Chapter 20: Virtue
133 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Olivia and I sat at the table and ate breakfast she informed me of the basic history of The Sanctuary. As she lectured me my body further adjusted to the new slew of powers I had just acquired and I noticed that a multi-hued glow around her that was shades of pink, purple, and blue radiate off of her. Before I could even question it, the menu from yesterday appeared in my mind's eye filled with informative text.

[Alert: Adjustments.

You are currently seeing the potency of "Soul Sight", mixed with "Desire". "Soul Sight" allows you to see someone's intentions and attitude towards you in the form of a glow that surrounds them. If the glow is red they are your enemy, or at least intend to harm you, if the glow is blue they are friendly, if it is white they are neutral towards you, and if it is purple they are loyal to you. 

"Desire" is a bit more specific. With it, if you gaze with intention, you can learn someone's desires, including but not just limited to sexual desires, but passively it allows you to see if they are attracted to you. If the glow is pink they are attracted to you. The more intense the glow the more attracted to you they are.

You possess a number of desire-based and sex-related powers as a consequence of your soul tethering to The Sanctuary. Some of these powers are straight boosts to existing powers, such as you gaining enhanced control over the endocrine system, while others are wholly new additions to your repertoire, such as the ability to adjust fertility, both your own and that of other people or even creatures.]

Reading the menu's text made me smile internally. When I was done reading it I focused on Olivia and abruptly found my mind filling with a vivid mental image. A much more vivid and risqué mental image than I had anticipated, since I had never read the deepest, most lewd portions of her mind.


Olivia's nude body was hidden from view by the large, muscular body on top of her. The body belonged to a faceless figure that was nude from the waist up, and the healthy, impressive, organ of his was deep inside of Olivia's nude body. He was not alone either.

The figure was deep inside of Olivia, pleasuring her with potent thrusts of his weapon, but Olivia was not just mindlessly lost in the throes of pleasure. "The Commander" of The Sanctuary used dexterous movements of her hands to stroke two other massive members, belonging to faceless, Adonis-like figures who stood on either side of her, awaiting her commands. The sounds of moans filled the bedchamber this fantasy was taking place in. 

The place smelled of sweat and sex, and the various bodies in it were all well-sculpted and looked like they belonged on the pages of a superhero comic. Olivia's body was covered in fluids, sweat, both hers and that of some of her lovers, and other, more sticky fluids. She looked blissful as she lovingly, expertly stroked the shafts of her various lovers, keeping them firmly at attention and ready to be reinserted into her eager, needy sex organ, should she tire of the current rod inside of her.


As my mind's eye filled with that image, I had to work to keep myself from blushing. Fortunately for me, thanks to the effects of "Gutless", a mutation I possessed, that was mostly as easy as not wanting to blush. I had the ability to use my mind to consciously control certain, normally unconscious or subconscious things my body could do, including blushing and showing arousal. 

Olivia was into the idea of group sex, but group sex where she was the sole female participant and everyone focused on her. And it certainly seemed as though she was attracted to my body type, that of herculean individuals with enormous muscles and well-toned, body-builder-like bodies. She was a skinny thing and was, what Earth-humans might consider conventionally attractive. 

I focused and pushed away that image from my mind and continued to eat as Olivia informed me of the long history of The Sanctuary. I listened to her as she discussed the various owners this place, hundreds of thousands of years in age, had been possessed by over the course of millennia.

Honestly, the main reason why I was able to pick up what she was saying was that I had such powerful senses that even things I wasn't paying attention to were picked up and stored in my subconscious for me to consciously call upon at a later date and mentally dissect. I could have, of course, also just fully read her mind if I wanted to, and immediately absorb all of the knowledge she possessed. 

Within a few minutes she was done lecturing me and was quietly washing the dishes. As she did that, I heard the door behind us open and saw someone, a young woman with dark brown hair and friendly features, who was one of "The Trapped" enter the kitchen from the outside of the manor. She wore what I instinctively knew was a maid's outfit and had a small smile on her face as she saw us.

