Remembrance and Unease
18 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Come to think of it, how long had it been since I had last seen her? Since the three of us were together?  

Ice clinked against a glass that was way too big for how small I was then. Using both hands, I raised the juice to my lips and took a sip before slamming it back down on the wooden table. Wiping my mouth with my sleeves, I looked behind me to see Aya waving with both hands as she leaned on the open patio door. 

“Hurry, Shi!” Aya said, motioning me over. During those days, her hair was much shorter with that bowl cut she had. Not to mention, she actually bothered to wear the golden-rimmed glasses she still needed to see. “Cardcollector Blossom isn’t going to be on for a little bit, and Grandma said we can’t play at our hideout…but I was thinking we could play hide and seek instead!”

The long, uncut, grass tickled my shins as I stood up. 

“Hide and seek?” I rolled my shoulders. Pointing to myself with my thumb, I said, “It might be your house but don’t cry to me when I finally win this time, Senpai.”

“That’s the spirit! After you can’t find me and start bawling though, let’s bake some cookies for Grandma too. You know, as a little treat.“

“Yeah, let’s do that! I’ll show Granny just how good of a baker I’ve become.“ It wasn’t until Aya’s words fully registered that I jolted up before crossing my arms. “N-not going to cry though. I’m not a crybaby like you. Besides, this time it’s my turn to win.” 

“Sure, sure.”

Like always, we rushed inside and closed the door behind us. 

It was that moment when my safe space expanded forward for as long as the eye could see. In that house that was a home away from home— where every day was full of peace and laughter, where every large, winding room had its own story just waiting to be discovered. 

How could I have forgotten?

In that house with the three of us, comfort couldn’t even begin to describe what I felt. 

“Dear?”

Yuu’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. She was wearing the same sweater she borrowed when we went to the mall together with Aya and held her white gown out in front of her.

Looking around and seeing that I was sitting on my red carpet, it seemed we had taken a slight detour back to the cafe.

“Sorry,” I said, rubbing the back of my neck. “I was just thinking about something and got carried away. What are we doing here again?”

She tossed her phone in front of me. “Well, I was just thinking. You told me that Aya’s grandmother could potentially help us out with the opening of the cafe, right?”

“Yeah, she might. Why?”

Her eyes flicked down before widening. Yuu gripped the collar of her sweater and pulled it up to her neck, refusing to let go of it afterward.  She placed her free hand on her cheek and managed to muster a smile as she spoke, “That…would make this our first official business meeting as employees of the ‘White Wings Cafe.’ Surely it would be crucial to dress a little more formally for an occasion as important as this?”

“Oh, I see, it's like a first impression or something. I guess that could work. I think I have something lying around.” I stood up and scratched the back of my neck.” Wait, it would only be one for you, huh?”

I raised an eyebrow as she slipped both hands into her sleeves before gripping her collar again.  I leaned closer to her and tilted my head. “Are you alright? You’re not hurt, are you?”

“A-amazing! Let us decide on the perfect outfit then.” 

“Hey. Don’t ignore me—” 

“Threads: Copy.”

Yuu threw her gown on top of her phone and a flash of white light enveloped the room. I hissed in pain as I covered my eyes. When I could actually see again, her gown was nowhere to be seen. What was in front of me now was a bright, shiny red dress that felt like I was too poor to look at, let alone touch.   

“Something like this should do the trick! First impressions are important after all. It even has sleeves! Can’t say that won’t help.”

I sat there in stunned silence for a moment. Looking back at her phone, the same dress with a price tag that absolutely broke the bank stared back at me. 

“This is…basically stealing, isn’t it?” 

“My gown belongs to me and me alone. I have simply copied the appearance of something else.” I gave her an unimpressed look. “Oh, stop that! If anything, it’s similar to creating new clothes with older materials. It…just so happens that these materials can adapt to anything I put on it.”

“Not very angelic, Yuu.”

There was a knock at the door, followed by Aya walking in. Still in her school uniform, she was not amused in the slightest. 

“Let’s not keep her waiting too long, you two.” she said, arms folded. 

Yuu looked back and smiled. “Great, you’re here too!  You join in on this, Aya. You’re an employee, after all.”

“It’s my Grandma. I am not dressing up all fancy just to go see her.”  

-

-

Eventually, we both found something to wear that was more business-oriented before heading out. I even managed to convince her to wear something less…bankrupting. Yuu wore a dark blue vest with the white collared shirt from her school uniform underneath, while I decided on a black sleeveless shirt and light brown overcoat. The only one who stayed in their uniform was Aya.

“Come on,” she said. Aya shook her head.  “It’s really not that serious, guys! I get wanting to make a nice impression as a business but you do realize you’re just talking to an older person. Would you dress up like this to talk to Miss Maeda?”

