Chapter 31: The Power Of Physiology
130 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The potent entity watching her gazed upon Mirella curiously. He studied the young woman with a vibrant intensity, even as he mixed and matched his powers and prepared for what he planned to do next. 

The powerful being watching the high schooler turned magic-user had an intense stare and possessed a sharp intuition. He trusted his intuition, and he allowed it to guide the powers he activated as he readied himself for the conversation he planned to have with the empowered teenager. He himself was actually younger than Mirella, by a few months actually, but she was practically a baby compared to him as far as real experiences, even in mundane life, went. 

The mighty teenager began to mentally command the robots lurking within him, within his very blood, to change his appearance. He chuckled as they began to obey him, giving him the world's fastest and most intense makeover. He began to grow more muscular, taller, and altogether more intimidating-looking. Even his very clothing began to change, going from a mundane outfit consisting of a t-shirt and jeans, to a strange set of dark robes made to look like something a skilled knight might wear when wanting to make an impression. 

That said, not all of the changes he was undergoing were due to the robots he possessed that filled each drop of his blood. As he grew taller, he naturally gained an air of intimidation that heightened reactions to his appearance, and his eyes became glowing scarlet orbs. That was due to his choice to shift his current physiology into that of a vampire.


The physiology powers of a changeling were mighty things that made changelings incredibly feared by those who knew of them. These were undoubtedly some of a changeling's greatest natural abilities, alongside their intuition abilities, and they operated by allowing a changeling to willfully shift their "species".

At any time a changeling possessed some of the traits of any species whose "physiology" they possessed. They could mix and match these abilities at will, and their bodies naturally did so in moments when one "physiology" power they possessed would naturally mitigate or even cancel out some damage that would otherwise be done to them. An example of this natural defensive trait in action was that if a changeling possessed the "Vampire physiology" power they could survive something like decapitation without suffering any permanent damage, so long as their body wasn't destroyed and they had time to retrieve and reattach their head. 

Another example was that a powerful changeling who possessed something like the physiology of a light elemental would be immune to light-based attacks such as lasers and one who was a fire elemental, an angel, and a light elemental, such as Nathan, would be immune to the solar attacks of a sun-deity. This trait meant that changelings were often more known for their intense, unbelievable toughness than their other traits, especially ones who managed to hide the fact that they were changelings. 

Changelings, particularly deception-type changelings such as Nathan, tended to leave their passive traits deactivated. They did this so that they could more easily pass for whatever was the mundane standard for whatever world they lived in. Fortunately for them, they also tended to have powerful mutations that allowed their passive traits to be reactivated with as little as even the suspicion of danger without any active intent. Nathan's method of doing this came from the "Core Instinct" mutation he possessed, which gave his powers a facsimile of consciousness and the ability to act on what amounted to autopilot. 

Nevertheless, Nathan's clone consciously chose to activate the mighty passive traits of a vampire. Those passive traits included an invisible aura that heightened the emotional reactions one felt so long as the emotions in question were caused by the vampire, heightened senses, enhanced charm, and other powerful modifiers that made eliciting reactions from one's prey very easy.


When the clone decided to make his move, he stepped up to the edge of the roof of the building he stood on and then stepped off of it. He began to slowly, gently descend as if he were gliding rather than falling. As he did this Nathan's main body began to project mental static to all of the minds in the area aside from his own and Mirella's. 

His ability to project mental static into even hundreds of minds at once was a potent ability he had perfected during the month he spent protecting Tegucigalpa and by invisibly going to his school while his clones took notes for him and messing with his fellow classmates. This powerful ability was a sort of hyper-powerful stunning ability that made it so that the affected were not aware of anything for as long as Nathan needed them to be. And practicing it as often as Nathan did had a number of incredible benefits for him. 

Nathan's clones were unable to utilize many of his more potent superpowers, at least for now. This restriction, one which was softened in effectiveness by the fact that the clones could utilize Nathan's changeling abilities and his robots, was further mitigated by Nathan's own potent real-life training. He had honed his mental powers so much that they had begun to grow in range and effectiveness, allowing him to use them over truly vast ranges. 

