Chapter 7: Hunting
249 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The penitentiary of Francisco Morazan was the biggest prison in the department, a unit of administration akin to a state, of Francisco Morazan. As the strange superhuman entity reached the skies above the prison, merely half a second after departing in the first place, he studied the prison down below him. 

The prison was a large, concrete building, situated near the top of a large hill, and in the middle of it was a vast courtyard where a number of men, prisoners and guards alike, engaged in idle activity. Nathan could easily hear every whispered conversation and every thought in the minds of the prison's inhabitants. The young man chuckled as he studied the prison and began to muse over how to approach the place efficiently.


I had two prevailing trains of thought at the moment. One of them was a strategic train of thought that was focused on how to most easily dominate the prison. The other was a more fun train of thought that was exploring the upgrades I could earn to my powers, as well as which physiological powers were already, in strict theory, accessible to me.

My strategic train of thought focused on the inhabitants of the prison and effortlessly read their minds. In an instant, their full life stories were known to me, from their every moment of weakness to their every single crime. In doing that I was able to instantly add their knowledge of the prison to my own and be able to begin to strategize about who to steal the most points from. 

My other dominant train of thought was more fun. By questioning the system I could learn more about myself, both my present-day self and my future self. At the moment a small part of me, one quiet voice amid the loudness of my mind, was conversing with the system to learn as much as possible. 

"So are any physiological powers available to me at the moment?" That voice asked, hoping for a few distinctive, and certainly quite possible, answers.

"As you may have guessed... yes there are! Your type-orange powers, those that have granted you lumokinesis, pyrokinesis, umbrakinesis, and aerokinesis, are all 'Gateway' powers that, when mixed with your nature as a changeling, serve as entries to gaining greater elemental prowess. Any of the classical elements, as well as light and darkness, that you can control, you can also gain greater power over by becoming an elemental being of that particular element." The system responded, causing my head to begin to swim in potent mental images.

"So... I could become a light elemental?" I asked, aware of how incredible that probably was. I was already unbelievably fast, but if I became an entity of light... I'd almost certainly gain the power to move at the speed of light. The speed of light was many, many times faster than even my current speed at mach 200, and if I could become a being of light I could move at my maximum speed much more easily and much more freely. 

What's more, is that this meant that I could become a darkness elemental. A darkness elemental could almost certainly also cause incredible events to happen, perhaps even swath places in permanent, supernatural darkness, or else, utilize the properties of darkness to serve my will. 

"Yes. And in doing so gain the incredible powers of a spirit of light. Those powers do include the ability to heal, but beyond that, they also include the ability to move at the speed of light which is an unbelievable power, especially so early in your time as a superhero. There are methods to move at speeds beyond the speed of light, but they are solely the domain of epic superheroes who fight against planet-destroying threats." The system revealed and teased. 

"To earn the power of a light elemental, to become one yourself will cost you four hundred points in each attribute type. Elementals are considered 'Lesser' supernatural creatures, due to their simplistic intellect, but as a changeling, you can gain their powers without sacrificing your own intelligence." The system informed me, hinting that the costs for the various elemental physiologies were surprisingly cheap. That said, four hundred points in each attribute type were not actually cheap unless someone had access to or created some sort of point farm. 

While conversing with the system I activated my "Empty Presence" power and managed to land in the center of the vast courtyard that served as the primary outdoor space for the prison.


The soft "thud" noise produced by the potent superhero when he landed in the middle of the vast courtyard was softened by his potent usage of his type-black superpower. As a result of that no one was able to notice the gentle outline of the "Scoundrel" type warrior, and so he silently examined his surroundings. 

The courtyard was filled with men loitering around. Some of the men were guards, and they wore the uniform of the shady government organization that was tasked with enforcing order in Honduran prisons, a mildly laughable notion at best given the rampant corruption in said government agency and the chaos that plagued Honduran prisons. They had guns in their arms and lazily watched the courtyard, scanning the bleak landscape that the government had "generously" given to Honduran prisoners at the time of the prison's construction. 

The other men who loitered around the courtyard were the prisoners. Some of the prisoners were as young as Nathan's age, while others were in their fifties and sixties. Some of them, many of them in fact, were low-level grunts who were fed to law enforcement as necessary sacrifices to placate them and keep them idle while real crimes were committed. A small handful of the prisoners in the prison were actual kingpins, heads of vast gangs that roved city streets as well as the picturesque countryside. Nathan had plans for all of them. 

The strange superhero gestured speedily with his hands and after a few seconds of gesturing, he was able to cast a "Silencing" spell on himself. The instant that he did, he became nearly, utterly undetectable, and he began to smile. Nathan dashed over to the first criminal he had set his eyes on, and he began the esoteric process of forcing his will on the criminal.

