Chapter 26: JAMIE’S REVENGE
25 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The doctor, whom Daniel talked to, checked Rick’s medical records and found something. He wanted to do further exams, but his patient wanted to be discharged that very day. The doctor had no choice but to let Rick go. When the discharge process was done, he instructed Rick to pick up his medicine and supplements at the pharmacy.

 

Rick declined, saying he had no money to pay for it.

 

“It has already been paid for courtesy of a government program.”

 

Rick said nothing but picked up the pills on his way out. In his entire law practice, he knew no government program that gave free medicine away in a private hospital.

 

He did not want to go back to his spot under the bridge so he walked around the city. The places that he could sleep were limited. Some areas of the city were claimed by a local gang. The homeless people in another corner made him feel unwelcome. A man with blood shot eyes gave him a chilling glare. He was driven away by a security guard when he tried to set up his cardboard at the back alley of an apartment building.

 

Darkness loomed and snow began to fall.

 

Rick decided to go to the last place he knew. He walked to the outskirts of the city. In that area, there was less chance of being spotted by patrolmen. He would be exposed to the elements but at least he wouldn’t be driven away. Other homeless people camped there. Before Rick could step further into the bushes, he heard a car stop behind him. He turned around and was blinded by the headlights.

 

The high beam was switched off and was replaced by the low beam. The driver came out and walked towards Rick.

 

Rick’s eyes adjusted with the light. He saw the same man from the hospital.

 

“What do you want?” Rick did not want anything to do with this guy especially if he was one of them faggots.

 

“It would be better if you come with me, Mr. Carlton.” Trygvason was straightforward with his answer.

 

“And why would I do that?” Rick scoffed.

 

“It would be unwise to stay outside at this season, Sir. Plus, I don’t want to freeze together with you in this cold winter night. I would rather be home eating a warm meal right now.” Trygvason blinked his snow-covered lashes. He could be honest if he wanted to, especially when he was exhausted. 

 

Rick walked to the direction of the city and passed the man.

 

Trygvason stood rooted in his spot. But when Rick called his name, he turned around to face him.

 

“Trygvason is it?” Rick shouted.

 

Trygvason straightened up and responded with a voice that was loud and clear. “Eric Trygvason, Sir.”

 

“Well what are you waiting for? Start the car.” Even Rick wanted a warm meal.

 

Trygvason shook the snow off his hair and clothes. He wiped the melted snow off of his face as he walked to his vehicle. He turned the heater on as soon as he started the car. Then, he reversed and drove back to the city.

 

“You can sleep in the other bedroom. There is a shower there. You can also use the washing machine if you want. I’m going to change then start dinner.” Trygvason’s voice faded when he entered his own bedroom.

 

Rick walked to the other room. After a quick check, he placed his backpack on the floor. Then he opened the bathroom. The first thing he wanted to do was to clean up. Rick scrubbed away the dirt and dead skin. Dark brown water flushed down the drain until it became clear. It was the first time in a few months that he had truly felt clean.

 

He changed into the only pair of clothes that he had on his backpack. When he went out of the room, his nose was filled by the aroma of herbs from the kitchen. His hungry stomach made itself known with a growl.

 

“We’re having pasta Bolognese. It’s the fastest that I can cook.” Trygvason lifted the pot of sauce and placed it on the dining table. The plates, cutlery, and pasta were already laid out. “I don’t want to keep standing up just to get seconds. I hope you don’t mind, Mr. Carlton.”

 

“I don’t mind.” Rick was too hungry to care. “No need to call me Mr. Carlton. Just call me Rick.”

 

“Well, what do you want to drink Rick? I got beer, orange juice, and coffee.” Trygvason opened the refrigerator.

 

“Beer, please. Thank you.” Rick took a seat.

 

Trygvason brought two cans of chilled beer and two glasses on the table.

 

They did not talk during the meal. Both were too hungry speak. Trygvason felt full after the third helping. Rick stopped eating a few minutes ago.

 

Trygvason told Rick to feel at home at the apartment. If Rick wanted to use the television, he could do so.  Rick declined. He said he was going to sleep.  Trygvason himself wanted to crash. He was up for more than 50 hours.

 

The following day, Rick woke up late. It was already 10 o’clock in the morning. He took what he considered as his last shower. Then, he retrieved his clothes from the dryer. He placed them in his hiking backpack, ignoring the manila envelope inside. From the moment it was handed to him, he’d never opened it nor took a peek inside. He was not interested.

 

Rick went out of the room with his backpack slung to his shoulders.  He looked around the living room and the kitchen but found no signs of Trygvason. He put his shoes on at the door way and was about to stand up when the front door was opened.

 

Trygvason entered the apartment and noticed that Rick was on his way out. “You’re leaving?”

 

“Yes.” Rick stood up.

 

“Is there a place where you can go?” Trygvason removed his shoes and hang his jacket.

 

Rick became silent for a few seconds before responding. “Thank you for your hospitality but I have to go.”

 

“A storm is coming in two days.” Trygvason tried one last time. “Weather report came out this morning.”

 

“That’s strange.” Rick remarked.

 

“Well, I wouldn’t be surprised considering how the climate had changed over the past decades.” Trygvason hinted that Rick should know more about it since he was older. “Anyway, just stay here until the winter.”