At the moment the clone of the mental savant was not utilizing any mental abilities itself. Nathan's true body, however, was actively stupefying everyone who surrounded Mirella, and everyone who happened to be nearby. The vampiric clone that Nathan had deployed to speak to Mirella, and to witness her ascension out of mundanity, was not capable of reading minds but his senses were sharp enough that he could hear people all around him freezing as their minds filled with the mental equivalent of white noise. 

Mirella, in the minutes after she rescued the waitress had been in the middle of watching the restaurant owner begin to clean up the blood of the waitress whose life she had saved. His eyes abruptly widened as he froze, and she turned right around only to be unable to see anything in the direction the man was emptily gazing at.

He was just frozen in front of her, his eyes wide and his heart hammering in his chest, but otherwise unharmed or even unchanged. Nathan's clone landed right in front of the restaurant a moment after Mirella began to try and examine the man. 

As she did that her aura began to spread out of her and wrap around him. This caused her to expend more magical energy, but at the same time she was able to learn things about him by doing this. Her mind's eye filled with information about the restaurant owner, such as heart rate, his blood type, and other important medical information about the man. Her powerful magic was deftly able to do this, and as Nathan's clone watched that happen he began to smirk at the teenager. She had a heck of a powerful gift. 

The vampire silently approached the teen from behind, towering over her at the moment. As part of his transformation into a vampire, Nathan's clone had willingly extended his height so that he was close to eight and a half feet tall, or a height of around 259 centimeters. Mirella was so caught up in her desire to study and if necessary save the restaurant owner that she didn't notice the enormous creature behind her until he was close enough that she felt the coolness of his undead skin. She leaped forward and spun around in mid-air as she did, and was surprised to see him actively be avoided by her semi-sentient aura.

"Hello, Mirella." He whispered, his voice artificially lowered and impossibly deep. It seemed to rumble out of the strange, obviously supernatural creature. Her eyes narrowed as she glared at him, and he began to laugh. The air almost seemed to shake around him as he laughed, the sound slowly leaking out of his lungs and into the air around him. 

"Who... are you?" She asked, as the two of them stared at each other. The vampire crept forward and then knelt down not far from where the waitress fell. As he did he reached out a long and sinister-looking finger towards what remained of the puddle of scarlet fluid. Mirella watched the finger extend in the direction of the blood, and when it touched it the blood began to vanish causing the young heroine to gasp. The vampire's finger moved over the blood and seemed to absorb it, all while he kept his stare firmly fixed on her.

"A... What are you doing?!" She asked, furiously, as the blood disappeared into the vampire's thin finger and as it caused his skin to darken. Nathan heard her first utterance, and the clone's eyes widened in delight as he used his immense intelligence to piece together what she was about to say. 

"'A'? Why not finish that statement, Mirella?" He asked, teasingly, his scarlet eyes filling with amusement at her expense. She blushed as she embarrassingly considered what she was about to say. She knew better than to repeat it. 

"Nothing! Who are you? You're the one doing this, aren't you?" She asked, flustered as she gazed at the vampire. The clone chuckled and began to stand up once the blood vanished as he did, he began to reply to the young sorceress.

"I am a friend. A... You could call me the 'Guardian' of the city. And yes. I am a vampire. You are, in fact, also correct about me being the one responsible for the owner of this little business being in his current state. He's fine." The vampire said, honestly, and worst of all, quite charmingly.

Since his words were all true, they benefited from a variety of abilities that the vampire possessed due to things like his immense charisma. She wanted to not believe him, to distrust him, but she had lived her entire life as a mundane mortal and had no real defenses against his incredible charm. She reluctantly relaxed but kept her eyes firmly locked on the vampire's enormous form. 

"A... vampire." She uttered, amazed by several things all at once. She was amazed by the fact that she watched the blood of the waitress seep into the creature's finger. She was amazed by his honesty. And she was amazed by the fact that she believed him. 

"Yep. And you, little one, are a magic-user. One who possesses a fierce and enviable gift." The vampire replied a wide and astounded smile on his face, one that was so sincere that Mirella could hear it in his voice. 

