Chapter Twenty-Five
52 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Cross?" Makina said quietly, drawing Cross's attention from the window. It was the first thing she had uttered in hours, an astounding record for Makina. Cross shifted in his seat, taking a moment to stretch out his shoulders and back.

"Yeah?"

Makina frowned. "You mentioned a kingdom in the north earlier?"

" Ash. The Kingdom of Ash."

"Ash?" Makina shook her head back and forth. "I am not familiar with that Kingdom. I know of this one, Voy. I am sure of that. And the neighboring Kingdoms of Dumas and… and…"

"Gorin and Romiatii?" Cross supplied.

"Yes, those! But I am sure I have never heard of Ash."

Cross stared at her for a long time, Kosu's words echoing through his mind. Leaning forward he rested his chin against his hand. "You really are a Spirit Goddess, aren't you?"

"Of course I am!" Makina bristled. "Do not try and change the subject!"

Cross sighed and leaned back. "You've heard of Trinst, then?"

"Trinst… Yes, I recognize that name."

"That's the Kingdom of Ash," Cross said, turning to stare out the window. The sun was slowly rising over the horizon, sending rays of fiery orange streaking through the clouds.

"I don't understand. Why do you call it Ash?"

"Because it was burned. The entire country was set alight," Cross said softly. “Not just the cities. The forests, the river and the lakes. Everything.”

What happened?" Makina leaned forward, her eyes widening.

"Jerrah." Cross glanced at her. "You know him too?"

Makina furrowed her brow. "No but… the name feels familiar and… tainted?"

"Close enough," Cross sighed. "Jerrah burned the entire country to the ground over the course of a month. The fires continued to burn for over a decade after. When they finally were extinguished, the country was nothing but ash. The entire royal family was slaughtered by Jerrah, personally, publically, slowly. They probably got off easiest. Jerrah used to avoid killing entire families so someone would be left to suffer and to spread his name." Cross shook his head. "Eventually, a new house took over the throne. That was about a century ago, but they still haven't recovered. Probably would have been invaded if they weren't already in ruins."

"This Jerrah must have had an impressive army to achieve such a feat," Makina said with a frown. "Which Kingdom did he hail from?"

"None.""

“What?”

“He did it alone."

"That's not possible. No mortal could have that much power."

"Maybe one of you gods should have told him that, then," Cross said, leaning back in his seat and resting his forehead against the cold window. "Ash wasn't too sad when the magic reserves started to run dry. The Sons have pretty strong support there. The current King is sympathetic to their cause, as are a good portion of the people. Not really any surprises there, though. It may have been a long time ago, but people don't forget."

Makina was silent for a moment.

"What happened to Jerrah?"

"He was killed. The details are a bit murky, but the Monarchs of Voy and Dumas were there, along with a lot of noble families." Cross closed his eyes. "A lot of people died to stop him. It makes you wonder."

"Wonder what?"

Cross opened one eye and stared at Makina for a long moment. "If this world actually is better off without magic."

Makina didn't speak again until they reached their destination. Following Cross off the train she reached out and tugged on his sleeve. Cross looked over his shoulder.

"Yeah?"

"Ash cannot be reached by train?"

"It's across the water," Cross said as they exited the station. The smell of the ocean filled his nostrils as soon as the doors opened and he took in a deep breath before hailing a stagecoach. Helping Makina step up into the carriage, he tossed the driver a few coins and gave their destination.

It was a short ride to the harbor.

Hopping out of the carriage ahead of Cross, Makina bounded through the people until she reached the edge of the pier. Cross followed after her at a much slower pace, stopping a few paces behind her, watching the cool, ocean breeze tug at her clothes. She turned to face him.

"We're close," she said softly, lifting up a hand and pointing to the landmass off in the distance. "There."

Cross lifted his eyes and stared out across the ocean. He felt a small pressure form in his head. He reached up and touched his temple gently. "The ferry to Ash should be leaving pretty soon. Come on."

xXx

"So what exactly is the plan when we find the little miss and Crosser?" Romeo said as he stretched out across an entire row of seats, leaving the other side of the table for Banksy and Lexi.

"We bring them back," Lexi said.

"Yeah, about that." Romeo ran a hand through his hair. "See, I get Makina running away. She's been pretty upset lately."

"Has she?" Banksy asked.

"Of course she has," Romeo snorted. "You would know if you weren't busy being a shut in."

"Ah, go to hell." Banksy hissed before being silenced by a glare from Lexi.

"As I was saying." Romeo cleared his throat dramatically, "I get Makina leaving, but why did Cross go with her? It's not his style. He’s… kind of lazy."

"They might have been captured?" Banksy offered.

"Doubt it." Romeo said punching the air. "Cross isn't the greatest fighter, but he'd raise some hell before getting caught. Plus, the guards are on high alert watching who enters and leaves the city now. Even if more Sons got in somehow, no way they would be able to get out with Makina and Cross. Though I guess once they left the city they could have been captured."

"I'm sure Cross has a good reason for leaving without bothering to inform any of us about his whereabouts." Lexi cut in, silencing both of the boys. “A very good reason.”

Banksy and Romeo exchanged nervous glances.

"You know Lexi… the way you said that." Banksy gave her a weak smile. "It sounds like something bad might happen if Cross doesn't have a good reason."

Lexi stared at Banksy for a moment before slowly blinking and turning her head towards the window.

The remainder of the trip was made in silence.

2