"Hello, Nathan, Olivia. Good morning! I didn't get a chance to introduce myself during the hecticness of yesterday. My name is Naomi and I'm a maid. I was wondering if I could work here, for you, in exchange for having a room in the manor? I've been told that I am a fantastic cook, and I love cleaning." She asked us. The glow around her was white, with flakes of pink, purple, and blue interspersed there as well. I turned and looked at Olivia and she was smiling at the young maid. I chuckled and turned back to Naomi, with a grin on my face.

"Sure! In fact, why don't you go ahead and start right now?" I asked her, causing the glow around Olivia to lose most of its whiteness and become more solidly blue and purple since I had so easily accepted her request. She beamed at me, overjoyed to have a chance to live in this place. Olivia smiled at me and walked over to where I was, before whispering in my ear that we should go check out the armory. I nodded and got up. 

Naomi went over to the kitchen's gigantic, industry-sized sink, and began to go to town on the dishes we had used. While I was heading towards the exit of my new home I told Naomi to feel free to eat some of the breakfast as well and to offer any leftovers to any of the settlers working on establishing homes for themselves. 


The Owner's Manor was situated at the top of an impressive hill. It was akin to a castle or fortress overlooking a town in a nearby valley. During yesterday's hecticness, I had not had the chance to see what was beyond the area the manor took up. 

The manor was one portion of what appeared to be a large estate. When I stepped outside of the manor and my view wasn't obstructed by thousands of people I could see a number of other buildings in the area. The first one was a large storehouse made of metal, and I could hear the distinctive sounds of machinery from within the storehouse. I could also see another storehouse, one made of wood, and from within it, I could smell a gargantuan amount of food. 

Off in the distance, a few kilometers away, I could see a wall made of some sort of metal that stretched and surrounded the estate of my home in every direction. Beyond that, and downhill, I could hear the sounds of early-risers making food for themselves and beginning to prepare for another day of working hard to create homes for themselves and their families.

Other buildings I could see now that I was out of the manor and wasn't obstructed, included a large stable, a gym, some sort of religious building that looked like a church from my world, and a high-tech, glass-building that rose majestically into the air and contained a number of potent technological artifacts. Olivia noticed me staring at it and chuckled. 

"That's where we're going! That is the armory. Or at least the cooler armory. The metal storehouse is where our more basic technologies and weapons are stored, which we will certainly be using, but our real stuff is located in that building." She said, gesturing towards that building. We began to walk the short distance that separated us from that science-fiction-looking building. 

The short walk allowed me to appreciate the autumnal climate I had chosen for The Sanctuary. The day was warm but not absurdly so, and the light of the early morning sun shone down on us.


The brilliant ultra-violet light that shone on us, created by what was apparently a magical sun that hovered overhead, suffused my skin and seeped into my cells. As it did I silently appreciated the potency of its heat and the gentle warmth of the massive orb floating high in the sky. 

I was now further attuned to my powers thanks to the recent expansion of abilities I was in the process of acclimating to, and I could consciously feel things like the amount of U.V. radiation I was being exposed to. I could also feel that supercharging the subtle healing factor I possessed, which fortunately I had never needed.

As I strode alongside Olivia and made my way closer and closer to the building we were heading towards my vision began to sharpen and change. Whole new colors began to dance on the edge of my vision and began to illuminate the world around me in far more colorful combinations than I could have ever imagined existed. Among other things my eyes began to be able to see the world through infrared vision, my eyes being able to detect the heat others, as well as objects radiated.

My infrared vision was the most useful aspect of my expanded sight, and I subconsciously knew that the cause for my expanded powers, as well as a modest boost to my initial abilities, was the acquisition of The Sanctuary. As I glanced at Olivia I could see both her and the heat she radiated, simultaneously. 

"My abilities are growing..." I exclaimed, which made Olivia smile. I telepathically explained the tiniest bit of the more complex truth of my abilities to her and that made her eyes widen in surprise. 

"That's... A lot." She replied, audibly, right as we reached the front of the gigantic, glass building. We paused, and silently looked at each other for a moment. I could see her attempting to wrap her mind around even the partial truths I had revealed to her, such as the entire concept of attributes. After a few moments, she shook her head and then she outstretched her hand, extending it towards me. She looked away and began to speak.