Rafael Noriega Alfonso abruptly froze as he felt a stinging pain in the back of his skull, unsure of what was happening aside from tremendous pain, and though he didn't know it he was already not the "pilot" "piloting" his own body. All around him his fellow criminals, and also the prison's guards, all froze as well. The entire courtyard froze, aside from the strange invader who had opted to make the place his first playground.


The brain was a superhero's ultimate weapon. That was something that any good superhero knew and internalized. I was utilizing my brain and pushing it to the maximum extent possible at the moment. 

My powers were very unusual because they possessed an enormous capacity for change. Not only could I steal attribute points from anyone I decided to, but even without the expenditure of such resources I could easily allow my powers to grow and mutate over time, and through usage. To begin to maximize that I was currently mixing and matching my abilities quite freely. 

I was using my intellectual capacity and adaptability to orchestrate the simultaneous freezing of the prison's hundreds of inhabitants and staff, as well as practicing my magic, and of course, in an instant, I'd be stealing attribute points from Rafael Noriega Alfonso, a rapist, and murderer who had been living a cushy life here in the prison. I walked over to him quite boldly, not showing myself to any cameras but also unafraid of the slim possibility of the dim-witted murderer breaking free from my powers. 

Imposing my will over his and thus controlling him was not hard for me to do. He was a fighter, but unable to resist my potent psychic influence, and though I felt him try to resist me I also sensed his mind beginning to weaken even as his body was fully under my control. At the moment every other person in the prison was also subtly attempting to fight against my mind but it was helpless, even their combined intellectual weight would only be a fraction of mine. I was an incredibly potent psychic, and my mind was a weapon in a weight class all its own.

When I reached Rafael I gently placed a hand on his head. I smiled and shuddered as I began to vampirically devour his wisdom, charm, and intelligence points. He was not a suave, intelligent, or wise man, and was often employed by his criminal superiors as a sort of blunt weapon, so draining him of all but three of his intelligence, wisdom, and charm points was not a challenge. 

I placed another hand on the man's arms and began to bleed him dry of his physical might. I sensed my own physical power increasing incrementally as his was sucked out of his body. While I fed on his physical power and endurance the hand that I had placed on his head moved and landed on his leg so that I could drain him of his grace as well. 

I hungrily devoured the man's attribute points, feeding on him as a starving man might feast on a gourmet three-course meal. His points were delicious, but weirdly enough I felt only more "hungry" in the wake of feasting on his stats. 

When I was done draining his points, leaving each of them at three, the man before me was slumped over in his chair. He stared, frightfully, at the sky, his dark brown eyes wide and filled with an inarticulate sort of primal terror and weakness. He had no ability to speak, and I knew that if he tried to walk unless someone else was piloting his body, he'd fall over the second he stood up. I also knew that if that happened he'd experience agonizing pain, the sort that could drive someone insane. 

"The power of draining someone of their attribute points..." I uttered, reverentially. I studied the defeated man and chuckled, right as the voice of the system began to whisper into my mind.

"And so you've drained your first person of as many points as you could..." The thing told me, and I confirmed with a mere glance at the man that all of his scores were currently locked at three. 

"It's very interesting that you chose to go to a prison and turn it into a feeding ground. In a way, it's rather... vampiric of you. It's also intriguing that your first time draining someone you chose to go all out. Feeding on him in this manner almost certainly awoke a hunger within you, since now your own scores are all a wee bit higher than they had been previously." The voice continued. I could almost hear a sort of judgment from it that it made me laugh but also filled me with concern. 

The man in front of me moaned indelicately, but the sound wasn't one of pleasure. It was a confused, nonsensical sound that escaped his lips. 

"The man before you would struggle with all of his might to so much as hold a pencil. He would be pushed over by a gust of wind. He couldn't speak in any human language, and would, in fact, have to work to recognize the sound of his own voice. He has less charm than a rabid animal. If you could drop any of his stats below three these sorts of effects would be permanent. Take a good look at Rafael. He is what you could turn your enemies into, if you can get a hold on them." The system revealed, which shocked me but didn't quite faze me. 

I studied the figure before me, wailing and moaning in pain and then turned my back on him. He was a criminal, one who had not been punished to the proper extent, and he would recover from my actions. He was far from the only person in this prison who had managed to escape true justice. Someone needed to correct that, and it wasn't likely to be corrected by those who feared men like Rafael. Fortunately, I was fearless. I didn't mind being the one to right the record, to correct the injustices that plagued this place. 

As I turned towards the other criminals who had previously ran this prison, my eyes turned a sinister, yet otherworldly beautiful, shade of scarlet. There was a smile on my invisible face, as I began to stalk towards the next prisoner who'd be a delicious meal for me. 

6