Chapter 72
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Ethan and Sarah spoke together in hushed whispers, another conversation in low tones was taking place down the hall from the room where all the children were being kept. While there were roughly a dozen or so figures in the small room only four were near the center, surrounding a beaten up table, and talking. While there wasn't an overwhelming sense of dread those inside did seem on edge.

"Our contact says that he managed to keep the guild under control for a little longer."

"It's about time that fat rat did something to earn what we are paying him."

"The agreement has been rather one sided up until now hasn't it?"

"It doesn't matter, we'll get it all back in due time."

After the other three had made their statements the original one continued.

"Despite his back slapping attitude he cautioned us about the guild. It would seem that the guild master here isn't some country bumpkin playing the part like some of the other towns. He warned us that we should move sooner rather than later."

This time the other three didn't respond as quickly as before, their eyes cast down in thought.

"I'm also concerned about the boy that was captured earlier today. The whole situation smells rather fishy to me. I agree we should move up the time table."

"Agreed," the other three responded in unison.

"I will send word to the incoming caravan to detour to Alub. We'll meet them there before moving on to Bula."

"Let them know we'll be leaving here tomorrow so to pick up the pace."

The figure who spoke about detouring the caravan looked back over his shoulder toward one of those standing along the wall. They nodded and moved toward the door before exiting the room. Outside they quickly moved down a dimly lit corridor to prepare an appropriate message and assign a messenger. Back inside the conversation continued.

"While the timetable will state tomorrow for our departure, I would like to speed it up even further. Our contact pointed out that the guild was only prohibited from working within the city, so they may start sniffing around the walls sooner rather than later. We can always slow down once we are outside."

"Tch, what are we paying that fool for? He isn't anything but a headache."

"You must really learn to relax my friend. We'll remind him of his failures when we assess some inconvenience fees to his last payment."

"Bah, we aren't friends, merely business associates. Though when I think about the look on his face when he receives an empty sack for his payment, I do feel a bit better."

There was a chuckle or two before the conversation continued.

"I'll have my men finalize the preparations for departure. Everything should be finished within a few hours. We may have to hand out a few extra bribes depending who is on guard duty."

"That's fine, frankly I'm sick of this town. We'll be so rich after selling these kids a few bribes will be nothing but a coin or two in comparison."

A murmur of excitement rose from those in the room before four gloved hands finally rose bringing everyone to silence.

"Having said that, don't get careless. We still have a few more towns and cities to move through before we are finished."

A general consensus from the group replied to the instructions before everyone moved toward the door. The four who had been talking stepped out first, one at a time, before the rest of those in the room followed. About half of the group followed the original four while the other half moved toward the room where the children were being kept.

"So... you want to wait and see where they are taking us before acting?"

While she was still speaking to Ethan in a whisper her disapproval of such a plan was clear.

"I don't want to wait any longer than needed either but I have no idea where we are. Without any details I can't think of a safe plan and I don't want any of you to get hurt."

Sarah was about to continue the argument but quickly stopped herself when she thought of everyone's safety. Ethan was right, to act without any information was only going to get people hurt, or worse, dead.

"Fine... but when will that be? Are we just going to sit here and wait? There are some really sick kids already and a few are just about to snap."

"I would have to assume they aren't going to stay here much longer, not with the guild on the move. I would be too afraid to try and wait the situation out if I were them."

Incidentally for Ethan, though he had no idea he was right, the kidnappers had been too afraid to try and wait out the situation. They also had several deadlines they needed to keep so waiting wasn't really an option to begin with. Regardless the results were the same and, thankfully for the sake of the children, that meant they would be leaving rather soon.

As Ethan fretted over the details they all turned to look at the door when the sounds of chains and latches being released echoed within their cell. Sarah wiggled and bounced away from Ethan who in turn quickly laid down onto his side. As soon as his eyes closed the door swung open and several figures entered, fanning out in front of the children by the door. Squinting just enough to see past his eyelashes Ethan took note of the various individuals though he didn't recognize any of them. A couple still had their cowls pulled up and over their heads in an attempt to obscure their identities. One near the center of the group suddenly stepped forward, put on a mocking grin while extending his arms out to his side, and said in a condescending tone that made Ethan want to jump up and kick him in the stomach.

"Great news kids! We're going on a little trip!"

 
1