Chapter 9: Unexpected Encounters
42 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Crisp sounds of snapping and crunching resounded, like twigs and dry leaves being stepped on. And they seemed to be near and behind me.

Then I felt being pulled and something covered my mouth.

“Don’t scream.” A harsh voice whispered in my ear.

W-who?! I mentally screamed, my heart thudded in furious beats that it almost seemed to burst forth out of my chest. Am I discovered by one of them? As if sensing I might struggle to escape, my back was pressed tightly to my captor, one of his arms locked around me.

“Don’t struggle and keep quiet. They’re almost here.” My captor warned in a voice I could barely heard to how low he said it and partly to the pounding of my heart.

I gradually stopped my attempt to struggle as the words finally registered to my frantic mind, realizing that he seemed to be not part of the group of men. Seeing that I understood his words, the hands that bind me and my mouth didn’t let go but loosened a bit.

“Keep still. After they leave, I’ll let go.” He said softly, as if trying to reassure me.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I mean no harm, miss.” He added, whispering to my ear.

Although I was still wary to my unknown captor, I decided to cooperate for now as I am more afraid to be discovered by the men earlier. And that I cannot easily escape from his strong grip. I tried nodding my head despite in my awkward position.

“Thank you, Miss. Please put up with this for a bit.” He exhaled in relief and said in an apologetic tone.

The two of us had then gone quiet as the sounds of approaching steps became closer.

As he kept his arm around my torso, my back plastered against him and one of his hands still covering almost half part of my face, making me unable to move my head or see my captor’s looks. Both of us leaned on our sides against the tree, barely peeking out our heads. I could feel his solemn breaths at the back, feeling a bit uncomfortable at the slight hot and humid air that touches my scalp.

Snap. Rustle. Rustle.

“Why am I partnered with you? I should’ve been together with the leader.” One masculine voice grumbled.

“You think I’m fine with this? Who would like to pair up with a wimp?” A nasal voice said next, sounding like a retort to what the former voice said.

Two figures approached, bickering. As they get nearer, I identified they were the one who almost had a fight, the one with the dagger and the man who seemingly uses poison.

“Who in their right brain partner with a lunatic?” the former voice, who belonged to the poison man, snapped back.

“Humph. Fine, then. I’ll be looking over there. Don’t you follow me. Let’s see if you came running like some real coward later.” The nasal voice, belonging to the dagger man, said in a gloating tone, clearly trying to provoke his companion.

“Ha! Who would follow you? Fine, I’ll be looking over here. Don’t you come running towards me if you got spooked.” The other one snorted.

The two separated, with the dagger man going in another direction away from where my captor and I are hiding. The other man, however, began to trudged forward, closer to where we were.

“Seriously, why am I group together with that damn lunatic…” the man muttered as he kept walking, his eyes turning into slits as his expression portrayed his irritability.

Just as the man was a few feet away, I could feel my captor tensing up. Both of us retreated our heads back and hold our breath. Cold sweat had formed on my forehead. In my mind, I keep praying for the man to hurry and pass us by.

Please don’t let the man find us. Please don’t notice us. I repeatedly thinking, my eyes tightly shut.

Then suddenly, we were unable to hear any rustling, as if the man had stopped walking.

And a sentence was heard that raised goosebumps all over my body.

“Oh? What do we have here?” said the unwelcoming voice in a singsong tone that seemed just to be on the other side of the tree we’re hiding.

It’s over. I mentally cried as my body trembled in fear.

What will they going to do to us? Will they put us into “silence” as well?

… am I going to die again?

These forlorn thoughts of mine was cut off as the man made his next statement.

“What do we have here? Looks like that damn mutt scampered here. Or maybe… had its meal here with all these blood?” the man continued and snorted, seemingly amused at his own words.

I felt my mind paused for a bit. Blood…?

Then a low and deep growl reverberated somewhere around us.

“W-what’s t-that?” the man’s voice suddenly stammered, reflecting the question I also had at the moment. I could also sense the uncertainty of the person behind me as if he was also confused.

 Then we heard something rustling.

“Grrr...”

Another growl came, but this time clearer, sharper, and more fear-evoking.

“Oh, s-shit.” The man on the other side swore as if shocked.

What’s going on? Curiosity sparked within me, mixing with consuming fear of still being discovered and captured by the rough men.

“Damn it. Should I stab it? Dart this thing more with a strong poison? It’s already bloody wounded.” The man muttered on the other side.

Recalling the blood trail I encountered earlier, my curiosity won out and I break out from my captor’s grip, much to his surprised.

“H-hey!” my captor called out in a harsh whisper behind me.

Ignoring him, I peek my head out and saw the back of the man, his attention on the creature in front of him.

Looking past the man, my eyes rounded as I saw a huge furry brown canine. Even with the distance, the creature seemed strong and agile. Pointed ears, sleek, agile body and legs covered in brown fur. The creature has bushy tail and big teeth and jaw.

A huge brown wolf that was currently barring its long sharp teeth and looked ready to pounce.

The wolf let out a fierce howl and charge towards the man.

“Shit!” the man began to retreat backwards, his hands fumbling and fishing something out of his pouch. He pulled what looked like a vial and poured out its content at the blade of a small dagger he had gotten in the pouch. Some of the liquid spilled on the ground as he tried to evade the charging creature and put a big distance between them while keeping his eyes trained to its movements.

The wolf growled menacingly as it attacks again. The man had barely dodge this time and fell to the ground. Seeing its prey almost down, the wolf immediately pounce. However, the man suddenly balled up his fist on the ground and hurled some bits of soil and dirt towards the wolf, making it temporarily go blind. As the wolf shook its head and got distracted, the man towered over it and raised the dagger he drenched in a questionable liquid, as if to struck it down.

Realizing the creature was about to be killed, I looked around in panic, trying to find the small ax I unconsciously dropped as I was grabbed earlier. Unable to find it, I saw a rock which was almost more than half the size of my fist. Picking it up, I raised my arm and clenched my teeth.

Here goes nothing.

Then I threw it towards the man with much force I could muster.

As if by luck, it hit the surprised man’s wrist, and the dagger fell away from his grip.

“Ouch! What the hell!” the man exclaimed, anger, pain, and surprise in his expression. His head then swiveled around, looking where the rock came from.

“Crouch down!”

I was suddenly pulled down by a hand just as the sharp gaze slid towards to where I stood and threw the rock. Then the person beside me murmured angrily.

“Are you insane! Do you want to be seen and captured!” he shouted in a whisper.

“S-sorry.” I whispered back, my hand clutching my chest and I closed my eyes. I gasp in short breaths, thankful from escaping on almost being seen if not for the person beside me.

A painful scream then echoed towards where the man and the wolf are fighting.

I quickly opened my eyes and look back at the scene. The wolf was growling towards the man, its teeth gleaming dangerously as the man watch it warily while cradling a bloodied arm. Huge, angry claw marks can be seen between his fingers. Blood was dripping to his fingertips, staining the ground red. The man kept his eyes on the wolf as he slowly stepped back. The wolf also advanced a step. The man’s face paled in frightening shade of white.

When the wolf let out a spine-tingling howl, the man stumbled backwards and ran.

“He’s gone.” I whispered, my eyes trained on the wolf a distance away from us and the disappearing silhouette of the man as it went further away until it was no longer in sight.

“Looks like he won’t be looking around here for some time.”  The person beside me murmured and I heard him stood up.

I also stood up and pat away my clothes. Then as I raised my head, my eyes met with the gaze of the wolf. Its sharp, shining blue, and inquiring eyes fixed on me.

0