Chapter Twenty-Nine
53 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the barest of glances Cross and Lexi surged into action. Whipping his arm up Cross fired off a flashbang, the action covering the trio of knives that Lexi launched. The giant did not so much as flinch as the explosion went off in front of his face. There was a series of plinks as the knives connected with his armor and simply bounced off.

"Try this then!" Romeo launched a pair of bombs into the air.

The chain hissed through the air and knocked both of the explosives to the side. The room shook as they impacted with the wall and detonated. Romeo's shoulders slumped as the Son turned his head to stare at him.

"I really thought that was going to work," Romeo mused softly to himself before jumping back as the chain came hurtling towards him.

"Don't stop moving!" Lexi shouted as she rushed to the giant's left. "Banksy, keep Makina back!"

Cross moved with Lexi, taking off to the right. Deftly he loaded another cartridge and fired it off. Just as before the Son seemed to pay no mind to the bright flash of light, his head swiveling from one side to the other to keep them all within his sight.

"Right, then," Cross muttered as he scooped a sword from the ground. He felt Lexi's gaze and nodded. Pivoting, he charged towards the Son.

They would catch him in a pincer attack.

At least the had been the plan.

The Son moved with speed that belied his massive frame. In a single bound he advanced on Lexi, bringing the claymore arcing down towards her. Quick on the uptake, Lexi hopped to the side and thrust forward with her own blade. Nightmare slammed against his chest before sliding off and to the side, unable to penetrate the thick armor. A small growl escaped Lexi's lips as she hopped backwards, avoiding a horizontal slash. Her sword swung up and met the Son's.

His strength was incredible. Tremors shook down her arms and her feet slid along the ground, but she managed to hold. Pushing forward she readied for the next attack when the Son abruptly spun away, dashing past Cross and straight at Romeo.

The chain came whipping forward and cracked Romeo hard in the chest before he could even think to dodge. His mouth opened as the air in his lung was forcefully expelled and something cracked loudly inside him. He managed to stay on his feet a moment longer before his eyes rolled into his head and he dropped face first to the ground.

"Romeo!"

The Son continued with his momentum, spinning around and allowing the chain to fly towards a charging Lexi. Unable to change her course she was forced to jump, cartwheeling through the air. The chain passed beneath her, so close to her face she could hear it hiss through the air.

She landed lightly, sword coming up defensively, but the Son did not come after her, instead continuing on towards Cross.

The chain had gained enough momentum that Cross was having trouble following its movements. He hastily took a step back, ducking low to protect his head, but the Son read his movement. Cross's eyes widened in shock and pain as the chain wrapped around his right leg.

"Oh," Cross had time to mutter before his feet were pulled out from under him. The sword slipped from his fingers as he was slammed against the unforgiving ground and pulled forward.

"Cross!" Lexi dashed forward as the Son brought his sword down on Cross.

She wouldn't make it.

No.

She would make it.

She had to.

Lexi was so hyper focused on the sword she did not notice the subtle shift in the Son's weight. It was only through years of training, hours upon hours of drilling, and maybe a touch of luck, that she was able to bring Nightmare up as the Son pivoted in place and swung his sword at her.

Steel slammed against steel and Lexi was lifted from her feet and sent flying back, her small frame crashing against the wall. Her head cracked loudly against stone and she stumbled forward. For a moment she stayed on her feet, taking a half step back towards the battle, before dropping to the ground.

Behind the Son, Cross began to struggle to his feet. The chain clanked loudly with his movement. Without looking back at him the Son yanked hard on the chain. Cross was pulled forward, then back as the Son spun around. With nothing to hold onto, Cross was forced into the air, his body going limp as the Son spun him around and around in the air before slamming him down.

A scream ripped out of Cross's throat as his left arm impacted with the ground. His forearm snapped like a dry twig. His vision went dark for a moment before he came rushing back to reality. He was slammed against the ground a second, then a third time. The fourth time he felt nothing.

Someone called his name, but he couldn't tell who, or even which direction it come from. His world was nothing but stars.

The chain, so tight around his leg, abruptly went slack and Cross was sent hurtling through the air.

"Cross!"

Lexi dove into the air, her body colliding with Cross's only moments before his head hit the wall.

They crashed hard against the ground, tumbling end over end. Without so much as a thought Cross pulled Lexi tight against his chest, his good arm coming up to guard her head as they rolled across the ground.

"Got you," Lexi breathed as they came to a stop.

Cross said nothing, his only focus only trying to get any amount of air into his lungs. Tilting his head up he watched as the goliath slowly turned to face them. The chain clanged horribly against the ground as he spun it around and around, advancing on them.

