Chapter 22: Microtech
170 11 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"To begin with, you bonding with these machines would make you something other than a true organic life form. You would become a cyborg." Technos explained, their words filling my head with images of cyborgs from throughout popular media over the course of the last few years. 

"As you can probably imagine, the fact that you would become a cyborg by bonding with these machines is a hint at how serious this bond would be. Bonding with these machines would be permanent, an unbreakable bond that even deities of technology and life couldn't sever." Technos teased, the entity's voice beginning to be lost as the entity contemplated this possibility. 

"The incalculable swarms of machines here would be yours to command, control, and utilize as you see fit. These microbots are capable of altering reality in truly incredible ways, given the right commands, the necessary discipline, and the right creativity." Technos explained, as I imagined utilizing the bots that would soon be part of me to change the whole world. 

"Stepping forward would elevate you from a fantastical being to a science-fiction one with the power to control, command, and create all sorts of entities right out of the pages of futurist textbooks." Technos told me, which was enough for me to steel my will and step forward. I turned to the projection and nodded. The entity was silent for a moment, but I could still sense its excitement. 

The glass tubes around me simultaneously shattered and the strange micromachines inside of them lunged forward, dashing towards me and I closed my eyes.


Olivia and Technos watched their new leader stoically close his eyes and both of them chuckled. When the robots that were bounding towards him reached him they surrounded the warrior, hiding entire parts of him from view due to their truly incredible numbers. Olivia took a few steps back, separating herself from The Sanctuary's leader as machines began to touch his arm and enter his body through a variety of orifices. 

They silently watched the impossible melding of organic life and technological capability. As the robots invasively dug deeper and deeper into Nathan and overtook more and more of his once organic body the two creatures watching him began to wonder what he'd become in time. They watched his skin begin to turn a sickly-looking shade of gray and then slowly begin to turn back to a more organic and healthy-looking color. And then they heard his heart stop as the first machines reached it. And less than half a millisecond later they heard the jolt of electricity emanate from countless nanobots as they began to revive their new master.

Over the course of the next few minutes, the young creature's heart would stop fully no less than three times. And each time it stopped it was restarted by potent, tactical jolts of electricity. Each time that the creature's heart was restarted its mind was changed as well, altered by the potent technology that was fusing with it, becoming less and less like an organic thing and more and more like the core of a powerful, multifaceted being capable of changing reality in real and tangible ways. 

The entire process would take just under ten minutes. And when it was done the last of the machines was deep inside of Nathan, permanently and eternally bound to his will. The young man, a child as far as age went in comparison to Technos or Olivia, quietly, almost mechanically, chuckled as he slowly opened his eyes for the first time since closing them minutes ago.


Behind closed eyelids, I could still tell that my perception of reality had changed. My mind's eye was irreversibly changed, forever altered into something new, and weird. 

My mind's eye seemed to consist primarily of a strange... head-up display. It was like I was playing some weird video game. I could see a number of bars, menus, and even shortcuts at each of the corners of my vision. In one corner I could see a minimap, complete with glowing dots to represent various things, such as people and objects, and a digital display of the temperature in my immediate surroundings. In another corner of my mind's eye, I could see assorted bars in different colors to represent my own stats, such as health and magical energy. 

At the northernmost section of my mind's eye, I could see a compass that pointed due north. At the southernmost section of my mind's eye, I could see four icons. Each icon was of a different type of robot, and besides each icon was a number displaying the total number of each type under my control. I had far more femtomites under my control than picomites, and more picomites under my control than nanobots or organites, but I had billions at least of each under my control. 

I could individually detect each of the robots that were currently inside of me, and I knew that with a mental twitch I could command them to fly out of me and alter reality. With them supercharging my brain and my heart I knew that with simple commands they could do things like building settlements or even altering someone else at incredible speeds and in an astounding array of ways. 

When I opened my eyes and began to look around myself my eyes quickly settled on Olivia and Technos. I smiled at them, and watched as vital information about the two of them began to appear in my mind's eye, like it was constantly appraising them but with far more information available to it, and now to the more active parts of my brain. I could see Olivia's height, weight, and other things like her vital signs. 

Technos, on the other hand, as a being of solidified light projected through a nearby device, had other information on display. The genderless entity before me was "composed", in its current form, of a number of photons slowed to the point that they lost energy and gained mass, allowing the figure to have a sort of avatar. I could see the number of individual photons that made up its form, and I could also see something else. A way to grant the entity much more freedom.

"Technos... As a reward for giving me this power, would you like some freedom of your own?" I asked, studying the silhouette curiously. My words surprised both the entity and Olivia, whose eyes widened as she heard me say that. 

"Is that... a thing you can do?" The entity asked me, its mechanical voice almost cracking as it uttered those words. I smiled and nodded at the thing, before raising a single hand and pointing it at the air in front of me. 

