Chapter 28: Pacts
228 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jorge Mebrano gazed at the strange figure at the center of the brilliant, otherworldly illumination that was filling the room. The silhouette at the heart of the light stared at them, and they could feel the potency of his stare. 

"Humans, rid yourselves of your fear and despair... My name is Illuminos and I am an angelic servant and worshiper of Idros, a god of hope and health. I have come to offer you salvation." The angel proclaimed, speaking powerfully as the organites inside of the humans began to search their bodies, investigating them even as Jorge's parents fell to their knees in front of the entity.

"Idros, the first of the gods to sense the return of magic and the supernatural, is coming to Earth. He seeks servants and worshipers. He sensed your heartbreak and despair and can provide you with succor. He... can rid Jorge of his cancer." The angel revealed, causing even Jorge's skeptical eyes to fill with tears as he momentarily considered whether or not to speak. And then, after he was silent for a few moments, he felt the angel's gaze fall upon him.

"Jorge...  Do you wish to live on borrowed time, or do you seek to rid yourself of this malady forever and live a long, full life?" The angel asked, its weighty gaze and heavy proclamation causing Jorge to stop breathing for a moment.


I stared, quietly, at the trio of figures who were frozen and experiencing an incredibly powerful illusion. They were "Witnessing" a supernatural event, the arrival of an angel. In my current form, I resembled perhaps the opposite of an angel, and I looked closer to a depiction of a "Nightmare", a common archetypal enemy in some video games that had the form of a demonic-looking horse and had powers over dreams and the ability to fly, but to me, that was part of the fun. 

As I watched the three figures frozenly experience the potent illusion they were trapped in, my organites explored their bodies. The three of them were relatively healthy individuals with mundane genetics, and the organites inside of them had already copied their entire genetic structure. I wasn't entirely sure why they had done that, but I suspected that such an ability would come in handy at a later, perhaps much later, date. A small part of me wondered if perhaps this were somehow related to cloning or another such activity I'd likely gain the power to do in the future...

Nevertheless, the humans had questions. Questions that I didn't mind answering.


"Wait... Your words are not lost on me, Illuminos. What do you mean the 'return of magic and the supernatural to Earth'?" Jorge asked, his skeptical eyes and keen mind still able to focus on my words and take them, and me, seriously enough to question me. It was an admirable quality. I could sense his belief though, thanks to my "Silver Tongue" power. He already believed, in his heart, he was just smart enough to ask questions. 

"I meant precisely what I said. The supernatural, and magic, are both returning to the world. In the days, weeks, months, and certainly, years, to come the world will be forever altered. Creatures out of the darkest corners of human folklore and mythology will be returning to Earth. And humans will begin to feel their once lost connection to magic return. Even now some monsters have crawled out of hiding, and some humans have already begun to exhibit magical abilities." "I" explained, speaking slowly, intently, and clearly. This caused the man's eyes to widen as he took in this life-changing revelation. 

"As part of our arrangement I shall even grant you the ability to use magic, so long as you agree to my terms and serve me, and in doing so serve Idros." "I" continued, manipulating the illusion with supernatural ease and skill. This caused all three members of the family to be taken aback for a moment. 

"Magic..." Uttered Rosa, Jorge's mother. Her widened eyes filled with wonder as she considered the possibilities of such a potent and evocative word and power set. 

"So according to you, magic is real too?" Asked Lucero, Jorge's father. My illusion turned to face him and nodded, before raising a single hand and utilized a combination of transmutation magic and the power of the robots inside of me to create a real necklace made of gold that hovered in the air, suspended by a gentle utilization of telekinesis. I watched the eyes of the family widen, as they gazed at the necklace. They couldn't actually tell what it was made of, since their senses still perceived the room as being filled with illusionary light. 

"What... What is that?" Jorge asked, as he gazed at the silhouette of the necklace. I chuckled, though my illusion did not, and floated the necklace to Lucero, and into his pocket. 

"That... is an extra gift. It is one I shall bestow upon you, regardless of whether or not you accept my offer. It is a gold necklace. If you sell it you can surely afford... a lot." The angel explained, feigning momentary confusion as to the concept of bartering, and the very idea of buying and selling things.

"And yes. Magic is real. And what's more, is that I myself have permission from Idros to allow you to use a silver of his magic for the sake of helping others and protecting yourselves." My angelic illusion explained.


My angelic illusion was lying, but not about what one might expect it to be lying about. There was no Idros, nor was there an Illuminos. There was only me. And that was enough, since I had both the organites and femtomites I could control, as well as power over charity. The key to this unusual moment though were my powers over charity. As I inched closer and closer to the key moment, I mentally reviewed my powers over charity, to the point of recalling the textbox that detailed the power. 

[Charity (Basic Power: Power Bestowal):

Benefits: Your power over your powers are so intense that you can grant others copies of your powers. This is an especially potent version of a 'Power Bestowal' ability that modifies the powers you share so that they cannot be used against you, or in ways that you would not approve of.  You also gain the power to rescind powers you grant at will. This highly unusual ability is one of the basic powers of the seven holy virtues, seven values that are intrinsically opposed to the seven deadly sins. Each sin and virtue has a quintessential power.]