"We need to move," Lexi mumbled against his chest, her eyes screwed shut. She pushed herself up half an inch before collapsing against him. "We have to."

Cross agreed, but it was clear that moving was all but out of the question. He tried to force himself up, but only succeeded in falling back against the floor. His vision went completely black. The sound of Lexi's ragged breath melded with the whirling of the chain and the heavy footfalls of their impending death.

"I told your friends!" Romeo's voice echoed through the room as he launched himself onto the Son's back. He looped his bomb belt around the man's neck and pulled tight, the leather taunt around his hands. Pressing his knees against the Son's back he pulled with all his might, teeth bared. "Turn your back on me and you won't live to regret it! I. Am Lovejoy!"

The chain came whipping around and cracked Romeo in the side. He groaned, but did not relinquish his grasp, arching his back and pulling the leather strap even tighter.

Again the chain came around. Blood burst from Romeo's back, but he did not relent. A smile came to his face, blood dripping from his mouth as he shook his head.

The claymore clattered to the floor and the Son staggered forward, coming down to one knee. Blindly he reached behind him, his fingers finding Romeo. He gripped him tightly, his armored fingers digging into Romeo's flesh.

"No. You. Don't!" Romeo tried to twist his body away, but it was too late.

The Son wrenched his hand back and Romeo was pulled free. Despite losing his position he did not let go of the belt. As he slammed to the ground in front of the Son, he crossed his arms, pulling the belt tight across the Son's throat.

It was a futile effort as the Son reached forward and wrapped his own fingers around Romeo's neck. Returning to his full height he lifted Romeo from the ground. Romeo's grip grew slack after a moment more of struggle and he let go of the belt, leaving it dangling on the Son's neck, as his arms fell down to his side.

"Futile."

"Maybe," Romeo choked out, his mouth forming a bloody grin. He lifted his arm up and opened his hand, letting a series of small metal pins fall to the floor. "Not."

The bomb belt detonated.

Romeo and the Son were forcefully thrown apart as the Son's head was enveloped in a large explosion.

Romeo landed a considerable distance away and did not rise again.

The Son, though unsteady, remained on his feet. Slowly he turned to face Banksy. His helmet, now more a charred piece of slag, hung haphazardly on his bloodied head, but his eyes remained focused. He pulled the piece of useless metal free from his scalp and let it clatter to the floor.

"Oh, come on, just die!" Banksy said as the Son took an unsteady step towards them.

Banksy pushed Makina back and bent down to pick up a sword. It felt too heavy in his hands. Sweat began to build on his brow, but he held his ground as the monster advanced on him.

Ping

A flashbang detonated against the back of the Son's head and he stumbled a step. His eyes rested on Banksy for a moment longer before he turned back towards Cross.

Just as unsteady as his opponent, if not more so, Cross was on his feet. With his unbroken arm he loaded in another cartridge into his left. Even with a broken arm he could still do this much.

The shot went wide, impacting with the wall with a loud bang. Cross ignored it and began to load another when he faltered, his eyes blinking rapidly. The cartridge slipped from his fingers and he fell back a step, dropping down to one knee. Beside him Lexi did not stir, her face pressed against the floor.

The chain clattered to the ground as the Son walked towards him. Cross pulled another cartridge and managed the reload. His shot again failed to find its target as the Son bent low to retrieve his claymore.

There was time for one more.

At least one more.

Cross swayed from side to side as he loaded in the final cartridge. Using both arms for support, he took aim. The Son was only a step away.

He wouldn't miss.

The flashbang traveled a beeline towards the Son's face. Unable, or unwilling, to accept yet another painful explosion, he swung the claymore up to deflect the small ordinance.

It was the moment Lexi had been waiting for as she launched up from the ground, sword outstretched. The blade passed cleanly through the Son's now uncovered throat, bursting out the back of his neck with a small shower of blood. A look of surprise flashed across his face as he looked down at Lexi.

She did not give him so much as a second glance as she ripped Nightmare free. His body stayed standing for a moment longer before collapsing to the ground with a great thud.

"Good plan," Cross said, voice horse.

Lexi nodded silently, her brow furrowed as she stared down at him. After a long moment she managed to tear her eyes away from his battered form and slowly approached Romeo.

"Romeo!" Banksy called out, the sword still clutched in his hands. "You dead?"

"Yeah," Romeo called back as he forced himself to his feet, accepting a hand up from Lexi. He stumbled towards Banksy and Makina, flashing the latter a smile. "Come on kiddo, smile. I'm pretty sure we just won."

"Oh, not quite." A new voice called out as a well-dressed nobleman leisurely strolled into the room, his cane tapping against the floor with each step. He was flanked by the small contingent of lightly armored Sons, each cradling a crossbow.

2