Chapter 175
209 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was quite rare to see Tom rubbing his eyes because of all the books he had to read. We were in the little library of the White´s mansion, going through books and newspapers alike. All for one single person. Sirius.

He managed to escape my grasp which was something I respected from the bottom of my heart. But he was the leader of a rivalling gang and just stole something from underneath our nose. Not only that, but he basically spat at the D’Antonio family by doing so. He must have been quite confident in himself and his gang.

We had to find out anything we could, from finances to hobbies, and even where he came from. Especially where he came from in fact. Because he was dangerous. His race was dangerous. The few I found in the cells of purgatory could all deprecate a man with their bare hands which was indeed something I respected. They were indeed on of the less dangerous races in purgatory, but their teamwork was top notch, enabling them to fight off even stronger foes.

Werewolves weren´t a known species on Solaris. No book about them, nobody knew them. But Sirius … he was one of them. Definitely.

“Why are you so worried about a few doggos? We have five months left.” He explained and yawned loudly.

“Doggos? They don’t turn into fucking chihuahua you idiot. It is a wolf you imbecile.” I growled angrily.

“Oh, yes, bully me more, that’s exactly my thing.” He said, which was entirely untrue. He wanted to provoke me as much as possible, mostly because he was fed up with it as well. We have spent way too long on a man nobody knew anything about. Silver hair was incredibly rare, and yet, he just appeared a few years ago with his gang and took over the illegal slave trade.

Nothing before that … as if he just … poof and there he was. Just like the Devourer …

“The ring. Where did that come from?” It had to be something important.

“How should I know? We sacked everything non-magical and that thing was among them. Why don’t we start with questioning the rat who sold him the information what was sold? Is probably easier than … whatever we are doing here.” He explained supressing a yawn in the process.

“For that, we would need to probe deeply into the D’Antonio family. For now, we cannot deal with two groups at the same time.” I explained and sat down on a nearby chair, hoping to calm down a bit. “By the way, how my men do we have?”

“Currently one hundred twenty, most of them are bouncers at the brothels. I´m starting to divert funds now to recruit and train assassins … in secret, obviously. Don’t expect anything though … I doubt they can hold a candle to you.” Tom said dejected even though I was sure I could use cannon fodder somewhere.

“Good job … so we have to deal with these doggos on our own.” I concluded and rested my forehead on the table. This was indeed starting to get worrisome as we had originally planned to take them out second. But this man gave me the feeling of being troublesome if we let him live.

“Can I go to bed now?” Tom asked, yawning loudly once again.

“Aye.” I mumbled and closed my own eyes. I thought we would finally go into the offensive … but now we were reacting once again.

Tom left the room swiftly as I started to crumble up a few newspapers in anger. Only as ten minutes or so went by did I finally set upright again and stood up. Thinking about everything I knew about werewolves, I walked through the room.

“Vampires are known to the people on Solaris, despite me not finding a single one of them … and Werewolves are unknown here … what does that say … what does that say, goddammit?” It was highly probable that a werewolf escaped purgatory´s prisons, but I couldn’t confirm it. I could only hope none of the more dangerous races got here … because I would be fucked otherwise as this planet would turn into an horror house immediately.

“Did the gods send him here?” I asked myself but didn´t come far with answering that question. For some reason though, I didn´t think this was the case. It wouldn´t make any sense to send him after all. He was too catchy and would get my attention the instant I noticed him because of his unusual race. No, there was something else going on.

Something that had to do with the ring. No … the sapphire on it? He wanted it badly, that much was clear … maybe it was time to buy some jewellery.

Well, in any case it was too late for that and so, I went through the newspapers once more to find out anything of interest. A new alchemy recipe developed to blow shit up? A random earl died of natural illness? A new royal guard captain? A saint was selected? I went through years of news, but couldn’t find any news even remotely connected to the head of the Wolf Street Gang.

Nothing, except their crimes of course which were quite random and started around a year ago. They focused mostly on abductions and illegal slavery, but the rest looked completely without any plan. Or they tried to divert attention away from their real objective.

 

5