Chapter 22: A Friend or Foe
19 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Jamie! My baby, how have you been?” Elisa gathered the boy in a bear hug when he entered the living room.

 

Surprised by the sudden action, the boy remained unmoving.

 

But less than a minute later he returned the hug.

 

“Okay. How you?” Jamie pulled away from the embrace.

 

“Good. I’m good. I’ve been busy with the restaurant back home.” Elisa sat on the couch so that they could have a more comfortable conversation.

 

The boy stretched his aching legs once he sat on the padded seat.

 

Silently, Elisa paid attention to his movements. A sad look appeared in her eyes.

 

If only she could take her son’s burdens, she would happily do so.

 

This boy was so young and yet he had already experienced a lot of grievance. Elisa was so thankful that she still had her son with her. She did not know what life would be like if Jamie died two years ago.

 

Unable to hold her feelings any longer, she pulled her son for another hug.

 

“You okay Ma?” The boy asked. He could sense the melancholy in the room.

 

“Yes, of course I’m okay.” Elisa sniffled. “I’m just – I just miss you so much that’s all.”

 

“Miss you too.” The boy rubbed the arm that held him. “No cry now. I here. You here. We together.”

 

“Yeah. I won’t cry anymore.” Elisa wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

 

The mother and son chatted in the living room until Jared arrived in the evening. The boy went to have a shower while the siblings bonded over cooking for dinner.

 

“How are you and Daniel?”

 

Jared flushed at the question. After some pep talk from his nephew, he stopped shoving his feelings away and tried to look at the brighter side of the situation. What surprised him was a dinner a week later with Daniel confessing his feelings to him. Overwhelmed, he couldn’t help but be in tears. Instead of his fears happening, what he experienced was an overwhelming happiness. Now they had been going steady for six months.

 

“We’re doing well,” the chef replied with a smile. “I feel so lucky that my best friend is in love with me. It is- It feels surreal.”

 

“That’s understandable. Sure, there are best friends who become lovers but it does not happen all the time with gay people,” Elisa remarked as she prepared the fruits for the smoothie. Her son loved the mixed berries so she brought some from the supermarket.

 

“Exactly.” Jared stirred the sauce while he waited for the steak to cook. He moved on to mash and season the potatoes.

 

“I’m so happy for you Jared.” Elisa turned to look at her younger brother. Her lips were curled up in a smile. “You deserve all the love in the world.”

 

“So do you, Big Sis.” Jared returned the smile.

 

Dinner was a happy occasion. The siblings talked about the restaurant and the problems that they encountered. The boy talked about school and how he was doing with his therapy. Life was going great for the small family.

 

After the meal, the boy helped clean up and talked with his mother a little more before he went to his room to do his projects.

 

Later in the evening the two siblings sat down at the veranda enjoying the cool summer night. Both of them held a glass of red wine as they talked.

 

As the night progressed, Jared felt the shift in the atmosphere. His sister became quiet and solemn. She would only become like that when something heavy weighed in her mind. Jared wondered what could have been the problem.

 

Eventually Elisa told him about it.

 

The news was good but at the same time it carried danger.

 

Jared was hopeful but at the same time he was worried with his sister being alone in another city.

 

Things were not as simple as he wished. They were now dealing with something bigger than they thought would be.

 

But he will not drop the fight. He will do whatever it took to get justice for his nephew.  

 

His clenched his hand in a tight fist.

 

“Why don’t you stay with us until this thing is over?” Jared asked.

 

Elisa took a deep breath. “It’s not that bad yet. I’m sure I will be fine. Don’t worry about me. Take care of Jamie for me?”

 

Jared’s brows were furrowed. Of course, he would. It goes without question that he would watch over the boy. He placed his hand over his sister’s in a gesture of comfort.

 

“Always.” The word carried an eternal promise.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Elisa went back the next day. She could not leave the restaurant for too long. Jared insisted to drive her back after ensuring that Daniel would look out for his nephew. He was so thankful for having a kind and caring partner.

 

After the classes, Jamie met up with his friends. He was curious about the new friend that Charles brought.

 

“Guys, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend, Bentley.” Charles proudly said. He introduced their names to everyone.

 

Bentley seemed fine until Jamie was introduced. Something flashed in his eyes. Thankfully, nobody noticed anything.

 

Jamie and the girls went to find a seat in the café while Charles and Bentley were left to order their drinks.

 

“So, what do you think of my friends?” Charles asked with a big smile on his face.

 

Bentley’s Adam’s apple moved as he thought quickly for an answer. “So long as they treat you nicely, then I have no problem with them.”

 

Charles nudged him. “Oh, come on. Drop your ‘I’ll-beat-them-up-if-they-hurt-my-boyfriend’ look.”

 

Bentley just pulled him close and kissed his forehead.

 

The two carried the drinks on the table. Bentley was more reserved during their conversation. The group could not blame him though. It was their first meeting and they understood that it takes time to be comfortable with other people.

 

When they parted, Bentley could not help but give a side glance at the smaller boy holding a black umbrella. The two girls held the boy quickly before he could stumble on the pavement.

 

Something heavy weighed on Bentley’s mind.

3