Chapter Twenty-Three
48 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Where are you?" Cross murmured as he stared down the empty streets, the low lights from the street lamps bathing everything in a pale orange. It gave Cross a headache. Lifting up a hand, he pressed against his temple, begging for guidance. The Void, however, remained silent and unhelpful. Dropping his hand in disgust, Cross continued walking.

"Damnit, Makina," Cross breathed as he quickened his pace, head swiveling side to side for any sign of the brat.

"Having trouble?"

Cross turned his head towards Kosu as she floated effortlessly through the air beside him, lounging on her back with a cheeky smile. Reaching out towards him, she rested her hand on his shoulder and landed lightly on the ground in front of him.

"It's funny, isn't it?" Kosu said as she turned away from him and stared up, towards the sky. "You find magic so distasteful, yet here you are, forced to rely on it. Honestly Cross, you are quite the complex character, aren't you?"

"You know exactly why I don't like magic," Cross said through grit teeth.

"Don't get so caught up in the past, Cross," Kosu said, turning on him with a knowing smile. "Look towards your future. If you can."

"Kosu."

"Don't worry, your little Spirit Goddess is fine. For now.” She reached up and pressed her cold hand against his temple. Cross loathed the fact that he felt relief from her touch.

"I'm jealous, you know," Kosu said, her fingers massaging against his skin. "I wonder... Would you worry this much about me, if I were to disappear? Would you chase after me? Would you call my name?" She dropped her hand back down. "Try again."

Cross stared at her for a moment, then slowly lifted up his hand to his head. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

A sharp jab of pain went through his mind, followed by a flash of images. Opening his eyes, Cross was surprised to find Kosu still waiting for him.

"You know where you must go?" She asked quietly

Cross nodded.

"That's my little Clairvoyant," Kosu touched his cheek softly. "I'm afraid I've used up my time here. I won't be able to help you anymore, so do try and be careful. You've kept me extremely busy these last few days with all the trouble you've been getting into. I wouldn't want such a handsome face to be wasted on death."

"Thank you, Kosu." Cross managed to say, though the words came out with effort. She smiled and took a step back before fading into nothingness.

"You better hurry, Cross." Kosu's voice drifted out as Cross broke into a run.

xXx

Makina sat impatiently on the train, a large hood hanging over her face. She kept her eyes staring diligently out the window, though every time another passenger walked by she couldn't help but tense up.

"Excuse me, Young Miss?"

Makina slowly turned her head and fought to keep her face blank. A female train attendant gave her a warm smile.

"Would you care for a blanket or pillow before we depart?"

"N-no thank you," Makina said, letting out a sigh of relief as the attendant gave her a cheery nod and moved on to the next car. Closing her eyes, she leaned her head against the window.

"Didn't think you'd leave town."

"Cross!" Makina nearly jumped out of skin as Cross slid into the seat across from her.

"Come on, if we leave now we can probably get back before anyone noticed you snuck out."

"I'm not going back," Makina said flatly.

“Yes, you are.” 

“No.”

"Do you even know where you are going?" Cross said, leaning forward and resting his arms on his knees.

"North," Makina said softly, staring down at her feet. "I don't know why, but I know I need to go North."

"North…" Cross repeated before shaking his head. "Makina, you can't leave. Not alone."

"My family is in danger. My brothers and sisters need me," Makina said determinedly, though her voice wavered ever so slightly. "I will not go back."

"Even if you did find them, you couldn't do anything."

"Then help me!" Makina cried, looking up at him. A few stray tears broke free and ran down her cheeks.

"Do you even know what North is?" Cross asked. "It's the Kingdom of Ash. Their King is known for being sympathetic to the Sons."

"Then that's where they must be holding them." Makina wiped a hand across her face and tried to compose herself. "I'm going."

"It's dangerous."

"What would you do if they took one of your guildmates. If they took Lexi or Jiana?" When Cross hesitated, Makina shook her head. "You will help me, or I will go alone."

"Makina please, just come back home with me." Cross reached for her. "We can talk this out with the Mistress. I promise I'll support you, but we can't just go alone."

"I said I'm not going back!" Makina shouted, throwing both her hands towards Cross.

A gust of frigid wind lifted Cross up and slammed him against the padded chair behind him. Falling forwards, he caught himself and stared at Makina.

"You are my servant. You will listen to me." Makina stood up, leveling a hand at him, though it shook violently. Tears began to freely stream down her cheeks as her hand began to lower. "Please. Cross, they're my family."

Cross felt his stomach wrench.

"I can't believe this." Cross sighed as he reached out and took her trembling hand. "Courier Cross, package accepted. Estimated delivery time: unknown and probably impossible."

"What are you-" Makina stared down at their joined hands, calming for a moment.

"We have a contract now. I'll take you wherever you need to go," Cross said, dropping Makina's hand and leaning back in his seat. "So. Lead the way, little Goddess."

xXx

Lexi spun Nightmare around, letting the blade shift effortlessly from one hand to the other as she danced around the training room. Sweat beaded on her skin as she increased the speed of her movements. The air hissed around Nightmare as she spun and thrust the weapon with deadly precision. Sliding back to dodge an imaginary attack, she flipped backwards and landed on one knee with Nightmare thrust out. Tendrils of shadow erupted from the blade, spearing out in every direction before disappearing into nothingness. Gasping, Lexi fell forward, just barely able to catch herself before she crashed into the ground as the magic overloaded her already taxed muscles.

"Well that was impressive."

Lexi turned her head towards the door where Servilia was standing. Despite the early hour she was impeccably dressed, with her hair done in a delicate braid and a cup of steaming tea in one hand and a tall glass of some pink juice in the other. Stepping forward she offered the glass to Lexi.

Lexi took it with a small nod, her chest still heaving from the session. Adjusting her scarf, she lifted the glass to her lips and took a long sip. It was sweet, tangy, and blessedly cold.

"You've been in here longer than usual," Servilia said as Lexi drained the rest of her drink. Putting down the glass, Lexi carefully returned Nightmare to its sheath.

"I was supposed to spar with Cross this morning, but he didn't answer when I knocked on his door," Lexi replied. "I was hoping he would show up."

"That's interesting, I just went to check on Makina and she didn't answer either…" Servilia said thoughtfully. Lexi's eyes widened and Servilia let out a deep sigh as she lifted a hand to her eyes. "Oh, please tell me they didn't."

2