 

“I’ll have to trouble you then.” Rick sighed. He removed his shoes and returned his backpack in the spare room.

 

The storm came one and a half days earlier. It ravaged the city for three days. If he had insisted on moving out, he would have been one of the homeless people who unfortunately died of hypothermia.  

 

In the days that followed, Rick remained in the apartment. He knew more about Trygvason who was easy to get along with. The young man went home at different hours, sometimes late in the evening, other times early in the morning. Rick did not ask about his job. It wasn’t any of his business.

 

Rick felt restless after being cooped in the apartment. With almost two years of becoming homeless, he was used to moving around.

 

Trygvason encouraged Rick to apply for a job. He handed Rick a couple of flyers. He told Rick to use his apartment address. Most employers shunned people without an address because it meant that they were homeless.

 

Rick felt ashamed for being a burden in the last few days. He borrowed Trygvason’s computer and printed out his resume. He debated whether to include his most recent job in his employment record. In the end, he still typed it. Employers would do a background check anyway and they would learn of his past.

 

He handed his resume personally despite the snowy winter day. He wanted to walk around to break out of a slump. Perhaps the cold temperature would shock it out of him. Most of the response he received was a let-down. He was over qualified they said. But he had a great suspicion that the cause was the criminal case against him. The news articles certainly did not help. His reputation was already tarnished.

 

The one email that gave a favorable response was a customer service representative job. They asked him for an interview the following day. Trygvason brought him out to shop for a corporate attire. He refused, but Trygvason insisted. Rick promised to pay him back in the future.

 

There were other applicants aside from Rick. It turned out that the company had a mass hiring. They needed people for new accounts in preparation for the Yuletide season. Rick passed the two screenings. He was told that he had another interview. He was surprised when he learned who would conduct it. It was uncommon to meet the CEO during the hiring process. Most of the procedure was handled by the HR. The HR manager told him that the CEO was hands on in some cases. Rick nodded in understanding.

 

The CEO looked to be in his late thirties or early forties. He was young but the questions he asked were difficult, some were triggering for Rick.  As expected, he was asked about his past. He kept his response brief, but he was honest with all his answers.

 

The CEO approved of him.  Like all newly hired employees, he was given a probationary status that would last for six months. He would also undergo two evaluations in the span of five months, the first one being after three months.

 

Rick exited the building filled with overwhelming happiness. He felt a burst of hope, something that he had not experienced in years. He shared the good news to Trygvason when he returned to the apartment.

 

Trygvason wanted to eat outside for dinner to celebrate Rick’s new job.

 

“Nah. I’ll have to pass.” Rick waved his hand. “They need me to work tomorrow.”

 

“That soon?” Trygvason was impressed.

 

“When I get my first pay check, I’ll buy you a drink.” Rick could not contain his happiness. The bright expression on his face made it look as though he never had a sullen mood the day before.

 

Alone in his room that night, Trygvason sent text messages. He hoped that the kid would stop bombarding his inbox with questions.

 

Jamie wanted to see his estranged father. However, Jared was not keen on the idea. Trygvason’s boss, Daniel, supported Jared’s decision.

 

Trygvason was just a CPO. He had no right to meddle with the family. But the short skinny kid blackmailed him. Jamie said he would tell his Uncle Daniel that Trygvason forced him to do adult stuff.

 

It was no secret that Daniel Phillip adored Jamie. During that time when Daniel and Jared were only best friends and not yet dating, Daniel considered Jamie as his own nephew. Jamie’s advice was the encouragement that Daniel needed to stop being a coward. Daniel confessed his deeper feelings to Jared. Their bond kept going strong as time passed.

He got hired. I don’t know how you did it.”

 

“He refused my offer for a dinner celebration. He was too excited for his job tomorrow.”

 

“He looked very happy.”

 

“Now, go to sleep. Perhaps you will get taller when you wake up tomorrow, kid.

 

After sending the last text message, Trygvason placed his phone on the table and turned the lights off. He closed his eyes for a well-deserved sleep. But, not even a minute has passed when his phone rang.

 

“Argh!” Trygvason groaned. He stretched his arm to stop the annoying device. When he answered the call, Jamie’s soft voice filled his ear.

 

“Hello! Tryg?”

 

“Yeah?” Trygvason answered in a soft tone. He found it difficult to be angry at the kid. Jamie was too kind even if he could be annoying when he was persistent.

 

“I got great convince -ing skills.”

 

Trygvason chuckled. “I think I have a first-hand experience of that.”

 

He heard Jamie laugh.

 

“I sorry. No want to lie but you be stone head sometimes. Diff cult to make deal.”

 

“Says the one who sneaked out for months and got caught. I fell for your trap, didn’t I?”

 

“Hey!”

 

Trygvason imagined that Jamie must be pouting that moment.

 

“Anyway, go and finish your home works or whatever you kids do. Better yet, go to sleep if you got nothing to do.” As much as Trygvason wanted to continue listening, his brain was adamant that it needed to shut down.

 

“Will do. Thank again, Tryggy.”

 

Trygvason earned the pet name after helping Jamie for a couple of times. Jamie said he only gave pet names to the people he was close to. But Trygvason had a suspicion that it was Jamie’s revenge. Trygvason couldn’t stop calling Jamie a kid some days.

2