Chapter 131
315 8 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Okay, okay. I made the prince help a person throughout a whole weekend, but how do I help someone? I thought about it during the whole time while eating mediocre food with Mary, showing my chaperone what I could do, even during my free time after she admitted I was perfect … or something along those lines. If I wanted, I could act like a princess perfectly. In any case, I was still a bit mentally absent as I helped Mary with her work and went through the finances of different villages.

“Hey, mum?” I started, not really sure how I was going on after that.

“Yeah?” She said absentmindedly.

“Elves are living in the Worchester Kingdom, don´t they?” I read a bit about them, but they seemed to be extremely ostracised from society.

“A few, I guess. They don’t hold any positions though and most wouldn’t even hire them.” Exactly as expected. But if she knew about them, I was bound to find one if I searched long enough.

“Are there any in the capital?” I asked swiftly.

“In the slums probably. Why are you asking though?”

“Hmm … dad is dying tomorrow, isn´t he?” I switched over to whispering in case anyone was listening.

“I´m not following.” She said quietly, finally looking up from her documents.

“Let a few elves kill him instead of bandits.” I stated and smiled innocently.

“That´s completely contrary to the goal of achieving long-lasting peace with the elves.” She stated, rightfully so, if we didn’t act afterwards.

“Not entirely. If I, the person who was hit the hardest by his death, strives onward and forgives the elves for their deeds, wouldn’t that incentivise others to do the same?” To be a role model during the day was quite a hard goal to achieve. But being popular opened the heart of many to one’s words, a feat I wouldn’t be able to pull off if I was going to stick to the darkness.

“Only if they look up to you though.” That was the issue I saw myself. I was powerless during the day, I could only use my words and my position. I hoped Mary had no problems with that because I was finally trying to do something good … kind of.

“Oh, don’t worry, I´m already giving my hardest to become a beacon of light in this world shrouded by darkness.” I said.

“And who is this darkness you need to shine through?” I cleared my throat and held my palm in front of my face to muffle these sounds.

“True … I´ll tell Tom to wreak havoc.” If I could create an evil I was going to defeat with my own actions, I would suddenly be a hero in the eyes of many. Sure some would need to die, but -

“No!?” Apparently, I wasn’t allowed to … well, I promised her I wouldn’t use my position to do evil stuff and although I thought of it as a grey area because I would only profit from it because of my position and it wasn’t my position I was using to spread chaos. In any case, no havoc for Tom. I´m sure he would love to do so, but he was already working on another project after all.

“Hmm … too bad. In any case, I´m out now.” I said, ordered the papers in front of me and stood up.

“What? We haven’t finished our work yet?” Mary said indignantly.

“Have you looked outside? It is in the middle of the night.” I pointed towards the window while walking towards the door. I could have gone earlier as the deal was to help her until the sun went down, but I strangely liked to spend my time with her in silence.

“Oh.” She said and blinked a few times.

“Goodnight!” I said and rushed out of the door, towards my room.

“Goodnight …” I heard, just before I closed the door behind me.

A few minutes later, I was back in my own room and eyed the sleeping clothing the maids put on my bed. I sighed, wrinkled it a bit and then retrieved my clothing suitcase. While changing, I thought of how bothersome this trio was. I couldn’t really refute all their approaches as I had to be friendly at all times. It was a hassle dealing with their constant helpfulness and it tired me out mentally more than expected. I needed a break from the person I was during the day at daytime. I was bound to make some mistakes as I forced myself to be friendly for hours without end, daily without any interruption except for the night.

It was exactly at the moment as I put the flag of our organization, a three-pronged crown on a black background, in my backpack when I had the best idea in a little while. I always had great ideas, so it was kind of hard to judge how long I didn’t have an idea this good though …

In any case, I soon found myself fleshing out the details as I strolled out of the mansion, headed to the hidden underground tunnel, and soon left the noble district. The air smelled fresher than the last time I visited the commoner district, although it could also be the case that my nose is continuing to adapt to this stench of human civilization. I quickly ran through the streets, headed into the red light district and rushed down the stairs of ‘The Red Baron’ after waving to the woman at the counter.

I only left the flag and a simple note as I couldn’t find anyone hanging around.

‘Find me an elf, older than sixteen with an acceptable appearance. No scars on the face and so on. Create a situation where I can help her myself and make it look like I didn’t know about anything. Send me the place and time as soon as you are ready. Do it fast.’

Sadly, my time was running out already as I spend too much time with Mary. Swiftly, I headed out, headed towards a suspicious person who smelled funny, traded a few coins for some equally suspicious ware and headed back nearly immediately. As soon as I was back in my room, changed into my sleeping wear and threw myself on my own bed, waiting for the new day to arrive while I read ‘Application of Magic in Combat – How to be a battle Mage’ with great interest and took the drugs I bought. Sadly, it was far too little to drug me anything more than a bit, even though I bought everything he had.

 

 

8