Chapter 94
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Terri ran past more and more wounded as they made their way to the healers she had just left with a frown firmly on her gentle features as she noticed various grim faced adventurers carrying motionless bodies. Despite the fact that the swarm hadn't been actively surging in their direction upon arrival and was also being bombarded by the Ravenspire forces above, it was still an active swarm. As she considered this truth she swallowed the lump in her throat and tried to reinforce her stoic emotions as she knew the injuries and deaths before her were simply the beginning. She doubled her efforts in returning to the front line, thankful that her helmet was closed and hiding her constantly changing expressions.

Thankfully for the situation she left behind to bring the wounded Selena to the healers, while she had been placed in charge of the Cloudcrest forces, they weren't an army. Her job had effectively ended upon their arrival to Coppershear and the engagement of the swarm. While the wedge formation that they initially used was in fact a military maneuver once they had drove into the swarm the concept of a unified force was left behind. While some, like Terri and Selena, were from Orders, nearly everyone fighting this swarm directly were adventurers and thus were used to working alone or in small parties that they trusted explicitly. Even with her existence as a Knight in a Order, after so many decades of mistrust and discrimination sent in the direction of the Afflicted she could completely understand their mindset. As Terri returned to the battlefield the crew of the Evireal shifted into the second phase of their assault.

"Release the Air Ticklers!" Degardo called out while trying to hold back his grin. Several people stopped and turned their attention to him with confusion before looking to each other.

"Really Captain?! Air Ticklers?! How... what... gah!" In his attempts to mask the growing desire to grin turned away from the voice that just called after him. He even winked at a few of those staring at him. Realized what he was doing from who replied and his reaction they to took on a serious expression, which was a lie, and called out in response.

"SIR! Releasing the Air Ticklers Sir!"

"OI! Who said that?!"

The crew scattered with a few snickers and many grins as a massive female Raginer came storming up to stand menacingly behind the captain. He still hadn't turned around and was pretending to mind his own business, even going so far as to whistle a short tune, acting as if she wasn't there. Of course there was a bead of sweat getting ready to slip down the one of side of his face, though despite the danger lurking behind him, a delighted grin was now clearly visible on his bearded face. Oh how he loved courting the anger of a strong female! Slowly turning he looked up at the female, the clean shaven sides of her head accentuating the gravity defying mohawk that cut into the air above her already tall figure. She was thinner than the average Raginer though her strength, and more importantly, attitude matched some of the strongest and angriest of their race.

"Oh hello Velna, is something the matter? Did you hear? I just gave the order to send out your Ai..."

He stopped speaking mid word when a sudden explosion of anger and killing intent crashed into him with enough force to actually make him lean back a bit. The source? Why the lovely Velna in all her growing rage and battle crazed glory. Clearing his throat, his heart racing like an addict looking at their next fix, he held up his hands, facing his palms at her, before continuing.

"I just gave the order to send out your Wind Cutter unit." He gave her as pleasant and innocent of a smile he could give while looking up at her.

"You're lucky you're the Captain, Captain or..." She let her words trail off as she stared down at the little, but thick bodied, Pul'kin. Huffing she turned on her heals and stormed away toward the back of the ship.

"You all heard the Captain! Open the hangar doors, it's time to show those bugs why they should have stayed in their holes."

"Commander Velna, we haven't noted any flying monsters below so your air superiority shouldn't be challenged, however, do be viligiant. Your Huffing Puffs unit is very important to the kingdom!"

It was Captain Degardo again, calling after the Commander who suddenly stopped, her body becoming rigid in frustration and anger. Slowly turning to glare at him over her shoulder she whispered to him through gritted teeth.

"Just wait until we are no longer on this mission... Captain." She then plastered a clearly fake expression of gratitude on her face and spoke with a terrifyingly sweat tone.

"Your concern warms our hearts Captain. Don't worry though, my Wind Cutters will certainly live up to their reputation and importance."

Clearing his throat he nodded as she turned and made her way below deck. The back of the ship could open and close as needed, each level of its three having a separate door. They were on the first level and once she finished descending the wooden steps she came to a stop looking about the interior. Most of her unit were getting ready to mount up, with only two or three still finishing with their tack and gear. Looking over to her own mount, already set and ready to go, the monster was the largest in the unit, though there were others with Raginers as their riders that were close to its size.

As she walked toward it she looked over its beautiful body, making sure the metal tack had been fastened correctly and not hindering her darling in any way. The Wind Cutters were the example of a domesticated monster species, though in truth they were also domesticated prior to becoming monsters after The Rending. Before though they were a food source, their size hardly large enough to carry a baby let alone a full-grown and armored Raginer. However, upon Affliction not only did their size change, but they took on much more predatory features and behaviors. Wind Cutters were best described as a massive lizard with wings for its front legs, though they did have three talons at the tips of their wings for slicing, a beak shaped mouth that was harder than the rest of its body, and a long tail that could be used like a club if needed. The entire body was also covered in feathers, though the skin beneath was still course like a reptiles. Their spines were protected by spike like protrusions made of keratin with one or two between their shoulder blades kept ground down for a saddle to be strapped down. Another change to the Wind Cutters were their feet, now claws with talons, which helped fulfill their final change, the hunger for flesh in addition to their previous like for seeds and insects.

Her mount, which for some reason she called Armadillo, made some clicking noises with its tongue as it leaned its head into her palm as she lightly pat and scratched the side of its head. Turning she looked at the others in her unit, three dozen in total, and grinned as she saw they were all mounted and looking at her expectantly. Even their mounts shifted about as they fed off the excitement coming from their riders. She grinned before turning to swiftly lift herself up into Armadillo's saddle and taking his reins. Leaning forward as she turned his head he began to walk toward the open doors in the back, his own excitement growing as the wind began to flow through his feathers. Right before he jumped out Velna turned and looked back toward her unit.

"That's right everyone! It's show time!"

They all yelled out in response and after Armadillo took a few running steps he leaped into the air followed by several strong flaps of his wings to lift him higher. She turned to watch as her unit followed her into the air, though their mounts dropped off and dove down with their wings tucked closer to their bodies as they plummeted toward the ground. After about a hundred feet of falling though they threw open their wings and began to circle the battlefield below so their riders could assess the situation below.

1