Chapter 24: First Contact
126 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time we reached the distant village several different villagers were standing atop one of the gates leading in and out of the community, the one closest to us. They wore clothes that were made from local materials, and watched Olivia, Technos, and I with eyes that were filled with both curiosity and dread. As we approached the gate the villagers continued to silently observe us, their eyes filled with an array of emotions.

The villagers were humans, and they held homemade weapons of varying quality and materials. I could see wooden weapons, stone weapons, and rather surprisingly even a few weapons made of brass and iron. I glanced at the villagers who held each type of weapon and quickly realized that the stronger-looking warriors, as well as the men that I "recognized" due to memories I had taken and copied from one of the village's scouts, were all trained and experienced warriors. They stood atop the gate and had grim looks on their faces, watching my companions and me with fatalistic eyes. 

"Hail! My name is Nathan and I am the hero summoned by the mages called to this village by the local azer. My companions are Olivia and Technos." I explained, opting to speak first. I was able to speak the language of the locals thanks to my prominent psychic abilities, which I utilized with practiced ease. As I spoke I turned and gestured towards my two allies as I introduced them. They nodded at the wary townspeople, who nodded back. 

I watched the guards listen to my words. As they did I sensed their hesitancy towards me begin to diminish, thanks to the casual boost to my innate charisma given to me by virtue of my incredibly high charm score. My voice was a weapon and tool that I could use freely in and of itself thanks to my natural and supernatural charisma. 

"Stranger- Er... Nathan, step forward!" One of the guards, a young man in a loose-fitting suit of leather armor replied, speaking to me surprisingly briskly. I chuckled and stepped forward, smiling at the figure and causing him to momentarily lose his focus, before another guard elbowed him, quickly enabling him to recover his focus. 

"You mean to tell me that Xander and Leonardo succeeded? I need evidence!" The guard proclaimed, speaking arrogantly at first and then losing some of that edge by the time he was done speaking. His second sentence was barely a whisper. I chuckled and rose my hand in the direction of the gate and sensed some of the guards beginning to tense and place their hands on their weapons.

That said, a small part of me was surprised that my "Silver Tongue" ability hadn't taken precedence and caused the guards to believe me, given how close my words were to a lie. Internally I chalked this up to them truly believing that the magi they mentioned had failed before they saw me.

"Since you won't believe me by virtue of my words... Allow me to show you true evidence of my origins." I proclaimed, my voice exploding out of me and causing some of the lesser-willed guards to tremble. As I rose my hand I closed my eyes and concentrated. In the depths of my heart, I willed my powers to activate and felt them flowing to my fingertips.


As a consequence of my synchronization with The Sanctuary, I had gained a number of new powers. In order to demonstrate my powers I was going to make use of one of those new abilities; "Nature Control". 

With my eyes closed, I could focus on the strange heads-up display I possessed. I focused on the minimap in my mind's eye and mentally selected the soil beside where I was standing. The soil at my feet was healthy soil and I could sense an abundance of life within it, including young, wild seeds that were growing slowly and had been planted either by various humans from the village or by local wildlife unintentionally planting seeds while going about their day to day business. 

With "Nature Control" commanding such seeds to grow was a simple task. All it took was for me to focus on the plants I wanted to see mature supernaturally fast, and will them to grow. As I did that my senses were stimulated by the sound of the sudden maturation of various seeds that surrounded me, and I sensed them growing underfoot.

I heard the hearts of the guards standing above me begin to hammer in their chests, and stood still when the first trees began to burst out of the ground near me. I opened my eyes and stepped towards one such tree, stretching out a hand and willing the tree to drop one of its fruits, a delicious apple, which fell into my hand as if the event were predestined. I rose the apple to my hand and took a gentle bite out of it, smiling as I did so. 

"I am a druid and sorcerer from another dimension. I can do this... And a lot more." I explained, as I glanced up at the guards and saw them staring at me openly, shock and reverence filling their eyes in the wake of the miraculous act I had just performed. The demonstration of my potent abilities that I had just performed shook the hearts of the guards and the villagers who had seen it. It had even surprised my companions who hadn't known that I could do that. 

"So... Now do you believe me?" I asked, smiling at the awestruck inhabitants of the small town. They began to slowly nod at me, amazed by my display of magic. The people of the town were not used to displays of arcane power and I had known that thanks to the memories of the scout that infused me. The guards began to usher us towards the gate, reverentially welcoming the three of us into their home, eager to take advantage of the litany of abilities I possessed. We began to walk towards the gate and into the village, right as I went ahead and used a significant portion of the points that my clone had fed me to purchase "Minor arcanescience".