“Not at all, but I think those are two wildly different scenarios,” I said.

Yuu closed her eyes before raising a finger. “Yes, exactly! There’s still time to turn back, Aya. I’m certain I can find something just for you.”

“It ain’t happening. Once I get home, I’m changing into something comfortable, and then once you two are gone, I’m taking a nice nap. I have no clubs to look after today, do you understand how rare that is?”

They continued to go back and forth as I tried my best not to get in between them. As important as the discussion was, I just had other things on my mind.

Lately, I’ve been a bit more wary of what I have been thinking about, and I guess a part of that has something to do with Ako. Since she could hear certain embarrassing thoughts, it gave her more than enough ammunition for making fun of me in the future.  At least, it did at one point. My mind was still reeling from getting sick all those days ago, and it was still extremely fuzzy even as we continued to walk. The last time I remembered hearing her annoying laughter, although vaguely, was during one of the three days I was sick.  

And yet, Ako Tsubasa was nowhere to be found. 

No snide remarks. No pulling me into my World of Glass for a pointless conversation. Not even after today’s blunder with Yuu had she spoken up. I was certain she would tease me for it if she heard this, but I was a little worried. Angel or not, she was just a kid. An extremely rude kid, but a kid nonetheless. 

The distinct smell of smoke permeated the air as the sun beamed on our faces. Not of cigarettes or smog. What was in the air was none other than the aftermath of something being set ablaze.

“Guys, do you—” I tried to butt into their conversation but found my words dissolved on my tongue.

Yuu and I both crashed into Aya’s stuck-out arm and took a few steps back. In front of me was a familiar sight— a medium-sized silver gate with ornate patterns sticking out from it stood in our way, refusing to match the designs of neighbouring fences beside it. Beyond this gate was home. Nothing else could describe it. Upon seeing the large, grey, three-story house with a set of white balconies in the front and huge windows that were the size of a door, any worries I once had washed away with the sweat from May’s scorching sun.

“This isn’t a candy shop,” I said, unable to hide my teeth as I covered my mouth.

“You don’t seem upset by that though, do you, Shi? Grandma wants to open one up in the sideyard if you gotta know all the details.”

“Like Grandmother like granddaughter, I guess.”

“Oh shush.”

Yuu took a few steps in front of me with her mouth agape. “Your place is huge! Just how do you live here by yourself?”

“Ah, well, you kinda get used to it. I’m barely at home anyway.”

“Yeah, Aya’s loaded. Marine biologist money is pretty impressive, isn’t it?” I asked with a smirk.

She responded by punching me in the shoulder pretty hard. How rude. “I don’t want to hear this from the kid with an inheritance,” she said, shaking her hand out. “Let’s just head on in already. We’ve kept her waiting for long enough, I think.”

Aya closed the gates behind us as we took our first steps in. The time was 3:05 p.m.  Strolling along the white and grey tiled pathway in between the long, untamed grass growing from both sides and going up three concrete steps, she knocked on the navy blue door three times. No one answered.

Aya frowned before trying again. “Grandma, we’re here, so open up! I even brought Shi with me! You wanted to see her, remember?”

There was a bit of shuffling and thumping coming from behind the door before stopping altogether. A brittle yet warm voice is what came next, one that filled me with nostalgia.

“Oh, you brought your friends? Come in, you two!” Her voice dropped to a whisper only a second later. “Where is it? I could have sworn…”

We opened the door to a mess of books, papers and clothing littering the red-carpeted floor below. Granny was—or rather, her red slippered feet were sticking out of an old grey bin next to a small table with a drink as she tossed various things out onto the ground. Noticing this, Aya rushed over and pulled her out.

“Geez, what are you doing?! We’ve got guests, you know!”

“Ah…well, you see, I’ve seemed to misplace my necklace. I remember that I put away when I left a few years back, I just don’t know where anymore, “ she said, rubbing the back of her neck.

“Next time, wait until I get home to move stuff around. The last thing you need is to strain yourself!”

“And bug you so soon after I’ve come home? There’s no way I would be alright with that!” She smacked her arm twice and laughed as she pretended to flex. “Your Grandma is stronger than she looks. Don’t look down on me just yet.”

“I’m sure…”

Granny gasped as she saw me. Hurrying over and pushing both hands against my cheeks, she stared into my eyes and sighed with delight.

“Goodness gracious, why if it isn’t Shiro Hoshino! It’s just been forever, hasn’t it? I’m excited to see how good of a baker you’ve become over the years!”

“Hi Granny,” I said, my words muffled. I looked away from her. Although I wanted to tell her that I don’t really bake much of anything anymore, I also didn’t want to spoil the mood.

