Chapter 10: Millions
200 7 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the accumulated wealth of various drug cartels slowly but surely made its way to me I reflected on the nature and importance of money. I was doing something here, something that I couldn't take back, that would surely have ramifications on the future of both Honduras and myself. 

I had the fortune of coming from a solidly middle-class family, both in the United States and in Colombia. Money, while not something we spent foolishly, was never an issue, and as a consequence of that we had never had to worry about things like starvation or homelessness, a luxury that many people in Honduras were not as lucky as we had been to receive. And now, with the money that I was acquiring here, I'd be able to be brave in my financial endeavors, and of course to return this money to at least some of the people it was wrongfully taken from in the first place. 

Money was an issue to many in a nation like Honduras. Poverty was a crushing thing that affected millions throughout the country, and it was a menace that drove many to embrace a criminal lifestyle. And of course those who engaged in criminal acts to receive their wealth were able to use some of that wealth to ensure they never faced accountability. So by taking their illegally gained wealth from them I was both directly attacking them and also leaving them weaker for it.

What I was doing here was a beginning, an act that would deplete the undeserving of some of their ill-gotten gains. This was also one way that I was able to deal a significant blow to the criminal underbelly that parasitically fed on the inhabitants of Honduras, without doing something as brutally amoral as sapping someone of their free-will, since I fully planned to continue to allow everyone in this bank to retain their free-will, I was merely expediting one aspect of my business here.

With the money I acquired here I'd be gaining the power to do things ranging from investing in businesses and thus giving someone a mean's out of poverty aside from criminal activity, or purchase real-estate for myself in the days to come. I was forcibly gaining another form of freedom that freed me from mundane concerns that plagued someone less powerful than myself.


I began to remotely pilot Veronica as well, not doing anything insidious but opting instead to expedite this process. I bestowed her with falsified memories of me explaining that "back home" in the United States I was an entrepreneur, a successful one, who had millions of dollars and was now planning to work in Honduras, remotely, which also did me the favor of explaining why I was a new arrival and yet had managed to acquire the two letters of recommendations needed for me to open a bank account here. 

She began to type on her keyboard and fill in various details about myself, my business, which was to be an "Angel Investor", and even calculated the total my new bank account was going to be receiving as its initial deposit, a number in the realm of dozens of millions of lempiras. As she did that I heard the distant sound of footsteps begin to get closer and closer. 

The soft footfalls were created by the head of the bank who was making his way towards us with heavy stacks of lempiras. A small part of myself felt excited as he drew closer and closer, and as I began to near completion of one vital part of establishing myself. 

After a few minutes the footfalls got close enough for Veronica to hear them and I listened as the door opened and the bank's corrupt president, Jonathan, stepped into the office. He carried millions of lempiras in a delicate briefcase which he placed on the desk in front of me. His facial expression was blank, and he himself proceeded to silently leave the room as soon as he was done placing the briefcase down. 

I stared at the briefcase with a strange look on my face. It was an ornate briefcase, but not at all one that seemed worthy of the fortunes it was holding. The thing seemed almost ordinary, when I considered how much wealth, and thus influence, it stored. 

"So this is what being a multimillionaire feels like?" I asked, speaking out loud for the first time in several minutes. I didn't touch the thing and instead Veronica got up, grabbed the briefcase and then took it over to the bank tellers, who were also filled with psychic static. The purpose of the static was to harmlessly incapacitate the people in the bank while I finished my objectives here, and it worked by overloading their minds with the equivalent of "noise", which would allow me to harmlessly control them for a bit. 

I possessed their combined knowledge, due to my choice to mentally scan them earlier, and used their minds to complete the process by which my initial deposit would be made and the creation of my actual debit card. A few minutes later Veronica came back and handed me my card, a simple thing that was filled with a hefty fortune.

"Money... And freedom... Now I have both." I remarked, as I looked at the plastic thing that Veronica had just handed me. As I studied it, I filled Veronica's mind with more memories, memories of myself graciously accepting the card she just gave me, and memories of me saying farewell to her. I then proceeded to get up and leave the bank.


When I stepped outside of the bank I found myself alone once more. Just over the edge of the horizon I could see the setting sun. It had taken me perhaps an hour to come here and get all of this done. 

As the sun danced along the edge of the horizon, I allowed my mind to extend out of me and to begin to make subtle contact with those around me. Tegucigalpa was a dangerous city during the day for the uninitiated and unaware, and it became far more so at night. That said, I still had parents. I was a changeling, but my placement here was so subtle that in all likelihood my parents did not know the truth concerning my heritage. And I knew that the time was fast approaching for me to defend how to handle that aspect of my life. 

I studied the lowering sun for another moment, my eyes able to withstand looking at it due to my unique physiology, and then I made myself invisible, before taking off by activating "Levitation". As I rose into the sky so that I could head home I felt the cool breeze of the mountainous valley Tegucigalpa was situated in on my skin and sighed. It felt good to feel the breeze on my skin. 

"Levitation" allowed me to rise into the air at a pretty decent rate, provided I could allow myself a second before flying. If I flew too quickly, as in at mach one or faster, I would trigger a sonic boom. I actually had, earlier, when I took off towards the prison and then again when I left the prison. By levitating I was able to reach a height where a sonic boom was just a strange, loud noise to those below me, and not something that would hurt or affect them. 

When I was a few hundred meters in the air, which took a few minutes, I was able to turn and twist myself so that I was facing the apartment my parents and I lived in. I could see it, kilometers away, and smiled as I took off towards it.

Flying was extremely liberating. I was able to fly and reach the air above the apartment in less than a second, able to freely fly at truly unthinkable speeds and in doing so effectively teleport. My speeds were so incredibly intense that I dwarfed even the speeds of the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, perhaps the fastest plane in the world, which was capable of going a measly, to me anyway, top speed of perhaps Mach 3. I was over sixty times faster than it was, and I knew that in time I'd become even faster. 

When I stopped moving I continued to float invisibly over the apartment building I had come to return to. As I did so I spent a moment gazing at the building, pondering how I should have felt in the moment, and knew that all I could feel right now was excitement. I had gained a sort of freedom that others could scarcely imagine, not immortality but even things like flight, wealth, a sort of omnilinguism, and more. And I was mere hours away from beginning to well and truly live a life of adventure. 

I began to float downward, ready to spend some time with my family, discover what they knew about my true heritage, if anything, and to actually sit down and begin to utilize perhaps my strangest powers: those of the grey type. It was indeed those very powers which would allow me to become a veritable renaissance man, and to push both myself and humanity so that we could become the best examples of ourselves.

When I reached the ground of the entryway into my apartment I silently pulled out my key and slipped it into the keyhole of the door that stood between myself and my apartment building. 

6