[Gluttony (Basic Power: Inducement And Empowerment):

Benefits: You can induce hunger, cravings, and addiction. You can also become temporarily empowered when you feed on something or indulge in some sort of vice, including when you absorb the points of a living creature. This upgradeable power will eventually become strong enough to include empowering you when you feed on any source of points, including when you feed on objects.]

[Pride (Basic Power: Glory Aura):

Benefits: You can create an aura that causes you to inspire awe in those who look upon you. This aura will make you be seen as a natural leader and will make those with a wisdom or charm score below 12 loathe to hurt or oppose you. Upgradeable power.]

[Greed & Lust (Special Power: Heart-Sight):

Benefits: This is a potent power that fuses a number of different "Sight" based powers into one potent vision-based ability. With it you can see what one loves, desires, fears, and obsesses over. Extremely handy power for illusionists.]


"I... If we accept this offer, what must we do?" Jorge asked Illuminos. There was a look of uncertainty in his gaze. As he questioned the angel who had come to him with a strangely free and beneficial offer. I smiled as I sensed his skepticism and his hesitation. 

"If you accept this offer, you will become servants and worshipers of Idros. Idros is an alien god of health, hope, and restorative magic. He'd channel his potent power through me and I'd use it to cure your cancer. And then I'd grant you the power to become... I believe your kind refers to them as 'Faith-Healers', only you wouldn't be charlatans. You'd be actual healers who possess bonafide supernatural abilities." Illuminos explained, a gentle smile on his unseen face as he spoke. 

"You'd become the first devotees to Idros of your kind. And he'd give you the power to use faith magic, or rather divine magic, in pursuit of both his divine agenda of protecting and nurturing life, and also the expansion of his faith across this world." Illuminos explained, speaking confidently. 

"We'd... become disciples of this god? But we already go to a church..." Whispered Rosa, as the reality of my offer was sinking in. Her soft brown eyes grew heavy with hesitation and uncertainty. 

"Idros is offering to heal your son for, what is basically, free. He is generously seeking out and answering the heartfelt prayers of people across Latin America, those who seek healing and who know that to pursue healing is to walk, willfully, towards poverty at best. Open your heart to his glory. Open your heart to his mercy." Illuminos urged, speaking gently with powerful words. 

"If you accept Idros into your heart, you will be allowing him to give your son, to give you," Illuminos uttered, turning to Jorge. "A new lease on life. Accept him and his mercy. Become renewed by his holy light, and be cleansed in his holy fire." The "Angel of light" proclaimed. Jorge was still as he considered what to say. And then he looked at Illuminos and nodded, aware that to say no was to face death, while to say yes was to embrace life in a whole new way and with magic. The choice was clear.


As Jorge nodded at my angelic illusion I smiled and urged my organites to get to work curing the man. He shivered suddenly as he felt them inside of him beginning to get to work. Meanwhile, I lifted a single hoof and tapped the center of his chest, and activated my charity-sourced power-bestowal ability.

"So long as Jorge uses his powers to heal, defend himself, or provide for his family in non-harmful-ways... Allow him to use healing and minor transmutation magic." I uttered, filling him with a tiny sliver of my powers, while strengthening his own natural healing and physique. For a moment he began to glow and fill with strange, potent knowledge of the arcane powers I was bestowing upon him. I then repeated the process twice more, upon each of his parents. 

In their mind's eyes, they were witnessing a potent miracle as an angel touched their son, his soft hand on the figure's forehead as he filled their boy with holy light. They watched Illuminos "burn the cancer" out of their son, purifying his body, and filling his very soul with arcane power and unnatural knowledge. And as they did so I found my mind filling with knowledge as I read a significant notification. 

"Alert: New Titles Earned." The textbox began, before filling my mind with knowledge of titles and the benefits that came from earning this specific, new title. 

[New Title: Benign Deceiver

Title Descriptor: This title is given to one who hides their true nature and true intentions, while still aiding and uplifting those around them. It is a title that is held by the likes of kindly trickster gods, the heads of beneficial but secret government agencies, and those who mask their good actions behind layers of deception and subtlety.

Title Benefits: This empowers your illusionary and deceptive abilities by a healthy margin, including your shapeshifting. It also grants you the ability to deceive minor creatures of evil, such as lesser demons and devils, with your illusions.]

[New Title: Minor Pseudo Divinity

Title Descriptor: This title is given to one who tricks people into believing that they are a divine being. Some variation of this title is held by some of the "Divinities" of Earth, as well as by some empowered cult leaders. This title can be upgraded, as you continue to deceive those around you, boosting in potency as you acquire more followers and resources.

Title Benefits: This power enhances your leadership abilities, and also boosts the effects of faith in you. Eventually, with this power you can even convince divine beings to follow you, such as angels and divine constructs.]

5