Chapter 36: Mutations And Origins
143 15 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So that creature, or... that woman, is a morphic entity. She's a 'Knight Morph'." I explained as I sat Olivia down on the bed beside me. Her eyes widened as she took in that particular revelation. 

"Whoa, seriously?" She asked, a bit stunned by the enormity of what I was revealing, more so than questioning me since I had potent passive powers that enabled me to be believed whenever I told the truth. I nodded at her and considered what else I needed to tell her to bring her up to speed. 

"Yes. And... I found her after defeating Alexandria and her sisters. In the wake of my initial battle with them they fled, but earlier tonight I was able to boost my sensory capabilities and I could track them to their hiding place. I chased them down and confronted them with one of my clones." I told her, feeling, rightfully, that that mattered else than the fact that I had befriended a "Knight Morph". When I mentioned that my clone accompanied us, he smiled and waved at Olivia. She responded to that particular bit of news by beginning to laugh softly. 

"I see... I mean, I'm glad you defeated her since that mattered to you. I definitely could have seen her and her sisters becoming an actual nuisance if you let them do their own things for a long time but compared to you even when I first saw you..." She said before her voice began to trail off as she began to stare at me.


Nathan was a frighteningly powerful young man, for a number of reasons. As Olivia's voice began to trail off she gazed at him and began to feel the potent impact of one of the ways he was a powerful being. 

All creatures who possessed superpowers had a chance of having beneficial mutations. Nathan was an extremely mutated being who possessed countless high-level mutations, and one of the more potent, and obvious mutations that affected him was known as the "Airbrush" mutation. That mutation was both extraordinarily obvious, and in the case of Nathan, immensely powerful though its true power was only just beginning to manifest. 

The effect of the "Airbrush" mutation was that it slowly gave Nathan a perfected physical body as far as beauty went. Over the course of the last few weeks, Nathan's physical beauty had slowly been perfected and pushed to become almost painfully attractive. At the moment the effects were nearing completion and to even gaze at Nathan's true, natural form was a risk since it left someone susceptible to becoming passively infatuated with him. And this effect was only strengthened by the passive traits of vampires, angels, and demons, all of which were supernaturally attractive beings and creatures that Nathan also happened to be, in addition to his innate nature as a changeling. 

Nathan's physical beauty was the sort that he was actually capable of distracting others if he didn't make moves to minimize his attractiveness. Normally this was something he passively controlled and took the edge off but he wasn't aware that his full beauty was "on" at the moment. The only reason it was "on" at all was that the establishment of his connection to the Knight Morph he had saved from starvation reset some of the mental limiters he otherwise passively used to limit the impact of just being in his presence.

His beauty was so intense that it actually qualified as a "power" and thus was both passively upgradable and also something his power-based mutations affected. That wasn't exclusively a good thing though, because since it was a superpower of his it was constantly becoming stronger and stronger, even when he actively worked to dilute it.

If he ever purposefully unleashed his beauty in full he'd be able to do truly remarkable things with it, such as becoming an idol and gaining immense fame. He occasionally considered going down that route since he had also learned how to play countless instruments and even spent time improving his singing voice to maximize the full range of talents he possessed. That said, he also possessed other potent mutations. 

While "Airbrush" was an immensely powerful mutation, especially at the degree Nathan possessed it, it was actually on the lower end of power compared to his other mutations. On the other end of the power-scale of mutations, Nathan possessed two frighteningly powerful mutations that helped amplify his powers in a range of contexts; "Hypermutation" and "Adaptability". As Nathan noticed that Olivia was distracted he signed and began to reflect on those two especially powerful mutations.


"Hey, Olivia... Come on. Earth... Err, Sanctuary, to Olivia." I muttered, annoyed by her distractedness. She slowly began to pay attention to me again, and as she did I was thankful for the mutations I possessed. It may have been my... attractiveness that was distracting her in the first play but that very same beauty was also good for getting her attention. 

Mutations were extremely powerful in a number of ways. A few of them though were especially handy for someone like me, and at the moment two such mutations sprang to mind. The first such mutation was "Hypermutation". 

