Chapter Nineteen
59 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

10 Years Ago

Cross tugged unhappily at his high collared shirt. The clothes were new and still uncomfortably stiff, despite the cost. Cross had trouble comprehending the point of paying for something so constricting. He craned his head up towards Jiana who looked completely at ease in her fine clothes. He eyed the jewel-encrusted sword hanging on her hip with envy.

He tugged at the collar again.

"Cross, do not fidget so much," Jiana said without looking down at him, her eyes staring straight ahead at the imposing mansion ahead. The heels of her boots clicked against the stone walkway, setting a quick tempo that Cross was forced to awkwardly keep up with. He scowled and let his hand drop back down to his side.

"I don't understand why I am here." Cross said as they reached the first gate. A guard waved them through and on towards the mansion proper.

"If you wish to participate as a member of this guild you will have to learn that there is more than just completing jobs. As member of our guild you also serve as a diplomat and recruiter. Finding new members for the guild is just as important as completing the most grand of missions. A guild is only worth the sum of its parts," Jiana said, coming to a stop before the door.

"We're just picking up a replacement. It's not a big deal," Cross muttered. his eyes dropping down the ground. He could feel Jiana turn at stare at him. After a moment she lifted her hand and rested it lightly on his head.

"No one is ever replaced, Cross," she said softly before rapping her knuckles sharply against the door. After a moment the door slid open and a young maid greeted them with a small bow.

"Mistress Jiana, I presume?" she said with a polite smile. "Welcome to the Hart Manor, we have been expecting you. Master Hart is waiting for you in the study, if you would be so kind as to follow me."

Cross lagged a few steps behind Jiana as they were led through the home.

The walls were adorned with large portraits of past family members, their weapons proudly displayed in glass cases below. Cross noted with interest some of the weapons still appeared to be stained with what he would guess was blood.

"Cross," Jiana tutted. He frowned and hurried to her side as the maid ushered them into another large room. A tall, handsome man stood waiting for them, an unlit pipe in his left hand. He was broad shouldered and stood tall enough that Cross had to crane his neck to see his face.

"Well met, Mistress Jiana," he offered his hand. "I am David Ironhart."

"I thank you for you time, Mister Ironhart," Jiana said, taking his hand in a firm shake.

"Please, call me David. There is no need to be so formal." David smiled. He turned his attention down to Cross. "This is one of your guild members?"

"In training," Jiana said, placing a hand on Cross's back. "Despite his age, Cross has already committed to joining the guild. As such we have begun his training early."

"I see." David nodded, still eyeing Cross. "He is gifted, yes?"

"Clairvoyance. He has the Sight."

"Ah, like our dear Queen. Quite a rarity," David said.

"I understand both of your daughter's powers have already manifested as well," Jiana said. "You must be very proud."

"Extremely. Which is why I was very relieved to hear your interest in Alexis. While her sister already decided upon a guild last year, placing Alexis has been rather troublesome. Every day it seems as though another guild falls. Such a problem."

"I can assure you the Sleeping Dragon shall not fall while I am at its head." Jiana said

David regarded her for a moment before smiling. "I am sure you are correct. Please, sit. Ah, Cross, was it?"

Cross nodded.

"If you wish, you may explore the grounds. I'm sure Alexis is somewhere in the gardens. She would be delighted to have someone new to play with."

Cross looked to Jiana for guidance. She gave him a gentle smile and a nod, the latter of which Cross mimicked.

David clapped his hands together. "Wonderful."

xXx

The garden was big. Bigger than Cross has expected. Big enough where after wandering around aimlessly for a few minutes he was quite sure he was lost. If someone had told him this was a garden he would have called them a liar. What had started out as a garden had quickly opened into what looked far more like a forest. Trees rose up around him in every direction, blocking his sight of the manor. Coming to a stop he turned his head one way, then the other but only saw the tree trunks.

"Right, then." He sighed and started to walk again, but something cold pressed against his throat. Without hesitating he threw himself backwards, knocking into whatever was behind him and sending them both sprawling back against the ground. Rolling to his feet he brought up his fists and lowered into a defensive crouch. Across from him his attacker did the same, a polished wooden practice sword held in their hands.

"Oh," Cross said, unimpressed as he took in his attackers appearance. She was a scrawny young girl with long ebony hair and piecing black eyes. A scowl to rival his best was plastered on her face.

"I am Alexis Shadowhart." The girl lowered the sword slightly. "You're a member of the Sleeping Dragon guild? You came with Mistress Jiana?"

Cross shrugged.

"I demand you fight me!" Alexis brought the weapon back up.

"Huh?" Cross said, tilting his head to the side.

"A guild with weak members is not worth joining." Alexis growled. "Prove the worth of your guild. Fight me!"

Cross stared at her for a moment before grinning. He tugged at his uncomfortably stiff collar.

xXx

"You look thoroughly pleased with yourself," Jiana said as Cross pulled himself into the carriage. His new jacket was ripped in multiple places, his right eye was already beginning to blacken, and his lip had yet to stop bleeding. "Would you like to explain what happened to me?"

"Whoever taught the girl is good." He looked over at Jiana and grinned. "But you are better."

"Do tell." Jiana said, sitting back against the cushioned seat.

"She telegraphs her attacks and favors her right side. Her footwork is clean, but she fights too rigid. She's fast, but gets stuck in rhythms and can't break them without exposing herself." Cross listed off smugly. "And she gets mad easily, then she gets reckless."

"I take it that is where the black eye came from," Jiana said.

Cross shrugged. "I didn't say she was bad. Just needs more training."

"I'm glad you agree," Jiana said as the door to the carriage opened and Alexis pulled herself in. She didn't look at Cross as she sat down next to him, multiple bruises already forming on her arms and face where they hadn't been covered by bandages. Cross glared at her, but she only stared attentively at Jiana.

"Cross,” Jiana said cheerfully. "Please meet your new guildmate, Alexis Shadowhart. I'm sure you two are going to be the best of friends."

2