Chapter 234
142 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Woohoo! Book one, chapter 234!

569, 73, 23, 24, 13, 7, Inf.

That was the numbers describing my week the best. We murdered 569 peasants, 73 guards out of a really large group who dared to approach me, swooped out 23 rats who let themselves be captured or attempted to betray us, while I worked 24 hours thirteen days in a row. The shortest time, seven hours, was spent on visiting the orphanage which was in all honestly the only fun I had during the days. Otherwise, it was spent mostly on organizing a rebellion, spending a shit ton of money on peasants, knowing full well we would be broke again within a few weeks because we were spending even more money on acquiring a rare illegal mimicry, and even more on bribing royal guards.

And that was definitely art in itself. Because of our actions, the ‘suicide’ rate of royal guards even tripled as we couldn’t hire everyone we needed. Still, we had a rather lucky catch with the captain of the night watch who could be pressured into helping us out a little bit after we caught him sleeping with another man, completely drugged of course.

But it was tiring. And infinite amount of attention went into all these things in addition to all of my other saintly activities like trying to mediate between the criminal scum of the underworld and the nobles who wanted to apply the law fully, even on all the copper coins. We still stole from the scum of nobility, but this scum had unsurprisingly a lot of influence. They denied us every way of getting their crimes into the newspaper and thus, we were left with no other choice but to throw flyers in the commoner district.

And quite ironically, I condemned these divisionary actions myself as Lucy White who desperately tried to bring peace everywhere, putting me in a favourable light in the eyes of the citizens and the peasants, but certainly not the nobles who hated the actions of ‘The Crown’ which was still as ambiguous of an organisation as ever. Nobody knew who the head of this organisation was, nobody knew who the important figures were. But the guards, they knew. They knew we were everywhere and nowhere. In every brothel, in every hut outside the city walls, everywhere. It even went so far that we suddenly had subsidiary organisations I never heard of before … we were popular.

And yet, every attempt at raiding our bases always resulted in nothing. They were either evacuated beforehand or simply held no valuable information. Because even within our organisation, nobody really knew what was going on. Even Luke who knew my face didn´t know as he never saw the saint before and probably never would as he was under surveillance just like everyone from that old group was.

Only Tom, I and to a certain extent the whore knew what was going on completely. That enabled us to act without caring about betrayal of our subordinates, but also put a heavy burden on our shoulders.

“I´m so tired!” I exclaimed, my forehead on the desk, piles and piles of documents around me.

“Stop being tired then. The reception of the guests starts in two hours.” Hannah stated, already wearing a beautiful green dress, exposing a little bit of her neckline and the sides of her thighs.

“The important people always come late.” I stated, lifting up my head in the process.

“The saint doesn’t.” Well, shit, she was right. I was always on time, no matter the importance of the event.

“Uhh … I don’t wanna wear that thing.” I said, imagining for a second to go there with my usual clothes which were already too much for my tastes.

“You designed it yourself.” Hannah stated, frowning slightly.

“But it is shit. No offence to the seamstress, she did a great job, but the design was flawed from the start.” I said, holding my head in frustration.

“Hmm …” She said, looking at me and knowing exactly I would wear it.

“Okay … I´ll get dressed.” I said and stood up from the chair, only to sit on one in front of the mirror down again. Hannah immediately went out of the room and entered with a more experienced maid shortly afterwards while I was already fumbling with my hair.

“Milady.” She said as she entered the room, white flowers in her hand and hairpieces.

“Alison, thank you very much for your help.” I said, already smiling again, even though I knew the next few hours would be pure torture to me.

And they were. At first Hannah and Alison combed my hair and sprayed some substance on it, making my blonde hair reflect the light even more. That was one gold coin thrown out of the window.

Then, they parted my hair down the centre and let everything flow over my ears and made a bun out of it on the back of my head, sophisticated with rare white flowers that promised luck whenever found. Another two gold coins for that alone …

After that, Alison did my makeup which I could do myself in all honesty, and Hannah took care of my nails. A few more silver coins out of the window, going by how much Alison put on my face, neck and neckline to hide my deathly pale skin. I had luck though. Being pale was very trendy with noble ladies.

Anyway, already feeling like a doll as Alison left the room to get my dress, I stood up and hated myself. I already looked like a flower girl, so innocent as if I could never harm a fly.

Before Alison even came back, Hannah presented me with the next horror. A pair of white glittery high heels with around four centimetres high. I hated these things so much. So … so much. They felt uncomfortable the moment I put them on and as the heel didn´t look too sturdy, I doubted I could kick anyone with these. At least they would snap of easily, enabling me to …

Hannah was looking at me weirdly, so I coughed loudly to ease the tension. I had no plan of fighting that night. Luke would continue to cover for my absence, but I would be as innocent as I looked.

Not too soon afterwards, Alison came back with a white dress, sparkling in the light of the magical lamp, nearly forcing me to puke. Silver yawn was woven into it in the form of flowers, doves with an olive branch within the beak and so, so many more illustrations of what I stood for as Lucy White.

It went to the ground as I wore it, covering my shoes completely. The only thing that differentiated this dress from a wedding dress was the lacking shoulder part, revealing most of my shoulders and arms until my long gloves, going unto my elbows covered my skin again. Luckily I didn´t know how much the dress actually costed …

“You look beautiful.” Alison commented, making me sigh quietly. I did not look beautiful. I looked innocent, girly, cute and way too nice … so exactly the opposite of what I liked to look like.

“Thank you very much, Alison. I think Hannah will take care of the rest.” I said, a bright smile on my face as if her compliment touched me.

“As you wish, Milady.” She said, curtsied in her maid clothing and left the room shortly afterwards.

Slowly, I turned around in a circle, enabling Hannah to fumble a bit more with my dress until it sat properly. As soon as she finished though, she went on one knee and looked up to me.

“My dear Lucy, do you want to marry me?” She said jokingly and made me grit my teeth.

“My dear Hannah, I am so saddened to inform you I already have a future husband in mind.” I answered, smiling madly at her.

 

3