"Uh... Sorry, Nathan, I was just distracted. I'm tired." Olivia told me, lying through her teeth. As she spoke I was reminded of the importance of minimizing my own beauty, which was the sort of wake-up call I needed to turn inward and take the edge off of my physical attractiveness, after realizing that I was operating at "full capacity" as it were. I also turned off my aura, which definitely hadn't been helping. When I did that I saw Olivia's eyes refocus even more which caused me to smile. I chuckled and opted to come completely clean to her.

"Hypermutation" was one of the causes of my current troubles with things like my physical attractiveness. The effect of "Hypermutation" was incredibly potent as it greatly enhanced the ability of powers I possessed to grow in potency over time and through use. Furthermore my version of "Hypermutation" was incredibly powerful and it explosively sped up the rate at which my powers grew in raw strength. With it, I was already far stronger and far more attractive than I had been when I first met Olivia, over a month ago. Even now, with me trying to taper down my own attractiveness, I was more attractive to her than I had been when we first met. 

"Adaptability" was not quite as powerful, but if anything it was more annoying. The main effect of "Adaptability" was that it expanded the functions of my powers as opposed to expanding their strength. One minor example of that was "Adaptability" had already expanded the potential of my supernatural beauty and one of the more unusual abilities that I had occasionally used; my ability to manipulate the endocrine system of living beings, by giving me the power to generate nearly irresistible pheromones which could cause those who smelled me to become maddeningly attracted to me, or worse, anyone I wanted them to be attracted to. 

Less annoying examples of "Adaptability" had included how it had strengthened my telekinesis to the point that I could now do things like write with it or even drive with it, though I still needed to either work for hundreds of hours to further develop it or upgrade it through "Telekinesis+" for a much grander, more efficient boost. It, coupled with "Hypermutation" had also upgraded my "Eternal" mutation into just full-blown, sharable, biological immortality, rather than the incredibly slow aging ability it had been originally.

And now that I had a morphic entity as a "Patron", I knew that the speed at which my powers mutated, especially horizontally, would be frighteningly fast. Things like the effects of my mutations were boosted further by any symbiotic patrons I had, and the boost was multiplicative, not addictive.  


"That explains it." Olivia replied, with a smile, a few minutes later when I was done explaining much of this to her. I could sense that her estimation of me had changed due to my own potent innate empathy, coupled with the "Empathy" power that had been given to me by The Sanctuary last month. And then her smile widened as she thought of a joke to tell me. 

"Oh gods, it almost sounds like you're a baby being of beauty, love, and lust." She told me with a large grin on her face. I could tell she was joking so I laughed along with her. That said, the thought of being a creature with such eerie powers was a bit disturbing. I could imagine countless ways to abuse those powers and not many redeeming qualities for them. Though if I further developed my powers in that realm I could use them to swiftly end conflicts which was quite nice. 

"Gods, could you imagine? Those powers would be wasted on me since I refuse to use them." I replied, chuckling at her. That caused her eyes to shift slightly as she looked at me curiously. 

"Wait... You're being serious." She replied as she felt the potent effects of me uttering a true statement. I nodded at her and opted to explain. 

"I'm not a fucking monster. Using these sorts of abilities ethically is... if not outright impossible, then nearly so. Even kissing someone, beyond a simple cheek kiss, is a moral quagmire since not only does my saliva have countless machines in it, it is also addictive." I pointed out, causing Olivia to look downward and radiate annoyance. 

"I... You're not wrong, but think about the position that puts me in." She said, referring to one of the few traditions of The Sanctuary; that its "Commander" and its "Owner" be wed. A tradition she had intended to see continued. I sighed and nodded at her. 

"I know that that's frustrating but we do need to put serious thought into this. Most, almost all of my powers, are toggleable but for reasons I simply don't understand and trust me I've questioned the system about this, these ones are not. I can't shut them off." I explained, truthfully. I was not a fan of these particular powers and if I could have shut them off I would have. She sighed and looked at me curiously.

"When you've asked the system about this... What does it tell you?" She asked me, before gazing into my eyes expectantly. I looked away from her and wondered whether or not to tell her the full truth. I then closed my eyes.

