Chapter 5: A terrible result
40 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The doctor was puzzled.

 

“You say he does not recognize you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“The both of you?” The doctor looked at the two siblings sitting opposite him on his clinic. He tried to analyze the situation based from what they said.

 

“Let’s do a scan if that is alright with you.” The doctor finally said for their own peace of mind.

 

After the test was performed and the results came out, he called the siblings again.

 

"There are slight changes in his brain. See the colors here?” The doctor pointed.

 

“This part is less active than a normal brain.”

 

Elisa became visibly worried and it showed on her face.

 

“But that does not mean he won’t be able to live normally.” The doctor was quick to assure her.

 

“He will have some slight speech impediments. Regarding his memory, the scans show no abnormality. Honestly, the brain remains an enigma to us doctors. Sometimes we think we know what’s up. But this wonderful organ surprises us time and again. Perhaps the memories may be recovered. Let’s not force it though. Give it time to heal.”  

 

"I'll be writing his prescriptions. The nurses will give it to you once the discharge papers have been processed. I'd like to check on him after one week."

 

“How about his leg?” Jared asked.

 

“Due to a damaged nerve, he would experience pain in his legs. Once damaged, the neurons are difficult to heal. It is unlike the normal cells in the body that could grow and multiply to replace other cells. The neurons are special. Once formed, they either remain or die. Perhaps a therapy may help.”

 

The two siblings left the office.

 

"It will be alright sis." Jared reassured his sister.

 

She looked up at him and nodded. "It will be alright."

 

Before they could enter the room, an orderly came with a wheel chair.

 

They all entered the room and saw the boy sitting on one of the chairs. He refused to stay on the bed any longer.

"Ready to go home?" The orderly smiled.

 

The boy raised his head and gave a half smile. He tried to stand up but Jared walked to him in long strides and lifted the boy to deposit him on the wheel chair.

 

The orderly pushed the wheel chair while Jared carried the bags.

 

Elisa went ahead of them to the nurse’s station to get the prescription and discharge slip. They met her later at the lobby after she bought the medicines from the pharmacy.

 

"I'll get the car," Jared spoke. He placed the bags on the ground.

 

"I'll look after him," the orderly said.

 

Five minutes later a car pulled over and they all got in. Elisa sat at the back with his son.

 

Just a few minutes into the ride Jared noticed his nephew in the mirror. The boy was covering his nose with his hands.

 

"You alright Jamie?" He asked.

 

The boy looked a little pale.

 

"Do you want me to pull over?"

 

The boy shook his head.

 

Elisa wanted to wrap her arms around the boy, but decided not to. Since that day when he freaked out about being touched, she hadn't had physical contact with him.

 

A mother that cannot even comfort her son.

 

Elisa closed her eyes and forced back the tears that threatened to fall.

 

"We will be home in a few minutes," she spoke softly.

 

The boy covered his nose for the whole duration of the ride.

 

When they finally stopped in front of a two-story house, he pushed open the door of the car and stumbled on the grass.

 

His body shivered in disgust after recalling the foul air freshener in the vehicle. His sense of smell had become sensitive. The strong ones made him want to cover his nose. Smoke in particular made his lungs feel irritated.

 

"Jamie!" Elisa screamed.

 

Jared ran towards the boy. He kneeled with one leg to check on him. But before he could do anything the boy jerked away from him.

 

"No!” His nephew shouted.

 

"No touch." The boy whispered.

 

Jared closed his eyes. Between letting his nephew lie on the ground and having him thrash in his arms he preferred the latter. He scoped the boy in his arms and lifted him up.

 

"Open the door quickly," he said.

 

Elisa looked at her son that was already starting to struggle on his brother's hold. She opened the door and lead the way up to Jamie's room.

 

The boy kept screaming until he was deposited on the bed. His hands were clenched into fists. His face was red and blotched with tears. 

 

"No touch!" Those were the words he kept on repeating.

 

Jared had a few scratches on his face but the pain was nothing compared to what he was witnessing at the moment. It felt as if his heart was twisted and pulled in a violent way.

 

Jamie was a normally happy boy. He was easy to please and liked to have fun. He liked to hang out with his uncle in their restaurant.

 

Where was that boy now? Jared asked.

 

"There is a medicine kit at the bathroom downstairs," Elisa spoke. "Let's get you cleaned up and patched."

 

Jared understood. It was her sister's way of telling him to just let the boy be. He followed his sister downstairs but not before saying something.

 

"I'm sorry Jamie."

 

He left the door open and walked away. 

 

There are memories that are better left forgotten.

 

Somehow Jared thought it was better that his nephew would never recall the horrible memories.

5