In my mind's eye the minimap began to change the very instant that I purchased the magic-detection ability that I knew many future visitors and invaders of Earth would possess. My mental minimap began to pulse and every few seconds would emanate some sort of sonar-like magical wave out of me that was extremely minute and bounced off of magical creatures such as Technos or Olivia. When the wave bounced off of magical beings my minimap was suddenly filled with a dot to represent them. 

Various items and even a few people in the village were considered "Magical", in the case of items, or "Magical beings" in the case of people, and thus lit up on my minimap. I smiled as I realized that my detection abilities had once again gotten a major boost and everything that came with that. My enhanced detection abilities would be vital both here and on Earth as more and more magical beings began to arrive. 

As I examined the mental minimap I "reached out" with my thoughts and began to "click" on various things that were revealed to me by the minimap. When I did I could learn the names of creatures, people, and items, and began to get a sense for the sort of magic they could use or, in the case of items, possessed. As I did that I sensed my mind begin to develop something akin to a personalized encyclopedia, or perhaps a wiki, that I knew would be updated by the more mechanical and robotic parts of my mind. This, unlike some other aspects of my mechanized mind, was fully accessible by me without any problems. 

The internal wiki I contained also had information for me that was about me, ranging from the sort of magic I could use to some of the limits of my psychic powers, and even included detailing some of the functions of my machines, as well as the surprising detail that there was a sort of internal database that I couldn't yet access inside of my attuned machines. The database stored trillions of schematics and blueprints for all sorts of machines, robots, and other technologies that my machines could build but that, for the moment, I couldn't make by myself. 

"Well that certainly clears up how they could make the exoskeleton for Technos..." I muttered, somewhat annoyed by one of the few limitations on my powers that I had seen to date. That said, having a goal to work towards filled with a newfound drive, a desire to be able to truly and fully master the potent hordes of machines and machinery inside of every part of me.


I entered the village smiling, each of my footsteps self-assured and filled with my radiant power. The people who approached my small party were not self-assured or filled with power. 

My allies and I were approached by a group of villagers who looked malnourished and pained, and as they approached us I smiled benevolently at them and studied them. None of them had the glow of enemies or friends, and they were instead neutral towards me, which was precisely what I had wanted. 

"Hello. It is nice to meet you! I have heard the mournful cries and heartfelt desire for more, for life, felt by the magi, Xander and Leonardo. Allow me to help you." I told the first people brave, and desperate, enough to approach my companions and I. While I told them that the guards who had stood atop the town's primary gate began to descend the stairwell that would bring them eye to eye with my allies and I.

The people of the village who lacked food desperately approached me, hoping to get some kind of arcane assistance from me. Fortunately for them as they came nearer and nearer I was able to cast one of the new spells I had learned during last night's binge-studying session. 

Arcane energy pooled into my fingertips and then surged out of me as I rose a hand in the direction of the villagers. The magic began to alter and warp reality by causing a handful of bright, delicious-looking strawberries to manifest in my hand, each of which was filled with all of the nutrients and sustenance that any human being would need for a full day.  

As villagers began to reach me I nodded at them and they tentatively took strawberries out of my hand. I watched the first person to reach me, a young woman who held a tiny, temperamental, unhealthy-looking baby close to her, grab the fruit and quickly devour the thing. As she did I sensed relief and satisfaction wash over her, and color begin to slowly return to her face. I also watched the glow that surrounded her, the effects of my "Soul sight" power, shift and become slightly blue, showcasing her shift in loyalties. I waited for her to take another, as people began to line up behind her out of fear for the possibility of annoying me, but when she didn't I spoke up.

"Take another. For your baby." I urged, looking at her and then at her child intently. This made her freeze up, and hesitate. I didn't approach her, knowing better than to do that, but instead merely shook my hand again, and willingly spent a bit more magical power so that I could generate more of the strawberries. As more of the things began to appear in my hand the young woman, perhaps only a year or two older than me, suddenly relaxed a bit and gently grabbed another.

She lifted the thing to the baby's mouth, and the baby cooed and opened his mouth just enough for her to put it in. Almost as soon as the baby began to slowly drool on the fruit in its mouth a bit of color and energy began to return to the newborn, and the mother exhaled in relief. She looked up at me and had a look of utter joy and relief on her face, which was noticed by those behind her, and caused them to excitedly nudge her out of the way, doing so surprisingly gently for the sake of her child, and clamor towards me, hunger in their eyes. 

I smiled at the crowd of hungry villagers and began to give out more of my magical fruits. Over the course of the next few minutes I would pass out the fruits and eventually begin to make new friends, while one of the guards snuck out to inform the community's leader, their "Azer" that a magical hero had come to visit the community and was feeding their most hungry villagers.

I was quite enjoying myself, actually having fun becoming some sort of wandering hero, and when the town's elderly leader reached me and my companions and began to study me I was smiling at a single father with a five-year-old daughter who was cheerily talking to me and thanking me for the food I had just given her and her father.

4