Even if her long, curly grey hair usually drew attention away from it, the thin scar over her left eye was extra noticeable up close. One time, while the three of us were cooking together, I was being an idiot with a knife and it accidentally flew out of my hands. She pushed me out of the way but unfortunately cut herself in the process. I remembered bawling my eyes out, apologizing just about a thousand times for what happened but I got off with some light scolding. She never once blamed me for the incident, only herself.

“Look at how much bigger you’ve gotten!” Her thumb traced over my face a few times before she brushed her hand against my bangs and exposed my forehead. “Your hair too…my goodness. You guys really are growing up."

“You say that every time, though.”

“I got the same spiel too, Shi,” Aya said, patting my back. 

Granny let go as her attention focused on Yuu. “Oh my, there were three after all! What’s your name?”

Yuu only stared blankly in return and leaned forward, her hands tensed. This didn’t last long as when I nudged her, she immediately snapped out of her trance and put a hand on the collar of her shirt again.

“Oh, sorry, I was certain I had seen something. My deepest apologies,” she said as stiff as a board, “My name is Yuu, I’m Shiro’s roommate. It is a pleasure to meet you, Ma’am.”

She grabbed her hand. “No need to be so formal! The pleasure is all mine, Yuu. I do hope my grandaughter and Shiro are treating you well.” Her smile dropped as she let go and faced us,  the excitement she had just a second prior all but faded. “As nice as this all is, I must get back to my search, little ones. This is something very important.”

“What about Shiro, Grandma? You told me to bring her over!” Aya crossed her arms. “This can wait until they’re gone, can’t it?”

She took one last look at the three of us before lowering her gaze and squinting her eyes. Shaking her head, she said, “It just can’t sweetheart, I’m sorry. I promise once I’m done, we can continue things normally.”

Granny turned on her heel to continue her search but slammed her elbow on the table, causing water to spill onto the carpet. She yelped in pain and clutched her arm as Aya came to her aid. 

“Hey now, hey now,” she said, rubbing her back. “Let’s not do any sudden movements like that. You really could get hurt.”

“That’s…not good. I made such a huge mess, I’m so sorry. Now I have to clean this up, find that necklace…talk to Shiro…I have to learn so many new recipes for that shop idea too. So much to do, but only one of me.”

“It’s alright. Not your fault, promise. Let’s get this cleaned up first, alright?” Aya put her grandmother’s uninjured arm over her shoulder and helped her up. As they inched their way to the kitchen, Aya grinned. “Sorry guys, just give us a little bit. We’ll be right back.”

Before I knew it, they had left. 

I looked around the living room—at the chandelier far out of reach on the ceiling, at the larger-than-life bookshelves, and at the paintings of older gentlemen in suits which were all over the walls. The thought that came to mind made me feel like I was being ungrateful yet the only thing in my mind at that moment was…

“This isn’t what I expected at all,” I said with pursed lips.

Yuu raised an eyebrow. “In what way?”

“There’s this weird disconnect between what I remember and what’s in front of my face. The last time I was over was last year and it’s when this weird feeling started. This is the place I remember, yet parts of it feel wrong. I thought Granny being here would change that but…I guess not.” I rubbed my arm as I looked away from her. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to see her more than anything. I think I’m just confused.”

“Perhaps it’s nostalgia, dear. Is it a possibility that the two things making up this ‘disconnect’ are more connected than you’re letting yourself realize? No shame in that, I hear it's quite common nowadays.”

“Maybe. Who knows at this point?”

As embarrassing as it was to admit, an overwhelming disappointment came over me as I looked around the place. Aya’s house was huge, sure, but it was nothing like it was when we were kids. Putting a hand out in front of me and looking in between the cracks of my fingers, the living room only expanded as far as you’d expect. All rooms had already been explored a long time ago, their uncovered stories now a fond distant memory of simpler times. But that was obvious, right? Why wouldn’t that be the case?

The time was 3:28 p.m. I put my hand on the top of one of the swivel chairs as Granny’s voice called out from the kitchen.

“Sorry to bother you two! I left the patio door open, and I’m getting such a nasty chill right now. Could one of you be a dear and close it for me?”

Yuu narrowed her eyes. “In…this heat? That’s odd.”

I shrugged and made my way toward the door with Yuu in tow behind me. Down the hall and on my first left was where it stood. Despite the heat, a slight breeze was coming through. Just enough to make you upset. 

My hand crept toward the door as my heart suddenly began to race. Thump. Thump. Thump. Just like on that day one month ago. Thump. Thump. Thump. Closer and closer, it seemed the more I inched toward it, the faster it got. My index finger was first to hook around the white handle and a few vibrant purple bubbles the size of a small fly popped out from my fingertips. The others followed suit and the situation only got worse. 

