Chapter 10: Faggot
27 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How are you feeling bud?"

 

Jared sat on the bench near the window as he watched his nephew.

 

The boy looked at him with his bruised cheek now looking blue and purple. His head wrapped with a bandage.

 

"Who dat man Jar?"

 

"That man is-" Jared almost said s-o-b. At that point he really did not want to talk about Rick.

 

He thought of taking his nephew and sister away.

 

His sister’s marriage had been strained since his nephew came out. He felt guilty.

 

Jamie looked up at him.

 

Jared was also gay.

 

Rick had already been showing aversion to him when he spoke about his sexuality.

 

When his nephew came out to his sister and brother-in-law, Rick showed his true colors.

 

Jared felt pained for his nephew. The rejection and mean words were too much for a teen to process.

 

"Is?"

 

The boy prompted, waiting for the answer.

 

He was not about to let it go it seemed. Jared sighed.

"He is your father."

 

"Ah." The boy looked down. He was silent for a few minutes before speaking again.

 

"What faggot mean?"

 

Jared was surprised by the unexpected question. More so he felt uncomfortable answering them. How would he explain that without hurting his nephew's feelings?

 

"It is an insulting term for a gay person."

 

"Jamie gay?"

 

When Jared did not answer the boy asked another question.

 

"Gay bad here?"

 

"No. No. That's not it, Jamie. Yes, you are gay. Rick didn't take it too well. But that does not mean being gay is bad."

 

"Rick not like Jamie 'cause Jamie gay." The boy concluded.

 

Jared didn't know what to say. Not because it was true but because it was painful. Nothing hurts more than being hurt by your own parent, someone who was supposed to love you and protect you.

 

"He will come around. Don't think about him. Your mom and I love you much more than he does. I'm going to check on your mother downstairs. Do you want anything to eat?"

 

The boy shook his head.

 

Jared left the room. He found his sister in the living room cleaning the soiled carpet. The luggage and Rick were both gone.

 

"So, he left just like that huh." Jared said.

 

"He said he had to fly to New York for work."

 

Elisa paused scrubbing but eventually went back to it.

 

It was unspoken between them but they had a suspicion that it was more than for work.

 

Elisa thought that her husband was cheating. The man was gone most days. Rarely does she see him at the house.

 

The pain killer seemed to work.

 

Jamie fell asleep.

 

His consciousness drifted off.

 

He found herself floating in a dark place under water. He tried to look around and eventually saw a faint light. He went towards the source of the light. Then he noticed a boy curled up with his arms wrapped around his knees.

 

The boy’s eyes were closed but there were tears falling down his face.

 

There was no mistaking it. This boy was Jamie.

 

"Hey." Jamie tried to get the boy's attention.

 

The boy looked up and turned his head to him. Teary blue eyes met his gaze.

 

When the boy opened his mouth, bubbles flew up the water as air escaped his lungs.

 

Jamie woke up gasping.

 

Elisa entered the room carrying a tray. It was already dinner time.

 

Her eyes were filled with tears when she saw her son covered in sweat.

 

Another bad dream she could not chase away.

6