"I... I didn't want to think about that." She confessed, as her face fell. Her power scared her, and Nathan knew that. The clone of the powerful being nodded at her, and his smile turned sympathetic. 

"The power I have... It is weird. And scary." Mirella told the clone, as she gazed at her hands and remembered the events from earlier. 

"The power you wield is a part of you, Mirella. It is something that is as much a part of you as your fingerprint, or your DNA." He explained as he turned to gaze at her aura. The rainbow-colored array of lights that surrounded her grew in intensity in response to his stare. 

"It is true that it is scary, and that it is strange, to you anyway. But it is what you make of it. Your magic is yours. It responds to you. Much like how mine, responds to me." The clone told the woman, causing her eyes to widen as she realized the implications of what he had just said. 

"Can... Can you show me?" She asked, desperate to see someone else who could use magic show her what it could do. The vampire nodded at her, as his facial expression changed and as he extended one of his long arms towards her. She watched the limb wearily, but when it stopped moving the look in her eyes changed from one of slight suspicion to one of awe as her unconscious mind sensed the initial signs of the vampire preparing to activate his elemental abilities. 

Nathan's clone wasn't able to use true magic, as that was a superpower of Nathan's, but it could use his elemental abilities. Before the clone's elemental abilities visibly manifested, the air around the creature began to shimmer as if he were in the middle of a heat mirage. And then a split second later the creature's hand began to glow as a fire sprouted just above the clone's fingertips. 

"Magic... And I can show you a lot more of it, too." The vampire muttered, before taking a few steps backward and reaching the doorframe that led people in and out of the building. He rose his other hand and placed it above the top of the frame. As he did he smirked openly at the girl. 

"That said... I mostly wanted you to be aware that there were other supernatural beings in Tegucigalpa. I came here to make your acquaintance and to size you up. And to tell you not to be afraid of your own powers." The creature explained, as a shimmering doorway that was obviously made of magic appeared behind him. 

"Mirella... The world is changing. Others like you, and others like me, are going to begin to appear. Some of them will be like you, newcomers who are caught off guard by their powers. Others... will not. You need to decide if you want to be a part of this world of magic, of change, of opportunity, or not. If you decide that you want to be a part of this world, all you need to do is want to contact me." The creature said cryptically, a wide smile on its face as it spoke. 

"I will find you, so long as you want me to. Until then... Stay in school." The odd creature said with a smile that turned a bit eerie as he spoke. Those words sent a chill down Mirella's spine, as she realized the subtle implications of his words. And for not the first time the high schooler wondered how he knew her name.

"Hey... How do you know my name?" She asked, looking at the strange and unhostile creature. There was a moment in which Nathan's clone's eyes shifted and hardened, a moment that Mirella did not miss. But Nathan knew she was going to ask that obvious question, so his annoyance came as quickly as it arrived. His eyes quickly softened and he relaxed as he opened the door. Mirella could see a small portion of a vast hilltop, unbeknownst to her that was a portion of The Sanctuary. 

"I'm a mind-reader Mirella." The vampire revealed, telling her something that was technically true, and thus gained the benefits of Nathan's powers related to truths, even as he stepped into the open door and bid farewell to the teenager. 

"It was nice meeting you. My name is Porfirio. Something tells me we'll meet again." He said, and before she could respond to the vampire's remarks the figure snapped his fingers and the door closed shut. 

At that precise moment, elsewhere, Nathan's actual body, finalized the details of the deal he was making with Joshua. And the rest of the day would be spent during the superhero equivalent of busywork. Fortunately, that very night, he received an exciting announcement.


[Alert: Tier Two Powers 

As a consequence of having a range of encounters with powered beings and purchasing every tier one power, you have earned the privilege to begin to purchase tier two powers. These powers are all considerably more powerful than the beginner-level powers you've purchased until now. You are also being given access to one power from each type for free, though each of the other powers will cost substantially more than the previous powers you've purchased until now.]

Nathan's mind's eye filled with rows of powers, each of which was something incredible compared to the past litany of abilities he had access too. And each of them alone would have made the young superhero smile. He began to imagine confronting the coven with the new powers he could purchase, and found that that the thought of that filled him with a sort of joy he had previously not possessed regarding violence. 

1