Chapter 79
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even if the commander had remained in front of the prisoner long enough to see her reaction it wouldn't have mattered as she was so scared she had even forgot to breath. The words themselves were enough to send a muscle tensing shock down anyone's spine, but it was her tone, and worse yet, her eyes when she pulled back, that were the true source of the prisoner's paralysis. She had already been drug several feet by an armored hand under each arm before she finally began drawing breath, and it took another second or so before her mind began to work once again. Squirming to try and look back over her shoulder she frantically called back to the commander after she called her orders.

"Please, please, they have my little brother. Please, they'll kill him at this rate."

Despite the debilitating fear experienced just a moment ago the more she spoke about her brother the more of a fight she tried to put up against the other two knights.

"He hasn't done anything wrong, please, don't let him die."

The commander came to a stop after the end of the initial outburst but slowly turned to face the girl during her second plea.

"Wait," she said, causing the two knights to stop, though they didn't turn the girl to face their commander.

"What is your name girl?"

While it was clear the commanding knight was older than the prisoner she wasn't that much older, a fact that caused an a flame of frustration to involuntarily flare up within the girl. Thankfully, though, she was able to maintain her composure and answer in an even tone after only a second of hesitation.

"Nat... Natalie."

"And your brother's name?"

"...Gorn."

Eyeing her carefully in silence for a few seconds she then lifted her gaze to her subordinates and nodded once before they turned Natalie to face their commander once again.

"Your eyes... Are not those of a liar Natalie. However, for your sake, you had better not have managed to lie to me. Who has your brother?"

Natalie gulped and nodded at being warned and then looked around a bit, obviously concerned about others hearing her, though at this point the situation couldn't really get much worse, or at least that is what she was telling herself.

"They... they call themselves Black Flame Ventures... Gorn and I were captured when a caravan we were traveling with was ambushed. The caravan was in an area considered safe from monsters so it only had one Adventurer. They had several Afflicted and easily overpowered us. That was... two years ago..."

Her breath began to become labored near the end and soon sobs began to interrupt her words. Salty liquid flowed from her eyes as her chest heaved and her lips quivered. Finally she was able to stop the crying long enough to continue, though when she looked up her face was a mess of tears and snot.

"They... they... I could handle what they did to me if it meant his safety," even if her words were sincere a part of her gaze darkened when she declared that statement. The suggested acts that she could handle for the sake of her brother were obvious to the commander and her expression softened ever so slightly.

"Then... then about six months ago they suddenly got involved in these kidnappings."

Shaking her head violently from side to side she tried to forcefully clean her face before spitting out what had leaked into her mouth. Inhaling deeply, her lips still quivering, she finally continued.

"They told me if I helped them kidnap the kids they would free my brother and I. They said they would consider my contributions as payment for our freedom. I haven't seen him in six months, I don't even know where they left him, and now the caravan has been attacked and I have no idea what to do!"

She began to lose her composure once more as the situation she now found herself in brought about a weight of despair that threaten to break her.

"What were the children for?"

"Huh?"

"Why were they kidnapping the children?"

"I... I don't know. The venture only spoke of how much money they would get paid for them. I don't even know if they were aware themselves, or if they even cared."

"Where were you all heading next?"

"I don't know. I wasn't told anything until we got to the next town or city and they sent me to the local guild hall."

"Guild hall?"

"Yes, I'm an Adventurer, though only a F Copper. I had just joined and we were heading to a nearby town had a larger guild presence and more jobs when we were captured. I guess they figured with how I looked, I know I look young, and the fact I had a membership in good standing, that I was the perfect spy to send in to find... targets."

She hesitated before using the word targets but ultimately that was how the group had always referred to them when giving her instructions, and after over six months of hearing it, not using the label felt weird to her.

"Very well. Release her."

Not only was Natalie confused by the sudden command, so to were the commander's two subordinates. They even asked in unison when they found their voices a second later.

"Ma'am?"

"I said release her. As things stand now she is more important to us here then back at Cloudcrest. At the very least she can provide additional information that may be imperative later."

"Yes ma'am!"

As they moved to undo Natalie's bindings the commander looked down at her before speaking.

"Despite this gesture, my earlier warning remains. We were hired is to assist in the containment of the swarm attack on on Coppershear until the kingdom's army can mobilize."

Upon hearing the knight's words Natalie's eyes suddenly went wide. Her already weak body fell forward after her bindings were undone and it took all her remaining strength to sit back up to look at the woman's face.

"Swarm?! But there weren't that many monsters that attacked us!"

"It must have been a small party that broke off or ran away. Cloudcrest received word of the swarm almost two days ago now so depending on how far away you were then such is conceivable."

As Natalie fell back onto her rear in silence the commander continued.

"While I can't promise it will have any sway when you are tried for your crimes, your assistance, as a person, and adventurer, in this situation couldn't hurt."

Natalie looked up at the woman and for the first time wasn't upset with her for any particular reason. The young woman obviously had trust issues and the last two years were filled with experiences no one should ever have to suffer, let alone think about, but her driving force was still to save Gorn, and she couldn't do that if she was in jail. She needed all the help she could get and after taking a deep breath got to her feet and offered an affirmative nod.

"I will do all that I can to assist you."

1