"Much to my annoyance, when I first told the system about this it didn't respond to me. In fact, when I first questioned the system about it it would stay silent for hours on end. And then a few days ago it began to tell me that these powers were becoming part of a new 'Type' of power. A type that the system referred to as 'Type-Pink'. Those powers are all related to beauty, lust, sex, sexuality, and love. And most importantly the system told me that to control them I had to use them. So rather than subject someone to that, I have opted to not use those powers." I explained, speaking entirely truthfully. 

In all my life I had never seen someone's face fall as intensely or as quickly as I saw Olivia's face fall at that moment. Her entire mood shifted when I revealed that, even her body language changing in the wake of the bomb I had just dropped. 

"So... You ARE a being of love and stuff." She said, a few moments after taking in the revelations of what I had just told her. I nodded, a bit sadly, at her words. 

"That's... How are you taking that revelation? Since you're denying yourself the abilities most intrinsic to your nature." She asked, gazing at me a bit sympathetically. I looked at her curiously and she studied my look for a moment before realizing I needed more information than that.

"If your powers are solidifying and becoming a new 'Type'... Then that means that they are genetic. Your biological parents must have been creatures of love, lust, and all that." She explained, causing my eyes to widen in shock. 

"Hmm... Well, I'm gonna need some time to sit down and figure out how I feel about that." I said, before turning to the frozen figure of the morphic entity that was my newest companion. Olivia nodded at me, with a legitimately sad smile on her face.

"I... I'm sorry, I didn't know that you didn't know that about 'Types'. You seem to know so much about powers and things related to them that I figured you knew about why we used that term given how... unhelpful and vague it can be." Olivia told me, before gently grabbing my hand. The new knowledge that I now possessed was annoyingly surprising to me and propelled me to make an interesting choice.


I still had a number of free superpowers I could acquire from the second tier of all of the powersets aside from the pink one. One of the powersets I needed to pick my free power in, was the blue powerset. And I went ahead and chose one. The potent information-gathering power known as "Multisense". 

"Multisense" was an incredible power within the same subcamp as "Arcanescience+", and with it, my senses were further increased in a truly spectacular way. And to demonstrate the raw potential of that ability to myself if no one else I activated it and transmitted my senses to the vast library within my private residence. 

The instant I did that I felt my mind's eye split even further, showcasing even further the raw power I wielded within myself. Within the library, I used my advanced senses and I began to read. I was now able to do so at a truly incredible speed, the tens of thousands of books that my abode provided me with at far faster speeds than I had been able to do so previously. As I read the books within the library I felt my raw intelligence and wisdom scores beginning to increase as I gained more and more knowledge.


"Multisense" was an unusual ability that gave me the power to do something akin to astral projecting. With it I could project all of my senses aside from touch and taste in a truly massive radius around me.

According to the description of the ability in my mind's eye I could project an unlimited number of astral selves, and thus their senses, as far as the northern tips of Canada and Greenland or the southern tips of Argentina and Chile, from my current location. That alone improved my capabilities in a number of ways. I also received a cognitive improvement that allowed me to be easily able to process all of this sensory information at once with no risk of being overwhelmed. I also knew that with time this ability's limits would be weakened as I gained more experience with it, eventually allowing me to spy on the entire world at once. And after that... spy on places even beyond Earth.

The first improvement to my capabilities was that this represented a truly phenomenal flat-out boost to my sensory abilities. My senses were ultra-humanly keen but some of my senses had frustrating limits. My eyesight for example could be obstructed by things like walls since at the moment I couldn't see through solid objects even though I could actually see for kilometers if unobstructed. This allowed me to circumvent that otherwise annoying caveat.

This was also a truly absurd boost to my cognitive abilities since with it I could do things like individually listen to even millions of conversations at once, which previously would have been nearly impossible even for me. And perhaps most importantly... I could also use my psychic abilities through my astral selves. 

This ability transformed me into a one-man espionage agency, able to do all sorts of absurd acts by myself. If I felt like embracing the part of me that was nerdy I could use this to spy on film sets and to peek at all sorts of scripts. If I felt like being heroic I could use this to be one of the world's greatest detectives. 

I was determined to master this ability and master it so extremely that I seemed omniscient. With this power I'd take my immense intellect and hone it even further.

3