Chapter 13: Sidekick
27 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jamie was unable to hide the injury from Jared’s sharp eyes. There were abrasions on his arms. He didn’t have one on his knees but it was bruised.

 

“Fell. Accident, Jar. No biggy.”

 

Jared’s first thought was someone must have hurt his nephew.

 

Jared raised an eyebrow.

 

“You tell me when someone is hurting you okay? Don’t hide things from your uncle.”

 

Well Jamie’s opinion he was honest. He technically fell while bumping onto someone by accident.

 

“Hungry. Go eat, Jar. No lunch today.” Jamie fixed the seatbelt and threw his bag and umbrella at the backseat.

 

“Why didn’t you have lunch?”

 

“Smelly cafeteria.”

 

Jared realized that the boy’s sense of smell was very sensitive. He should have packed lunch for him. In his excitement, he forgot about it.

 

“Alright, let’s go home.”

 

A few minutes after they arrived, there was a knock at their door.

 

Jamie opened the door and found the handsome Daniel with two boxes of pizza and a case of soda.

 

“In.” Jamie retreated to allow the tall man to enter.

 

“How was your day nephew?” Daniel placed the boxes on the table.

 

“Fine. Tiring. Class too long. Imagine sit down three hours morning. Three hours afternoon. Bum sore.”

 

Daniel laughed at the boy’s misery.

 

“Well that’s first year university. You will be learning the fundamentals mostly. So long seminars are inevitable.”

 

Jared came out with three plates of lasagna.

 

“Hey, you’re here. Meeting finished quickly?”

 

“Yeah. There wasn’t much to do really so I decided to pop by. Hope you don’t mind.” Daniel stood up and helped him with the cutlery.

 

“No. Not at all. It’s great that you are here actually.” Jared smiled.

 

Jamie observed the two men’s conversation. There was an undeniable chemistry between them.

 

Jamie noticed Daniel’s subtle moves like the one where he opened a bottle of soda for Jared and putting slice of pizza on Jared’s plate.

 

Jamie decide to finish his snack quickly and leave the two to themselves.  

 

“Are you finished Jamie?” Jared asked when the boy stood up.

 

“Yeah. I do homework.”

 

“But you ate to little.” Daniel frowned.

 

“Stomach not hold much yet. Eat more Uncle Dan.”

 

Daniel recalled that the boy would have difficulty breathing when he ate too much. So, he let it go.

 

When the boy left to his room, Daniel heard a sigh.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Didn’t you notice the wounds?”

 

“Ah.” Daniel exclaimed. He listened to the man’s grievances.

 

“He said he fell by an accident.”

 

“Maybe he did. You are just over worried Jared.”

 

“If I am right… if I am right and something was happening on my watch and I didn’t do anything about it-“

 

“Jared. Jared. It’s going to be alright. I will be here. I won’t let something happen to your nephew.” Daniel placed a reassuring hand on Jared’s shoulder.

 

“It’s just-“

 

“I understand your worries. I could put a secret guard with him.”  Daniel said for their peace of mind.

 

“You don’t have to trouble yourself.” Jared refused.

 

“It is no trouble. It’s for his safety and for both our reassurance.” Daniel smiled at the man and held the other one’s hand on the table.

 

The following day, Jamie did not wake up early. His next class would be tomorrow. Basically, he only had classes every other day from 8 am to 4 pm.

 

Jared supervised the renovations for the new restaurant. There were many things to do like hiring staff and purchasing new equipment and utensils. Luckily, he had Daniel to help with the legalities of the restaurant. He got the business permit and every required paper ready.

 

They were going to purchase plates and bowls today.

 

“Do you like that Jamie? Nice choice!” Jared glanced at the particular plate that his nephew was eyeing.

 

“Yah. It look nice. Sturdy.” Jamie examined the ceramic plate.

 

A salesman came and assisted them.

 

“We also offer custom printing for ceramics if you want.” The salesman offered when he learned that they were going to use it for a restaurant.

 

“That’s great.”

 

Jared pulled out his phone and showed the man a couple of photos.

 

“Yeah. We can definitely do that. You could email us the design. We will make a sample before we start mass production. It will take time though. I hope you are not rushing.” The salesman led them to the seating area.

 

“Is one month enough of a leeway?” Jared asked.

 

“Yes. It is more than enough.”

 

Jared and the salesman negotiated about the price. Jared saw that it seemed reasonable so he proceeded with the purchase. Since they were ordering a lot, they got a discount.

 

They asked to deliver the boxes of plates at a certain date. It would arrive once the renovations were done.

 

“Where go now, Jar?”

 

Jamie noticed that the road did not go to the apartment.

 

“We’re shopping.” Jared smiled.

 

“Eh. Save money, Jar. For restaurant.”

 

Jamie also decided to invest his money for the new restaurant. He got a nice income from selling his art works with the help of Daniel. He could now be called a share holder of the restaurant. It was his first investment and he was quite excited.

 

“Don’t worry about saving up. This is my gift for your first day of school. You have to do well and make us proud okay?” Jared looked at the boy before putting his eyes back on the road.

 

“I do best. Thanks, Jar.” Jamie had no choice but to accept.

 

When the shopping was done, the back seat was filled with bags of clothes, shoes, books, and art materials.

 

“So much, Jar.” Jamie exclaimed when he placed the last shopping bag at the back.

 

Jared grinned. It wasn’t much. Not for him at least. His nephew deserved all the best.

 

They sat down on the terrace of the restaurant. Jamie watched the clouds and sun setting on the horizon as he waited for their dinner. Suddenly he turned to the man opposite him.

 

“Jar, I ask question?”

