005: The Hopeless Sorceress Vs. Silver Chest
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“How can she appear here-“Said Oyen. He pointed at the old woman who stood among the crowd. There was no guilt, anxiety nor worry in her face. It was the same expression she always wore. Calm and tranquil.

“In that ugly nightgown and hideous cloak?” Said Mia. She wiped her tears with her cloak.

“Mia, that is not the main point here! Isn’t she’s supposed to be dead?!” Oyen snapped, tempted to jump and bit that old woman.

“Even in the time of death, one should always dress their best,” Mia repeated her Master’s word. It was a life commandment practiced by the Dendragon’s

“Mia! She sold us out! She betrayed us! And here you are, riding your broom with your ruffled hair and yet concerned about someone’s look! And was she dead? No! She’s alive!” Oyen snapped. He had enough of her nonsense and concerned over fashion.

“Then, what am I supposed to do, Oyen? Go down there and offer my life?? Praised her for her look??” Said Mia.

“Well, err-“ Oyen pondered for a while but he was lost for word. “Go on, continue mocking her.”

“That Celeste! Edgar trusted her! I can’t believe I ate all those puddings and cake she made. Oh, pumpkin! Pudding!” Mia cursed at Celeste.

“Damn old woman,” Oyen added.

“…Bad…g’andma…” Muttered Baddie.

“Good Baddie! She’s a bad grandma!” Mia snapped.

“We better leave before she sees us, Mia.” Said Oyen.

Mia jerked her broom and zoomed away, flying across the pine forest and off to the sea. Her cloak fluttered against the wild wind.

The cold autumn breeze crept to their bones and sent shivers down their spines.

Under the starry sky, a sorceress, a cat and a monster under the bed flew in the company of the eclipse.

“Left… ‘ight… Left… Down… Down… Down…” Said Baddie. Despite rarely leaving his spot, he was an excellent navigator. He never forgot places and directions, no matter how many times they changed course. It was the only thing he was good at, second to his crying.

They hovered down the cliff by the sea and hovered by the edge of the cliff. The broom floated still at the narrow entrance of a small cave. There was almost no space to stand. Oyen leaped and landed on the ground, followed by Baddie who floated into the cave. The broom lowered and approached the narrow entrance. Mia extended her leg to the ground and made a dangerous landing.

The spot was narrow and the night was dark. Mia tripped on the ground and almost fell from the high cliff. Frustrated, she kicked the stone that attempted murder on her.

The ocean waves and surf splashed up against the rock at the bottom of the cliff. The wind whistled through the crack and gaps in the wall, haunting the cliff with an eerie sound. The faint song of the siren echoed in the chill night, luring the fisherman to their cave. In the distance, the lighthouse shone, guiding the lost boat back to their port.

Mia set up protective barriers before she stumped to the ground. She pulled her knees together. Tears rolled down her face. Oyen walked over and warmed her leg. Baddie grabbed her neck and hung to her back. A habit he couldn’t get rid of when he was afraid.

In that cold and dark night, the sound of her crying petrified the ghoul and infuriated him. Who dares to rob him of his career? The ghoul wailed and Mia sobbed louder. Baddie too had joined the duel. After an hour of wailing, sobbing, and crying, Oyen lost his patience. He threatened to throw everyone out of the cave. Do they want to compete with the sirens down the cliff too?

It was the longest night she ever had.

As dawn descended upon the dark sky, the warm sun found its way inside the cave. Mia sat by the entrance, leaning against the wall. Oyen walked over and stood next to her, licking his furs.

“What now?” He asked.

“I don’t know, Oyen.” Said Mia. Her hand moved to the Charm bracelet, still shining like it always had.

“Should we go back?” Oyen asked again

“You are just like Master,” Mia smiled, she nudged his head with her finger. Despite her teasing, she couldn’t hide the sadness and worries in her voice. “Half of your life spent on your furs.”

“And how does that make me similar to him?” Oyen glanced at her. He looked irritated at her morning mocking.