Before we knew it, we were completely surrounded.

Yuu noticed the odd shapes in the air immediately and screamed out, “Shiro, under no circumstances close that door!”

Unfortunately, it was too late.

The door slammed shut not a second later and the lock on the side clicked on its own. Every single bubble popped, dispersing the same misty smoke from a few days ago out into the air. Yuu shoved me aside, crossing her arms together and shielding me until things calmed down. 

The smoke mostly dissolved but some of it circled around our feet. I whipped my head around and that overwhelming disappointment whisked away with it. 

This was it. This was my home away from home—the hallway that once led me in a boring and straight line was now spread out in three separate directions. Left. Right. Straight. They winded and curved as a multitude of doors were placed on every surface. On the ground. The ceiling. Even the walls had doors on them. Placing my hand in front of me once more and seeing not a single end in sight, I was brought back to those simple times that I loved so much. Even though we were indoors, a strong breeze blew my coat and hair to the side.

The only thing that ruined the sight was that disgusting burning smell from earlier that only seemed to get stronger.

“I knew it. I should have mentioned something to her. And now…” Yuu’s voice was gravelly and tired as she kneeled over with her face buried in her hands. “Of course, the one time I actually need Ako here is when she can’t come. The one time I need a navigator. This is a cruel twist of fate…”

“Navigator?” I poked at my head a few times. “Last time I saw her, she was taking up too much space in my head, what happened? 

“I didn’t think it was fair for her to spy the way she was, so I ended up telling, “ she paused and looked away, “someone of higher authority.”

“You can speak to high-tier angels?!”

“Oh no, I told my Mom and she restricted the time she’s allowed to be in there,” she said, waving her hand back and forth. 

So she told on her.

Yuu stood up and took a deep breath before dusting her jeans off.  “Ako is a Seeker Angel. They are able to walk into Apparition’s warp in reality—or ‘Labyrinths’ for short—as they please and appear invisible to the people who create them if they choose to be. They aren’t strong like a Guardian, but they are perfect for gathering intel and acting as a guide for the hellish places we find ourselves in.” 

“Apparitions again? Why are you talking about that stuff again? This isn’t one of them, right?” I asked, fully knowing the answer.

“Shiro…I understand this is hard to hear, but this place is dangerous. Aside from some sort of breaking point being reached, a Labyrinth’s only other condition is that it must be within a closed space.” She took a few steps in front of me and stood in the center point of the three hallways. “We’re completely and utterly trapped off from the others.”

“I knew this place like the back of my hand…for it to be as bad as you say, it’s just not something I can accept. Aya and I played here all the time.”

“You know not what you speak of—” Yuu perked up and put both hands on my shoulders. “Wait, you’ve been in here before?”

“Yeah, all the time when we were little.” I puffed my chest out. “You’re looking at the undefeated hide-and-seek champion. I found Aya every single time. Don’t ask her about it though.”

Her eyes darted all over the place before pointing to the third door on her right. “What’s in there?”

“Master bedroom.”

Then to the door hanging on the wall beside a large painting. “And that one?”

“One half is the kitchen, the other has a TV in it. It’s kinda a weird mix.”

Finally, she pointed to the door that was upside down on the ceiling that swung from the side. “That one, where does that lead, Shiro?”

I gave myself a few seconds to think before answering. “Ah, we were so small so it was hard to get up there but, I think that room belonged to Aya’s sister.”

Upon giving my answer, Yuu put her head in between her index finger and thumb as she began to mutter to herself.

“Let’s see here…she’s an older woman so that means she’s dealt with this for quite a while.” She bit her thumb as her eyes drifted to me. “Judging from that and the fact that nothing is attacking straight off the bat, could it be that this Labyrinth is more under control than first thought? This should be an experience—yeah, a nice learning experience.”

Yuu turned to me, her eyes fierce with determination. She grabbed both of my hands and clasped them together as hard as she could, pulling me close to her. “I promise you not a single hair will be harmed on that head of yours, so allow me to ask this utterly selfish wish of mine.”

“Go ahead. I’m all ears.”

“Just for now, just until we get out of this place, please act as my Seeker. Your safety will be my top priority.”

“And what about you?”

“Well, I have no worries about my own. It was you who said I was strong, remember? Think of it as an opportunity for me to finally show off.”

“So confident,” I shook my head with a laugh. “Can’t say I don’t like it. The answer’s yes.”

The time was now 3:33 p.m., and it was there where it would stay. For when the duo of the pseudo-Seeker Shiro Hoshino and Guardian Angel Yuu Tsubasa embarked upon their first Apparition Labyrinth, nothing could have prepared me for what was to come.

0