 

“What is it bud?” Jared placed the glass of lemon-flavored water. His nephew looked serious.

 

 

“What you feel for Dan?”

 

Jared coughed as he nearly choked on the water. He wiped his chin with paper towels.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Mean you like him?”

 

“I-“Jared’s face flushed. He cleared his throat and tried to be stern.

 

“You are too young to know these things.”

 

“Not young anymore, Jar. I adult. Know things.” Jamie rolled his eyes.

 

Jamie was truly an adult already. He felt like it. Snippets of images appeared in his mind sporadically, like the one about him being an artist. But just as they came suddenly, they also vanished in a flash. Jamie would be left reeling from trying to make sense of the visions.

 

“What do you know?” Jared was now curious.

 

“Light up when talk about Daniel. Happy when he with.”

 

Jared looked surprised.

 

“It obvious, Jar. So useless hiding me.” Jamie grinned.

 

“Alright. I’m sorry. You got to keep this a secret though.” Jared’s eyebrows were drawn tight.

 

“I keep with us. Say now.” Jamie shook his head.

 

“I like him. I’ve liked him for many years now but I’m afraid. What if he does not feel the same and I would get hurt in the end? I don’t want our friendship to become awkward if it does not work out.”

 

Jamie hummed.

 

He understood Jared’s fears. But there is something about being a bystander that enables Jamie to see the whole picture. He sees Daniel’s caring side and efforts. The two clearly like each other but both seemed hesitant to  make a move.

 

“Understand. But if not try then not know if it work. Dan kind and patient. Don’t afraid. I be here for Jar. If not work, can become Kingsman. You be my sidekick.” Jamie grinned.

 

Jared laughed and reached out to ruffle the boy’s hair.  

 

The following day came quickly. Jamie walked slowly to his first class for the day. He would pause and rest every few meters. By the time he reached the room his right arm was already trembling from exertion. His legs were ready to give up but he pushed himself until he could reach the nearest seat.

 

“Hey are you okay?”

 

Daphne came over when she saw a familiar face.

 

Jamie’s face was flushed and he was breathing hard.

 

“Hmmm. Just tired.”

 

“Do you want to go to the clinic? I can help you there.”

 

Jamie could not move anymore. He was too tired and even if he wanted too, his legs were too sore to move.

 

“I be alright. Just sit here and listen. It be like resting.”

 

Daphne still looked concerned but she let him be. When she saw Janine, she called the red head over.

 

“I heard that our professor is a handsome man. Our upper classmen are jealous that only us first years could have him as our professor.” Daphne started talking about the wonderful and handsome professor.

 

Jamie rested his head on the table as he pretended to listen to the bubbly girl. His attention was drawn to the stage when he heard a familiar voice from the loudspeaker.

 

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen.”

 

The girls squealed at the handsome man with a manly voice.

 

Jamie could not believe it. Why was he here?

 

“Alright settle down now. Welcome to the course subject Fundamentals of Microeconomics. This will help aspiring fine arts students like you to further your career. I’m sure most of you heard discouraging words which say that you cannot make a living from art. Trust me. You can if you know the knowledge and apply the tools.”

 

“In this subject you will be learning about the market, the demand of your customers and how to satisfy them. Your project until midterms will be a written output of a business proposal related to your chosen media. For your final requirement, it would be a presentation of your business proposal. You will be learning how to make a pitch. To pass this subject you will have to convince me and a couple of judges.”

 

Daphne nudged Jamie and Janine.

 

“He’s so handsome.” Daphne covered a squeal. Even Janine admitted that the man was gorgeous.

 

There were no sleepy heads in the class for that subject. All eyes were focused on the handsome man lecturing on the stage.

 

When class was done there were a couple of ladies surrounding the professor. They were asking this and that. Of course, it was related to the subject but the girls just wanted to hear the man’s masculine voice.

 

“I’d love to teach you more ladies but I got a meeting to attend. Don’t forget your assignments next week.” Finally, Daniel was able to leave the cluster of girls.

 

Jamie refused the two girls, when they asked him to join them for lunch. He made an excuse saying he was waiting for someone. Jamie couldn’t wait to go home. He was too tired. It was a good thing that he only had one subject for the day.

 

Jamie looked up at the approaching man.

 

“Why you here Uncle Dan?”

 

“What do you mean? Of course, I am here to teach.” Daniel feigned ignorance.

 

“They say it first time a CEO businessman came teach microeconomics in Art School.”

 

“Wow! Really? I feel honored.” Daniel touched his chest.

 

Jamie sighed.

 

“Why haven’t you left yet?”

 

“No can stand up.”

 

“Do you have other classes later?”

 

“No. This last today.”

 

“Alright, let’s get you home.”

 

Jamie’s face was flushed when he was lifted into the man’s arms.

 

“Put down Uncle Dan.”

 

“What? You feel shy?”

 

“Of course. I grown man not baby. People talk.”

 

“Unfortunately for you, big baby, you have no choice. And to hell with those people. If they say something bad about you, I will personally glue their mouths shut.”

 

Jamie covered a giggle.

 

Daniel walked to the parking lot. He saw that Jared was sitting on the hood of his car.

 

“What happened?” Jared approached them.

 

“Let’s get you both home first.” Daniel told him.

 

Jared opened the passenger seat of his car. Daniel carefully deposited the boy.

 

“Thank Uncle Dan.” Jamie smiled.

 

Jared took the backpack and umbrella from Daniel.

 

“Thank you for being there.”

 

“Don’t thank me. This is what family does.”

 

Jared’s heart skipped a bit. Could it be possible that Daniel also had feelings for him?

5