Chapter 139
434 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Twelve representatives of the families deeply connected to the Whites’ bloodline gathered in the dining room of the mansion. We ate pulled pork and the others were served alcoholic beverages while I was given apple juice. It was a feast, and yet the atmosphere was oppressive as every one of them ate silently. We were all here to mourn the death of my father who never existed.

And yet, they were all so sad as if someone precious died, at least that’s what they tried to portray. In fact, none of them was saddened, so there was at least some intelligence in them. They all ate fast as if this was the best food they ever ate while I haven’t eaten a bit and Mary also barely touched her food.

A bell rang in the distance nine times and Mary touched her glass with a silver spoon. Everyone looked towards her as she stood up.

“Gentlemen, it is time to bid our farewells to the person I loved.” I raised my eyebrow slightly as this was nowhere in the script we had written down. She just admitted she was never a loyal wife, but rather slept with another man, something that was frowned upon. Everyone knew that Arthur wasn’t my father, there was no need to present it to everyone like this and damage her own reputation further. “He was a great man, more so than Arthur ever was.”

I shook my head slightly, but she simply continued. “He gifted me my beautiful and kind daughter. Through her, he will stay in my heart forever. Even though she is so young, she is incredibly intelligent and I believe, no, I am sure she is blessed by the gods. I want her to succeed me, even though she was born out of wedlock, even though she is a girl, even, or rather because she is the daughter of the person I love.”

As simple as that, she voiced her intention to change up the succession line, which was her right, but mostly used when the oldest boy was incompetent, definitely not to legitimize a bastard born out of wedlock.

What did she expect to happen? Applause? A clap on her shoulder? I seriously couldn’t tell. Aghast, I could only keep track of the representatives of the families we invited. They were obviously more than unhappy with this development as it meant they would need to follow the orders of a bastard girl. Quite a few were already struggling to accept Mary as the head of the house. But following me who they never heard of? Simply impossible and Mary knew that very well. Even when I would do everything I could to convince them otherwise, I needed to go away after three years at best. There was simply no alternative for me.

Previously, these men all hoped Mary would try again with another nobleman and bear a male successor or simply let another man of her extended family take over, but these hopes were now all crushed. The worst thing was though that Mary must have known this. There was simply no other way.

In silence, she simply took my hand, pulled me up and marched out of the room in utter satisfaction while smirking at me. I stayed quiet, eerily quiet the whole time as we walked towards the five completely black carriages. I turned my head from time to time and noticed how the representatives were following us in a short distance, quietly discussing amongst themselves. Only as the carriage door shut behind us did I breathe out unhappily and voiced my dissatisfaction.

“Mary … what the fuck? I already told you I don’t want and cannot be your successor. You don´t want it either, so why did you utter this pile of crap?” She was slightly taken aback, but still smiled as she sat down on the opposite bench.

“I won´t let you go. Not after one year, two years, never.” I smiled sweetly for a few seconds as she said that.

“I will not go away! I will stick around, but not as Lucy White.” I stated.

“And that’s the issue. As Lucy White, I am certain you will do the world some good. Whatever identity you pick up afterwards, I´m sure it won´t be that of a saint. You want control, don’t you? I´ll give you control, but it is conditional. If you ever abuse your powers to do evil, this control will be stripped of you faster than you can look. You are trying your hardest to be seen as a saint in the eyes of others, just so that you can be seen as a role model and guide others wherever you want them to. I do not believe you are a completely evil person. You wouldn’t guide us to our downfall.”

“And how certain are you of that? You know my past, Mary, you shouldn’t trust me like this.” I stated with a deadpan expression.

“There is not a hint of doubt within me.” She said, staring right into my eyes. As far as I could see, she told me the truth the whole time which made everything even messier for me.

“That doesn’t solve my ageing problem.” I noted.

“We will find a solution to it, I am sure of that.” She said with so much determination that I couldn’t refute her outright.

“Mary … you will regret this.” I said, trying to convince her one last time.

“This isn´t changing my opinion. Or rather, your words made me even more adamant. I will officially alter the line of succession next week.” I breathed out unhappily and stared out of the window. She wouldn’t change her opinion, no matter what I did. Being declared as an official successor was basically the same as setting up a testament.

“This will cause an uproar.” I said after we were already through the gate in the noble wall.

“And you will deal with it, don’t you?” She said.

“It´s not like I have another choice.” I stated, unhappy that I had to think of a way to solve yet another issue.

“Great! Oh, on a side note, you will have to work a lot harder now to manage the domain. I´ll even exempt you from taking the lessons with your chaperone.” She said, which was great, in all honesty.

“Great … hey, they were already scrapped though?” I said, realizing that my chaperone herself was more than surprised by me and didn’t ask me to come again.

“Oh, were they? In any case, aren’t you happy now that you can sign all the documents yourself and don’t have to give me them?”

“Did you do all of that so that you could reduce a bit of your workload?!” I exclaimed and pouted.

“Who knows?” She said, amused about my reaction.

“Hey, mum?” I started as I already found a solution to this particular problem which was in fact not changing my plans at all as she had announced everything at the perfect time.

“Yes, darling?” She asked, still smiling brightly.

“Can I have an elf as a maid?” Her smile froze faster than anticipated.

“…”

“Thank you.” She didn’t say anything. But after what she did, I doubted my action would be much worse.

9