Chapter 77
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Running parallel with the rolling hills and planted fields was a massive sheer mountain face that caused Ethan to tilt his head back a bit to see the cliff's edge above. He then noticed what looked to be several large buildings and wooden framework, some of which collapsed and much of it smoking, at the base of the mountain east of the city.

"Is that a mine? Is this a mining town?"

He said softly to himself while he looked back to the besieged town wasn't as big as Cloudcrest but still seemed well established, which meant that there were a lot of residents within. From this distance he could easily follow the signs of destruction from the mine, down a short hill road, and right up to, and sadly inside, the town. He didn't remember this town at all on his way to Cloudcrest so he must have arrived at the city from a different direction. Thankfully from this far away he wasn't able to hear the screams and fighting from within the town, however, his felt an odd sense of nostalgia that washed over him like scalding water. Since looking upon the town he had nearly come to a stumbling stop, however, thankfully, his senses weren't dulled enough that he didn't hear the monsters crashing through the woods behind. Moving back into a sprint he took off toward the mine, thankful that the terrain between the two locations were as passable as it was.

From where he was he wasn't able to see too far west of the town, though he could just make out what looked to be another major road on the opposite side of the mine. As more and more monsters erupted from the tree line behind him he hoped that the Sarah and the others wouldn't some how make their way to this town. Though he tried to keep a direct route while he retreated away from the others he didn't feel too confident that he was still heading in the same direction as he didn't have a point of reference earlier given how dark it was.

During his run through the woods he had intermittently flared his Nel' Ina to keep the monsters' attention on him, and while he prepared to send another pulse out from his body he forced much more to be expelled in an attempt to catch the attention of whatever was attacking the town. Given it was a swarm he knew they were monsters, but he couldn't make out any details as he was too far away. He also couldn't be sure he caught their attention so every five seconds or so he repeated the pulse, each time making it stronger. Turning to look back over his shoulder he took note that there were was around two dozen monsters of various sizes now chasing him. Maybe they had been chased away by those attacking the town, or perhaps they just wandered away for a different reason.

Inside the town walls could only be described as bloody chaos, fueled by the screams of the residents, and the screeches of the monsters killing them. Bodies, from children to adults, lay in various states, some half eaten, others trampled, a few simply in the wrong place at the wrong time during an attack. The town was truly a mining town and due it geographical location and features was considered very safe. It had a small guild hall but it was considered more of an outpost for those traveling between towns and cities further apart then an actual hub. The town guard was designed more to keep the peace among the residents not protect it from a raid. Those that could help were doing so but due to the sheer number of monsters involved many of them had already fallen. The attack had started the day before about midday and it seemed the most effective form of defense was hiding and remaining silent, though the attack had been so quick that many lost their lives before the situation was really understood.

A group of what remained of the town guard were hiding within a partially collapsed building near the center of town, spying on several monsters currently chittering and slashing at one another over several lifeless bodies between them, while whispering between them about what to do.

"Look at those bastards, fighting over those bodies like they are nothing but a meal."

"What can we do?"

"We can't do anything to them, their armor is too strong."

"We have to do something!"

"Shhh!"

One of the guards noticed that the monsters suddenly stopped fighting each other and thought they had become too loud in their debate. They all remained stock still, and silent, for several more minutes before the monsters suddenly took off away from the guards, heading down the road toward the wall facing the east.

"What the?"

Some of the guards poked their heads up further to get a better look but then suddenly dropped back down when they heard the rumbling of rampaging monsters coming up from either side of them. Bits and pieces of rubble and debris began to ran down onto them from the shattered floor and ceiling above them as dozens, after dozens, of monsters began to rushing toward the same east wall.

"Look out!"

Several of the guards came together and raised their shields to protect themselves from a larger chunk of debris that gave way from the second floor, their collective strength enough to prevent them from getting too hurt, even if it wasn't enough against the monsters. With several of them coughing they moved back to the edge of the wall to watch as what looked like every monster still alive race away toward the edge of town.

"What is going on?"

"Thank the Keepers!"

"Pah, shit on the Keepers, where were they the last 20 hours?"

"Enough! Keep your voices down!"

The disagreement ended quickly as soon as they considered the possible ramifications of getting too loud. Meanwhile, running near the base of the sheer mountain face, Ethan increased the frequency of his pulses until he began to see what looked like monsters streaming out of the town and over its partially destroyed wall. Unfortunately for the boy, his concept of distance, and his knowledge of the monsters' abilities, or in this case, the lack of both caused a slight problem; they would reach him before he reached the mine.

"Well this isn't good..."

He said to himself as he realized his plan worked a bit too well.

1