Chapter 1: Dreadful news
67 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘Dead’ body found in a public pool miraculously lives.

 

The headline flashed on the morning news program.

 

“A boy miraculously survives after he was found lifeless in a swimming pool.” The clear voice of the anchor filled the studio. “Here is Amy Winters for the report.”

 

“A patrolman was doing his rounds when he saw a body under water in a public swimming pool.” A female reporter stood in front of the camera. Behind her was the gate of a community swimming pool that was cordoned off with a yellow tape.

 

“The patrolman said that he spotted a body under the water. Hoping that the person was still alive, he immediately dived to retrieve the person out of the water.”

 

“The paramedics arrived and found no pulse, but performed CPR nonetheless. They rushed to bring the patient to the hospital. In the emergency room, the doctors and nurses spent 38 minutes of trying to revive the patient.” The reporter paused for an effect. “Yet there were still no signs of life.”

 

“The doctor called it in.” Her voice trailed off.

 

Then it changed into a lighter tone as she continued her incredible narrative. “But something strange happened. The nurse who was clearing up the equipment attached to the patient was startled. The boy who was pronounced dead was coughing violently and was curled up to his side. The nurse quickly alerted others and they began another check-up on the patient. The doctors called it a medical miracle. This is Amy Winters reporting for Free Spirit Media.” The reporter’s voice faded in the background.

 

“Thank you, Amy for covering this report. Now onto the next report-”   The anchor continued her broadcast.

 

The news caught many people’s attention especially when they heard the patrolman’s account of the story.  

 

“His lips were blue when I found him.” The patrolman told what he saw in another different interview.  “I thought the boy was already dead.”

 

Even the paramedics confirmed his claim. “We wouldn’t say the patient was dead because by law it is not our call. However, when we arrived, we saw no signs of life. The boy was unresponsive. There was no respiration nor heartbeat. We did our best to bring the patient to the hospital.”

 

“My hopes were dashed when the patient was rolled in. Many patients who were brought to us unconscious were often deemed gone. It took 10 minutes for the ambulance to arrive at the emergency room whereas, it takes only a few minutes to drown. We did not know how long the patient had been submerged under water. While we do not have any explanation for this medical miracle, we are happy that the patient survived.” The doctor who made the call was also interviewed and his statement was included in the newspaper.

 

The online community was filled with opinions.

 

“Thank God that the boy was alive. How is he now?”

 

“Why was someone in the pool in the middle of the night when the gate was locked? Someone, give me an explanation with the lax in security.”

 

“The parents should keep a close watch on their children who are sneaking out at night.”

 

“I’m glad that the patrolman was able to spot the boy despite the darkness. That pool needs more lighting!”

 

“That pool needs an exorcism. Bad spirits linger in public places.”

 

“Are we not going to mention the need for better CCTV coverage?”

 

“I will no longer allow my children to go to that pool.”

 

“Hey, I’ve heard that there’s a gang in the area. Calling the chief of police to clear this up.”

 

“Calling the Mayor. What are you doing about this? We did not elect you to just sit by and watch!”

 

As the public’s interest grew, the police were made to perform an investigation.

 

The doctors reportedly saw injuries on the teenager's body.

 

Police spokesperson said, "We urge the public not to draw any conclusions. We are still investigating the incident. Rest assured that we are taking actions to ensure that our community remains safe." 

The news report faded in the background as Elisa passed along the streets. She reigned her emotions whenever she was in public.

 

For the past few days, the incident was the topic of discussion among the people. Some were sympathetic while some had callous opinions. Some days she believed their words; that it was her fault for not watching her son well; that she failed as a parent. If she was doing her job as a parent, that would never have happened to her son.

 

Her eyes were red and swollen in tears, her face shrouded in sadness. She rushed through the hallways of the hospital to avoid the stares and the pity.

 

Her son was alive but she did not know if he would live. They were still battling complications that were potentially fatal. She kept praying and praying for her son to wake up. Every day she became miserable seeing her son so pale, vulnerable, and unresponsive.

 

Elisa entered the private room and placed her bag down on the chair. Dark shadows formed under her eyes from the sleepless nights. The worry, sadness, and fear made her feel tired and exhausted. She moved closer to the bed and bent down to kiss her son's forehead.

 

Her heart ached whenever she saw the bruises on her son’s body. It had mottled his face. The others were hidden under the hospital gown and could be seen at the back of his thighs, around his abdomen and on his back.

 

The doctor assured her that the bruises were healing as evidenced by the yellowish color surrounding the dark parts.

 

The news should have soothed her aching heart but it didn't. It didn't because the fact that her baby was tortured gnawed at her heart. She had never whipped her son when he was a child, never raised her voice on him. But those people… how could they? How dare they do that to her precious gentle son?!

 

Her only child, barely 17, looked so fragile lying on the hospital bed. The bruises on his body formed a stark contrast against the white sheets around him. Jamie's cheeks had sunken in the few days that he had been in the hospital.

 

This beloved child of hers, whom she prayed for and asked from God, was struggling for his life. The baby that she successfully carried in her womb after suffering two miscarriages, the child she raised with tenderness was almost taken away from her.

 

An unbearable lump of pain formed in Elisa’s throat. Another fresh batch of tears fell from her swollen eyes. She wiped here face with a tear-soaked handkerchief.  When her vision cleared, she noticed some movements with her son's eyelids. A gleam of hope and excitement filled her heart.

 

"Jamie. Jamie. Sweetheart." She called out softly.

 

"Come on baby wake up. Mommy's here. You can do it baby. Wake up." She kept encouraging him as she ran her hands lightly on the Jamie's bandaged head.

 

The boy's bleary eyes fluttered open but only for a moment. Sleep claimed him again.

 

Elisa pressed the red button beside her son’s hand.

 

In a few moments, someone came into the room. She told them what happened.

 

The doctor told her to call him again if her son wakes up.

 

She sat down on the chair beside her son's bed. She kept vigil every day, praying for Jamie’s recovery.

 

"Please wake up." She spoke softly, afraid that the tremble in her voice would be heard. "Mama misses you. Please hold on and come back to us."

 

She gently held her son's hand that had a needle embedded on it.  With her two fingers she stroked the back of his pale hand in an attempt to provide Jamie some relief. She did this with utmost caution as though her son's hand would break.

 

She didn't know if it was working on Jamie but it worked for her. It calmed her troubled mind. Carefully she lowered her son's hand and proceeded to massage the other.

 

As she kept another afternoon vigil beside her son, she couldn't help but recall the past few days: the phone call, her race to the hospital, and the days back in the ICU.

8