Chapter 89
46 7 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While he wouldn't remember the moment later at that moment Ethan stirred upon feeling a warmth slip over, and throughout, his body and while he couldn't clearly see the person behind it he didn't feel any threat from the form leaning over him. Darkness once again overtook his senses and his gaze slowly closed, his breathing ever so slightly stronger than before. Even if the lack of resistance could be taken as a good sign, Rainelle was honest being honest enough with herself that it could also be a bad sign.

Looking back over her shoulder she noticed that the shallow pit with two opposing vents to allow the needed air to reach the flames was nearly complete. Soon she would have the sanitized water needed to help clean his wounds and they could also send the very important requirement of additional help. Even though she was considered highly capable and very powerful there was no way she herself could stabilize someone with such horrific wounds. Suddenly movement to her right caught her attention but her muscles instantly relaxed after realizing it was the scout returning. Krollin was his name if she remembered correctly, though she had just met him shortly before their earlier descent.

"There isn't anyone else."

He didn't whisper but his voice wasn't louder than needed either, having waited until he was able to lean toward her shoulder before speaking. She immediately turned to look at him with a sad expression.

"So they didn't make it?"

While it was understandable, after the wounds on the body before her, that there may have been those that didn't make it, the thought someone had passed on made her heart ache. She, like the others, had been told of the assumptions regarding this area, so she knew the numbers weren't on their side. Sadness was soon replaced by confusion though when Krollin responded with a shake of his head.

"No. There isn't anyone else. No bodies, no parts, no weapons... By all accounts he is the only one here."

After the full weight of his assessment fell upon her conscious, her upper body dropping just a bit as if all were actually physical both slowly returned their gaze to the boy lying on the ground beside them. While their thoughts weren't exactly the same, their astonishment was, and while she continued to infuse his body with her healing powers that stared at him in silent awe. It wasn't until they heard a small snap kindling followed by the subtle licking of flames that Krollin moved off toward the pit while pulling out two collapsible bright red cloth signal discs.

After making sure the fire had caught and was steadily burning, and while the other adventurer began preparing a small tripod to hang the pot of water over the open flame, Krollin stepped back away from the fire a bit and began to wave the signal discs above his head at specific intervals and patterns. While the code couldn't be used to send complex messages, certain patterns had been established to help describe a particular situation. In this case Krollin sent the following message, repeated three times, before hiding the signal discs behind his back and waiting for a response.

"Secure. Quiet. Survivor. Aid."

Of course given how far it was to the edge of the plateau above he was also using a looking glass to aid his sight, though it was still took a focused effort. Finally he noted the received signal and nodded to himself while collapsing the looking glass and also the discs. While returning them to his person he turned and began to make his way carefully back toward Rainelle and the boy. He stopped just long enough to whisper an update to her and then began to move back toward the battlefield.

"More aid is coming. They know there is a survivor and that although this place seems secure, to come in quietly. They should be here soon. I'm going to keep a look out."

She nodded before he left and then thanked the one who appeared next to her with a small bowl of simmering, but quickly cooling, water. Instructing them on how to dip the clean cloth into the water and then let it hang in the air to cool off a bit she then reached out with one hand and enveloped it with her Nel' Ina while gripping it carefully with her fingers. As carefully as she could she began to wipe away the dirt and dried blood from the skin that was currently exposed to try and get a better idea of how bad the wounds were. She whispered something to herself in frustration when the severity of nearly all his wounds became clear a few moments later.

"Help me move him near the fire."

A second adventurer came over and helped the first carefully lift Ethan ever so slightly off the ground while Rainelle remained at his side to provide her healing. If he was aware of being moved, or if he felt any pain from doing so, he didn't make any show or sound of it. After laying him back down so that he was between the fire and Rainelle she gave more instructions to each person.

"Setup a lean to behind me to help capture the heat around him. When more support gets here have them prepare a tent and to get a fire going inside immediately."

"I need you to cut away the rest of his clothes. If you come across an area where the fabric is stuck to dried blood use the boiled water to carefully moisten the area to get it to release more easily."

The pair immediately set to work after receiving their instructions and while doing so Rainelle began to look more closely at the boy's arm and leg, at least without moving too much from her location next to him. After noting that the leg wasn't actively bleeding, having an appearance similar to being cauterized, she turned to her biggest concern which was his arm.

She had never before seen or heard of an example like what she was looking at right now. It truly looked like a monster, or part of one, had literally fused with his arm, the two had melted, mixed, and then when cooled off were one piece. It was grotesque to say the very least but what really concerned her was whether its presence was adversely affecting his body. Her biggest fear was whether or not they would have to amputate his arm, especially after considering the fact he had already lost part of his leg.

2