The Return
1.3k 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The streets of the capital had been bustling with chattering noises and a vibrant crowd since the early morning. The most awaited news had travelled past the walls of the palace to the ears of the people outside. The beloved Princess of Xin was finally returning to her home after eight long years. And her escort none other than the revered His Excellency, Prime Minister Lu. It could not be any more perfect. The piece of news was enough to make the excited people from all walks of life eager to welcome the duo.

The streets in the capital seemed as if the Commander of the Xin kingdom had returned victorious after a battle.

Bai Yu Yan had been busy all day. After receiving the information from the palace, she decided not to open the shop and stayed in the manor to make sure everything was in order. She had instructed the servants to be extra diligent in cleaning the courtyard and trimming the grasses in the garden. The curtains were changed to a new set. The kitchen had been ordered to prepare the dishes of Lu Tong Xiao’s liking as well as some fine wine for the dinner.

Only when everything was in perfect order she became satisfied and was finally dragged by Xiao Fan to get dressed.

“Miss, you should have left those matters for the servants to handle. Look at the time, His Excellency will arrive any moment now and you are not even dressed properly” nagged Xiao Fan as she braided the top portion of Bai Yu Yan’s long hair.

Bai Yu Yan sat in front of the huge copper mirror and let the handmaid do her hair and makeup. She was wearing a long lavender skirt and white top embroidered with colourful beads. Her creamy smooth skin was covered by wide opaque sleeves that rested right above her fair fingers. 

Inserting a golden hairpin in the half bun, Xiao Fan looked at her Miss in the mirror and gave a content sigh. If only her Miss was not already married, the line of men pursuing her could probably make a round around the capital. Xiao Fan was sure that today, His Excellency would not be able to take his eyes off her Miss.

“Xiao Fan, wipe your drool” Bai Yu Yan smiled as she teased her maid who was giggling by herself.

Xiao Fan stood behind the chair looking at her Miss and unconsciously rubbed the back of her hand over her lips. Only after hearing Bai Yu Yan’s chuckle, she realised that she fell for the joke.

“Missss, you’re teasing Xiao Fan, ah!” complained the maid with a frustrated cry.

“Madame, His Excellency’s carriage has already reached the manor’s entrance” a servant's voice came from outside the chamber, breaking the giggle of Bai Yu Yan.

“Already? Isn’t His Excellency going to the palace first?” Surprised, Xiao Fan asked the maid when she saw her Miss had already run outside the chamber leaving her behind.

“Miss, don’t run so fast. You still haven’t worn the bracelet yet” shouted Xiao Fan as she grabbed the jade bracelet and ran after Bai Yu Yan.

Under the sky with the evening glow, Bai Yu Yan hair was tousled with the gentle breeze as she sped through the narrow winding road outside her courtyard. Unlike the subtle smile inching her face, her heart was rapidly drumming against her chest.

The dipping sun cast an orange hue as far as the eyes could reach but her gaze didn’t linger in the beauty even for a moment.

At the gate of the Lu manor, a dozen guards stood in an alert position, blocking the path of the crowd of people that had gathered outside. The soldiers had the crest of the imperial family engraved in the scabbard of the swords hanging from their waist. It could be seen that the armies of the royal family had gathered along with the guards of the Lu manor. But even though the royal guards outnumbered the guards of Lu Tong Xiao, the aura of his trained guards were by far the scariest.

Bai Yu Yan’s bright eyes looked past the crowd to search for Lu Tong Xiao’s horse. She was almost sure the man would travel in his own horse rather than sitting inside the carriage.

The deadly ashen expression on the guards’ face escaped her vision as her eyes halted on the black horse that Lu Tong Xiao had departed with. Unexpectedly, she didn’t see the man’s shadow anywhere near it. Instead, Xuyi stood beside the horse with a clenched jaw and dark face.

After what felt like forever, a huge carriage bearing the royal crest came into view from the distance. A group of guards in tall horses surrounded the carriage as if they were providing protection to the carriage from all the sides.

“Our First Princess is back!”

“Princess, welcome home! Welcome back to Xin!”

“Your Excellency, Princess!”

The crowd parted the way as they cheered in loud voices. Colourful flowers and petals were thrown towards the carriage from all the sides as a display of their love for the people inside the carriage. The monarch was hailed by the noble and commoners alike but Lu Tong Xiao was treated no less than a royal prince. For the people of Xin kingdom, he was their hero who had relentlessly worked for their nation.

Bai Yu Yan’s eyes took in the view before her as the guards formed two neat rows on the two sides and saluted in unison. It reminded her that her husband was not an average man. In a corner of her heart, she felt the unknown pride slowly seeping through her chest. With both hands tucked on her front, she watched as the carriage smoothly entered through the huge gate. 

As the gentle breeze slowly lifted the curtain, a loud gasp escaped from the crowd. Bai Yu Yan felt like a bucket of iced water was poured above her head as her gaze halted in what seemed like a scenery straight out of the rare painting.

In a pure white flowing dress, a mesmerizing woman sat inside the well-cushioned luxurious carriage in a graceful posture. Her long hair was a little mess with strands falling down the simple jade hairpin. But it did not cause even a dent to her beauty, instead, her naturally contoured face glowed in the light of the evening as if she was the source of light itself.

But what took everyone by surprise was not the beauty. It was the man lying in her embrace. Amidst the cheering crowd, Xin An Rou’s gaze didn’t inch away from the dignified man’s face as she looked at him with lowered eyes. The man’s eyes were peacefully closed while his head rested on the lap of Xin An Rou as if nothing could disturb the two of them.

The pair inside the carriage looked so enchanting that the people who witnessed the scene were afraid of disturbing them. The silent crowd forgot to react as the carriage slowly drove past them. 

7