"I... I kind of want to experience it myself. Can you show me? I think if I experience your touch directly, conscious of it, I could gain a greater understanding of what you just told me." She explained, causing my eyes to widen and for me to gawk at her in surprise. 

"I... Are you sure? This leaves you weaker..." I reminded her, to which she nodded at me. I then took her hand, knowing how serious she was, and opting to trust her. I closed my eyes and targeted one of the simpler attributes.


The two beings in front of the vast, and high-tech building had a strange sort of trust and relationship. The two of them had entered each other's minds and knew more about each other than any other person knew about them. And despite that sort of artificial trust, they were both a bit afraid as they held hands. 

Nathan's hand was gently holding Olivia's. A part of her instinctually trusted him, and a part of him instinctually trusted her, but nevertheless, at the moment both of them were keenly aware of their hammering hearts. Nathan looked into Olivia's eyes and silently activated his power to drain people of their attributes, targeting the woman's might score. 

At first, Olivia didn't feel a thing. Nathan, however, felt the strength of the potent, human-like woman, begin to seep into him. And after a few seconds, Olivia began to feel her muscles themselves weaken and even feel heavy to her! She suddenly struggled to stay upright and nearly fell over, only for Nathan to catch her gently and chuckle. As he did he smiled at the woman he was expected, by tradition, to marry, and he heard the voice of the system itself begin to speak to him.


"Alert: There is power in truth. As a consequence of your choice to begin to explain the true source of your powers to Olivia, you have received a reward in the form of new abilities, and mutations to your existing abilities. You have also earned a virtue point, the true counter to a 'Sin Point'." The system informed me before textboxes began to appear in my mind's eye. 

[Attribute Drain (Status: Mutated):

This new and improved attribute drain is more thoroughly under your control. With this, you can choose to return attribute points that you have taken from the living to those you deem deserving of them at any point instead of merely allowing them to return naturally over time. You can also more easily take points from people, and even take points from spirits, astral projections of beings, and projections of creatures so long as the projection is of a real person or creature and is manifesting in front of you.]

 [Alert: New 'Physiology Powers' Available

As a consequence of having earned either a sin point or a virtue point, you can now purchase the physiology abilities of vampires, lesser demons, and angels.]

[Vampire Physiology:

Cost: 900 of each primary attribute point

Benefits: This ability grants its possessors all of the traits of a vampire with none of the weaknesses. For instance, a vampire can become empowered by drinking the blood of living mortals and can perform feats such as mind control, flight, and shapeshifting. As a weakness-less vampire, you'd also be unbothered by daylight, able to enter churches, and also be perfectly fine not drinking blood, if you didn't want to. This is an upgradable ability that will eventually evolve and grant you greater physiology powers.]

[Angel Physiology:

Cost: 2500 of each primary attribute point

Benefits: This ability grants its possessors all of the traits of an angel with none of the weaknesses. Even lesser angels are capable of feats such as healing and blessing living things, generating halos, banishing extraplanar entities, and communing with the dead. As a weakness-less angel, you'd be partially immune to various sorts of magic, and all manner of anti-angel technology. This is an upgradable ability.]

[Demon Physiology:

Cost: 1200 of each primary attribute point

Benefits: This ability would grant you the traits of a demon. Demon attributes include but are certainly not limited to the ability to manipulate souls, inflict corruption, and manipulate evil. Unsurprisingly, this is an upgradeable ability.] 

As soon as I was finished reading those text boxes, I heard the voice of the system once more. And hearing it was incredibly exciting since it revealed something truly incredible.

"Alert: Your virtue point has been spent and you have been given an ability by the system itself. You have earned a modicum of power over the virtue of charity itself, and as a consequence of that, you have earned the ability to share your powers. You can now share your powers with other people! Those you share your powers with can't use them in ways that would hurt you and you can rescind the powers you shared with them at will." The system whispered, which filled me with some of the purest and most incredible joy I had felt since I first learned I had superpowers. 

It took me a second to calm myself and to focus enough that I could restore Olivia's might to her and then guide her inside of the armory. With an almost goofy grin on my face, Olivia and I stepped into the air-conditioned parlor of the high-tech, glass, armory that apparently housed both my most cutting edge equipment and a portal to some strange new world.

5