The Empress Dowager
1.2k 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Bai Yu Yan handed the matters of the shop to Manager Gao and left for the palace with Xiao Fan. The sun had finally come out of the clouds after the gloomy sky since the past few days and brightened the land underneath it. The day was sunny and bright. 

The carriage of the Lu house pulled outside the palace gates. Bai Yu Yan thought that the carriage would be stopping there and she would have to walk inside. However, after the coachman gave them her identity, the imperial guards at the gate respectfully opened the gate without keeping them waiting for a moment longer and allowed the carriage to go inside. 

Lu Tong Xiao’s authority allowed him to walk in and out of the palace as if it was his own garden but she hadn’t expected that the courtesy would extend to his family as well. 

Bai Yu Yan had sent a message to Li Ling saying that she would be visiting her. So when the carriage pulled and she got down, a palace maid was already waiting for her. Seeing the maid politely greet her, Bai Yu Yan silently sighed in relief. 

Getting lost in the palace while wandering without knowing the restricted areas would be akin to inviting trouble to oneself which is why she had informed Li Ling that she would be coming to see her in advance. 

“Madame Lu, Third Princess has instructed this servant to escort you. This way please,” said the maid respectfully while directing them towards the stoned paved path. 

Bai Yu Yan had already gotten used to having people bow before her wherever she went as a courtesy to her status. So without a change in expression, she nodded her head and followed the maid as the latter led them through the path Bai Yu Yan had never been before. 

From that alone, she could see how big the palace was. The garden where they had the banquet last time was one of the many gardens owned by the royal family. The vast stretch of land was carefully built into man-made mountain structures, water fountains and courtyards owned by the various royals living in the palace. Each structure was more spectacular than the other. 

The more she looked at it, the more she felt that the Prime Minister’s residence was not only luxurious but modest and comfortable to live in. It was an appealing toned down but one with its own charm. Nonetheless, she didn’t forget to admire the rare scenery of the palace as she walked through it along with Xiao Fan. 

Suddenly the palace maid leading them in the front stopped in her tracks and bowed in a ninety degree. This caused Bai Yu Yan, who was happily admiring the flowers and birds, to stop and curiously look towards the direction the maid was bowing at. 

A few meters ahead, an old lady in a luxurious robe was strolling towards them from the direction they were going at. She was wearing a dark orange and beige robe with golden thread drawing patterns on it. Behind her, a maid was helping her carry a handmade pashmina shawl, the type that was difficult to find even in the modern age.   

The woman had a mature charm along with the regal bearing befitting a royal. 

When she glanced towards them, Bai Yu Yan dropped her scrutinizing eyes. With hands tucked in front of her stomach, she bowed her head in greeting, her posture respectful. Her body inclined forward to a degree which seemed neither too humble nor arrogant.

“Bai Yu Yan greets Empress Dowager. Wishing Your Highness prosperity and good health.” 

“Raise your head, Madame Lu,” came her mild reply a short moment later. Although the woman was already in her old age, there was an undeniable authority in her voice which was hard to ignore. 

The empress dowager slowly walked towards Bai Yu Yan as if she was only taking the stone-paved path before her. Just when Bai Yu Yan thought the woman would pass by her, the empress dowager stopped and asked, “It seems we have a guest in the palace. What a coincidence to meet Madame Lu here. Are you here for some business, perhaps?” 

Bai Yu Yan raised her head to look at the dignified woman in front of her. It was the first time she was meeting the Empress Dowager face to face. Contrary to the indifference in the old woman’s attitude, there was a depth of profound kindness in her eyes which confused Bai Yu Yan.  

Empress Dowager’s words expressed her surprise at the chance encounter but the calm tone in her voice made it difficult for others to read her mood. Even the maids by her side had a disciplined attitude honed from years of strict training.

A polite smile hung on Bai Yu Yan's face as she replied, “Your Highness, this one had come to visit Princess Li Ling after hearing that she has been unwell these few days. Didn’t expect to meet Your Highness on the way.” Although a part of her doubted this was a coincidence. 

As Bai Yu Yan was answering the question, the empress dowager’s keen eyes studied the young woman in front of her. Unlike how the noble ladies elaborately dressed when coming to the palace, Bai Yu Yan was wearing a red muslin skirt and a white silk top without any extravagant decoration. Half of her hair was loosely twisted into a low bun. Both her jewellery and makeup were kept to a minimum. Still, her fresh and youthful charm did not compromise one bit. 

The empress Dowager nodded her head in understanding, “I had heard that Princess Li Ling has recently made a new friend. Didn’t expect it to be Madame Lu.” 

Bai Yu Yan's relationship with Li Ling hadn’t reached the point of regarding each other as friends. Based on their few interactions, they could be considered acquaintances. But she didn’t feel the need to point it out and simply smiled. 

“Princess has been cooped up in the palace for quite a few days. She will be happy to see you. Later, Madame Lu should invite her out to play sometimes. The path of the palace is like a maze, one can easily lose their way here,” said Empress Dowager as her fingers gently played with the Buddhist prayer beads hanging from her hand, “It’s better not to visit here often, child.” 

Bai Yu Yan took a moment to make sense of her word. The empress dowager was telling her not to visit the palace? Not that she minded, as if the need had not arisen to visit this place, she would happily avoid it. But hearing it from the other woman, she was curious for the reason behind the empress dowager’s words. It seemed like a reminder as she detected no malice coming from the old woman. 

The marriage of Bai Yu Yan and Lu Tong Xiao was arranged by the Empress Dowager. She had even gone against the emperor’s request in order to pass the decree for this matchmaking of the people of two varied status which had bothered a lot of people. Still, no reason was provided to justify her actions. 

After the death of the previous emperor, the empress dowager had quietly retreated from her role in the kingdom politics, leaving her son to take care of the matters of the kingdom. She spent her days praying in the temples or inside her own palace and never tried to control anyone in the court through her influence. In fact, even in the palace festivals, she was not seen taking part unless her presence was absolutely required.

So coming out of her quiet lifestyle to pass such a sudden order for their marriage was definitely not to showcase her power. From the empress dowager’s mature temperament, Bai Yu Yan could see the old woman was not someone to make her decision without a solid purpose. 

Unfortunately, the original story had not made any mention about the details. At first, she had thought that the mother of the original Bai Yu Yan might have done some favour to the empress dowager and asked for this marriage for her daughter in return. But if that was the reason then Bai Yu Yan would have had a close relationship with the empress dowager and right now she would be getting a warm reception from the latter. 

However not once did Bai Yu Yan visit the empress dowager after she came to this world. Most importantly, from her memory, she could see that it was the first time she had ever seen the empress dowager which confused her even more regarding the situation and why she was suggesting her not to visit the palace. 

Knowing that she wouldn't be getting the answer to it right now, Bai Yu Yan looked at the Empress Dowager and acted like she simply took her words to its face value.   

6