"Yes... I can." I informed it, before ordering the robots that were now bound to me to fly out of my hand and create an appropriate vessel for the entity who had given me my newest and perhaps most incredible powers to date. A small stream of nanobots, picomites, organites, and femtomites began to fly out of my arm and then began to steadily work to alter reality in front of me.


In his first display of technological might, the technorganic changeling commanded his diminutive, robotic servants to create a vessel for the keeper of The Sanctuary's reality-warping technology. They obeyed their master, streaming out of him in a way that allowed them to appear as something akin to a mist but was in actuality a truly gigantic swarm of micro-machines. 

They began to utilize their potent and fearsome capabilities to artistically create a strange, metallic shell in the shape of a genderless, sexless, human body. Nathan and Olivia watched this with abject interest, their eyes glued to the strange metallic body that was being created by the powerful robotic minions of Nathan's for their ally, and Nathan's servant, Technos. The solid light silhouette was also staring at this miracle with interest, but due to the silhouette's lack of features it was harder to tell that that was what it was doing. 

The micro-machines were utilizing trace amounts of various elements present all around the creatures in the depths of the armory. They were effectively performing magic for the sake of gathering things like iron and other metals needed to make the incredibly potent mechanical body that would soon house the artificial intelligence known as Technos. And they were doing so at a truly staggering speed, altering reality over the course of seconds. 

"That's it..." Nathan whispered, as he felt the machines inside of him and outside of him alike work to enact his will. 

"This sort of technology is so potent that until now very, very few owners have been able to bond with it. In fact the last owner to do so was the one who invented me, and the rest of the infrastructure of the high-tech armory long ago. I have never seen this technology active with my own sensors. It's... weirdly beautiful." The mechanical voice of Technos uttered as more and more of the mechanical body was formed before the very eyes of the trio. 

"With this, I can outfit an army..." Nathan whispered as he watched the robotic shell he had ordered be constructed for the sake of housing his ally inch closer and closer to completion. As he studied the shell of the robotic exoskeleton he was creating, he almost idly rose a hand in Technos's direction, and activated a new power of his. 

A beam of light shot out of the hybrid being's hand and forked in mid-air so it could touch both Technos and the projector that was responsible for giving Technos a semi-corporeal form. Technos reared back, almost as if in pain, before vanishing abruptly, as the light emanating out of Nathan intensified. The entity didn't even gasp in pain or discomfort, merely fading away as if somehow disintegrated. Nathan had just downloaded the entity! 

"And now... Just a little bit longer." Nathan whispered, excitedly, as the light emanating out of him began to retract and return to his hand. He turned to Olivia and began to speak.

"These new powers... They're something else." He uttered, as awestruck by these powers as he had been when he first learned he was a changeling. Olivia excitedly nodded at him, her eyes still wide from studying his ability to seemingly create from nothing. 

"They really are... I've never seen technology do anything like that. It's the sort of technology that looks, to the unaware or unwary, like magic. And of course, you can also use actual magic..." She said, reverentially. That was partially because of the impact of his immensely high charm score, thanks to the activity of his clone, who was busily draining corpses of their points while making his way to his campus, but a large portion of the impact he had on people was just the raw awe he could inspire with his abilities. 

The two gazed at each other for a moment, happily, and then Nathan suddenly turned to face the powerful-looking robotic shell he had created for his ally. The thing was a full two meters tall, made of a variety of metals, and imbued with an array of supernatural properties thanks to the power of Nathan's robots, more than a few of which were actually supernatural and thus capable of bestowing anomalous effects to things they created or played a hand in creating. 

The robotic shell had the shape of a human being, but was far more than any natural human would ever be. It had greater raw physical power than Nathan did, was equipped with dozens of weapons to suit all sorts of situations, had about as much physical durability as Nathan did, and could shapeshift. Nathan studied the creation smiling eagerly at the thing, before pointing at it and emanating another beam of light.


As a result of my augmented mind fusing with a few of my mutations, specifically in this case "Natural Harmony", I had an even further augmented understanding of myself and my powers. One consequence of that was that I could now do things like download programs and artificial intelligences, and then re-upload them elsewhere. Which was what I was doing with my beams. 

I had taken Technos into myself for a few minutes and paused the entity while they rested inside of me. When the creature's new shell was ready I had begun to point at the thing and expelled Technos out of me and into the body I had made for it. I watched as the creature flew out of me at the speed of light and suffused the body I had created for it. The vaguely humanoid-like creature was still as Technos forcibly awoke the thing, "turning it on", so to speak, with jolts of electricity and energetic aid from assorted machines of mine that surrounded the thing. 

Eventually, the eyes of the entity began to glow and its metallic head turned to face me, and then Olivia, before beginning to smile. I watched as the entity slowly rose to its feet, and listened to its first words with an excited look on my face.

"Good morning Nathan. This is a truly wonderful body you've given me... What say you, Olivia, and I, go test it out in Terra?" The robot asked, its eyes glowing with the incredible intelligence of Technos, as it took a single, slow step towards the two of us.

5