Chapter 1: Beginning of a new journey
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I opened my eyes and slowly got up.

Looking around I found myself in an unfamiliar environment.

Where am I "Is this place some kind of jungle?" 

I tried to get up but my head feels heavy and dizzy.

I tried but can't remember who am I or how I got here.

*Grumble* 

Well, at least I know that I didn't eat anything before I got here.

Suddenly a voice rang in my head-

"Live a safe and happy life"

I wonder what was that all about but my headache vanished after hearing the voice and I feel slight comfort.

While walking around the forest, admiring the thick flora and fauna and the pleasant sound of birds and insects surrounding me.

"This is really beautiful, feels like a dream"

I picked an apple-like fruit fallen beneath the tall tree.

*Crunch*

It tastes like a peach.

Strangely enough, I can tell which fruits are edible and which are not considering it's my first time seeing them.

While carrying a bunch of fruits I walked for some time but still can't find any traces of civilisation.

"Looks like I am stuck in the middle of nowhere"

The only silver lining is that I haven't encountered any dangerous animals---

*GROWL*

"That is definitely not the sound of my stomach... "

I am really stupid raising such an obvious flag.

It is definitely a sound of gruesome man meat-eating animal.

"That definitely sound like a man-eating animal...." 

While cursing myself internally I slowly and steadily moved towards the source of the sound.

You might be thinking that I am crazy for doing that. 

But hey it's my life I can play with it however I like. But, the main reason is that it will be my first interaction with any other lifeform so I was curious. 

They say curiosity killed the cat,  but I'll take my chances...

The sound of birds chirping and insects buzzing completely stopped.

I grabbed a stick fallen on the ground and peeked through the bush.

In the cave, I could clearly see a small bear-like animal licking the wounds of the one that looked like it's a mother.

If I describe it the large bear had white fur similar to a polar bear with three horns, two on the side and one on the middle of the forehead.

I judged that maybe this is not the earth,  since I have never heard about such animals on earth. 

The smaller one also has while fur but there are no horns. 

The mother was laying on the ground with a lot of wounds on her body. 

There are lot of broken trees nearby indicating that mother bear was fighting something.

The cub of the same size of as puppy and was crying as I could see small teardrops on the eyes. 

It knows that her mother won't live much longer if not treated soon.

Couldn't bear to watch, I slowly got out of the bush and approached them and threw the stick so I don't scare them.

"Hello, there momma bear how are you doing"

No reply came... not that I expected any...  But still, it feels kinda lonely.

The mother bear was looking at me dumbfounded.

She saw me approaching and glanced at me for some time but soon let her guard down as she probably doesn't consider me as a threat to her or her child. 

I steadly and carefully approached the child, gently patted her head and gave the fruits so she can eat as it looked hungry.

I shrugged when I saw the mother bear's eyes continuously looking at me.

"I know I am handsome but please don't stare too much"

She was trying to read me completely even though she was in a lot of pain.

I want to save her,  don't know why I mean I can get a lot of meat to eat if I just let her die.. it won't be easy to kill her but she looks like she will die soon without me doing anything,  still, I decided to save her so I worked my brain.

It hasn't been long since I got here, I don't know my ways around this forest. 

I don't know how will I survive without any knowledge of the place,  to make it worse I even have amnesia.

Maybe mother bear saw me struggling and gave a warm smile,  like saying you don't have to feel bad about it,  it's just how the rule of jungle is. Only the strong can survive.

But I became even more confident that I need to save her and I will not give up. 

Clenching my fist, I got close to the mother and gently rubbed her forehead. 

I still clearly remember the voice "live a safe and happy life" which I heard when I first woke up. 

I will save her, I have made up my mind.

The cub slowly approaches me so I tried to talk to it... 

"Hey there little bear"

She looked at me blankly for a moment but shook her head. 

She doesn't like the name little bear but we do not have the luxury of time to sit and decide a nice name.

She hugged me with her small arms while tears rolling from her eyes.

"Let's save your mother together. "

I picked her up and hugged her until she stopped crying. She was really desperate to save her mother. 

A warmth filled my heart.

I went to the river that was five kilometres from the cave,  filled water of bottles made of leaves, gathered some herbs which I somehow knew is for treating the wounds and also picked various fruits to eat and dragged everything back to cave.

When I returned the little bear ran towards me and hugged my legs with her tiny arms.

"I'm back," I said that with a smile. 

She looked at me and smiled.

We washed the wounds of the mother. 

Crushed the herbs with rock and made a paste which then applied on wounds and covered it with leaf.  I tied it with vines so it won't come off.

Mother bear looked at me helplessly that she could only receive the kindness of some stranger whom she just met so I told her

"Don't worry about the small stuff,  and once you get better you can give me the tour of the forest as compensation."

*She gives a small nod with a face full of excitement.*

Feels like she said that she will give a really wonderful tour that I will never forget. 

I smiled wearily.

I let the cub feed fruits to her mother, she looked really happy. 

Watching her I gave a warm smile,  but it was just for a moment.

"...  it will be dark soon... "

Everyone knows that jungle is really scary at night,  even more since I don't even know anything about this place.

I made some Hatchets using sharp stones found in the river and tying it on a stick with vines. 

Strangely the stone is really sharp,  it can easily chop a tree with it. Also with lot of fallen logs it won't be a problem for a while.

"Little bear make some holes at entrance of the cave"

She started digging the ground and I put the log in the hole and filled with dirt so the log won't fall.  

I left enough space so I can barely squeeze myself to and get out. 

This will at least prevent larger beasts from entering.

Inside the cave is really spacious so after blocking the entrance with logs I lit the fire and had left some space on the entrance so the smoke can go out.

You might think that bears are scared of fire but it's not,  only reptiles cold-blooded reptiles like snake are scared of fire,  plus these are not bears, but it's similar looking so I call them bears.

"Little bear come here"

I called out to the little cub, it feels good to have someone to speak to even though it's a one-sided conversation.

She made an annoyed expression but gave up and unwillingly accepted the name.

She sat on my lap and I started patting her.

"Your mother will get better soon"

I looked at the mother bear who is sleeping peacefully.  She must still be in pain but now her life is not in danger and could probably start moving in a week.

I am more concerned about the beast that injured the mother bear.

I would be no match for a beast that even mother bear could not defeat.

Little bear was eating fruits on my lap that I gave her. 

It's really cute watching her try to eat a fruit bigger than her head. 

"Maybe I should give you a decent name..."

She always gets annoyed when I call her little bear.

When I said that I could see her eyes sparkling for a moment... 

"Maybe it's just my imagination... "

Soon she too went to sleep on my lap and I waited for night to end while being on guard for any approaching monsters.

Sunlight falls on my face and i slowly opened my eyes.

Without realising I had falled asleep while guarding. "Maybe I was really tired."

2