“Do you know Master spent hours every morning and every night just to fix his hair?” Mia unconsciously brushed her fingers against her shoulder-length hair. Her heart chanted a beauty spell she learned from her Master. “No amount of spells are enough to make him beautiful.”

“A narcissist like him, I wouldn’t be surprised. Look what he turned you to. A narcissist, self-proclaimed beauty.” Oyen smirked at Mia.

“It’s called inheritance, Oyen. I got it from him.” Mia looked at the cloud. Her red swollen eyes filled with fears.

“If only you inherited half of his brain, you won’t be as miserable as you are today,” Oyen rolled to her side and sat on her lap. He muttered as he purred. “The hopeless sorcerer’s apprentice.”

Their morning banter was soon replaced with silence as they gazed at the rising sun. Worries found its way creeping back to her head. Defeated, Mia hopped on the broom.

They flew back to the cottage, hoping to see their Master waiting for them. She was eager to hear that fierce voice once again.

But what greeted them that morning wasn’t their Master. Instead, more disappointment.

The cottage that once stood proud in the little island reduced to nothing more but a pile of ash and waste. Smoke rose from the burnt pillar. Gray ashes scattered where they stepped. The Shrieking Stone Lady can no longer shriek or weep. She was just a stone statue.

Baddie froze at one corner and sobbed. He pulled out a piece of burnt wood and hold it dearly.

“It’s alright Baddie. It’s only a cottage. We’ll get you a new bed,” Mia said to Baddie, who was mourning over the remnant of the cottage. Baddie nodded, although he was reluctant to leave from what he thought a bed frame.

“Mia, come here,” Oyen called her over. He dug the ground near the woodshed. “Do you know Master hide something in here?”

Mia rushed over to the woodshed. How could she never notice it before? There was a barren spot on the ground, next to the Creeping Ivy on the wall. A huge pot of Emberflower covered the spot. This was where her master stood almost every night as he plotted the stars.

She dragged the huge pot to the side and dug the ground with a shovel. Yes, there was something buried in here. Mia was dying with curiosity to know. The shovel made a loud clang noise when it hit the silver chest. As her patience grew thin, Mia added more strength to her effort.

“Almost there, Mia. I can see it. Something shiny.” Said Oyen, who lost his patience minutes ago. He dug the ground with his tiny paws, ignoring the dirt that smeared his shiny furs.

Clang!

The shovel hit the shiny chest again. Mia threw away the shovel and dug with her bare hands.

After what seemed to be hours of digging, she finally dug out the silver chest.

“It’s locked.” Oyen rubbed the chest with his paws, studying the dragon-shaped lock at the front of the chest.

It was big enough to fit five or six cats inside. Hand-carved dragon patterns and rare gems decorated the silver chest. It was the symbol of the power of the Dendragon’s.

It was a simple statement; It wouldn’t belong to a Dendragon’s if it wasn’t luxurious and eye-catching.

“Whatever inside, it must be a precious treasure,” Said Mia. She signaled the others to stand behind her and took out her wand. She lifted her wand and cast a spell.

“Leviiseo!”

A red light came out from her wand and shoot straight at the lock. The silver chest sprung against the wall, but the lock remained tight. She repeated the same spell, but the lock didn’t loosen a bit.

“Try another spell,” Said Oyen.

“Expem!”

The silver chest shined brighter than before when the red light hit the chest. The dirt and soil disappeared from its surface.

“…Cleaning.. Spell…” Baddie muttered.

“Ignitio!”

A round, radiance light illuminated from the edge of the wand, like a torch.

“That’s err… To light the dark.” Oyen murmured, almost scared to face Mia whose face turned red.

“Liberior!”

Another streak of light came out from the wand and hit the chest. The chest stood unmoved, not bothered by her spell.

“That’s a-“ Said Oyen, who looked ashamed at her proficiency at spells. He looked around, making sure no one saw her making fools of herself.

“Enough!!” Mia roared. She picked the chest and smashed it to the ground. The silver chest refused to admit defeat. She smashed it against the wall, and at last, picked up the shovel and hit it hard for few times.

An hour passed but the lock didn’t budge at all.

1