I want more money."

"I agree, more money is never a bad idea."

The murmurs suddenly stopped and he heard them return to where he was sitting before he yanked to his feet.

"Looks like it's your lucky day kid. You're going to see your friends."

"Re...really? OOF!"

Doubling over in pain once again a clenched fist pressed firmly against his gut, the hard knuckles twisting against his insides, pushed until he passed out. His limp body was hoisted to be draped over a shoulder before the group turned and began to make its way down a side passage hidden by a false wall similar to the half way in the alleyway. It would be a bit before Ethan woke up but when he did he would find himself surrounded by the kidnapped orphans, as well as some others he didn't recognize, all bound at the wrists and ankles. His hood had been removed and none of the others were wearing one. Dozens of faces, ranging from those younger than him to those a little older than him, looked at him and as he gazed back he noted several had bruises and even more showed signs of serious crying, which he supposed was to be expected. Taking in the situation, including his own, he looked around before offering a small smile.

"Hey everyone, good to see you again."

If they had all been standing a collective collapse of everyone in the room would have probably occurred in confused response to his easy going greeting. He just wasn't good with these social situations!

2