Chapter Forty
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Avril was already awake as the sun crept up through the skies and the weak light of morning started to stretch its way across the kingdom and through her windows. She cracked open her right eye and glared out the window, regretting her decision to leave the curtains open last night. The ever-ticking clock on the wall told her she still had another hour or so before she actually had to get up and ready for the day. For a while she considered simply staying put, but after a few minutes of impatient fidgeting, she finally pushed the covers away from her body and slipped from the comfortable warmth of her bed. Her restless night had left her exhausted, but she already knew that sleep would not return.

Her nose crinkled as her bare feet touched against the cold stone floors and she quickly shuffled into the bathroom to draw a blissfully hot shower.

She bathed slowly, letting the steaming water and rich perfume of the soap wash away some of her fatigue. Though the water stung against the many small cuts that still had yet to fully heal, she couldn't find it inside herself to care, too enamored with the near forgotten luxury of bathing in water that was more than lukewarm. With a small sigh she cut off the water and retrieved an overly soft towel. As the material brushed against her skin she let out a moan. She had almost forgotten how different things were in the castle.

As she left the bathroom, droplets of water still dripping form her long hair, her eye was compelled to glance at her desk. The small, gilded envelope still sat where she had dropped it last night, the corner of a royal summons inside just peeking out. She had not bothered to fully remove it, knowing full well what it said and who had sent it.

She glanced at the clock again, but time had seemingly slowed down and she still had an excruciatingly long time to wait. Sighing, she dropped in front of her mirror and retrieved her eye patch from a small wooden case. With a practiced movement she pushed up her bangs and fit the cloth over her left eye before letting her dirty-blonde hair fall back into place. Taking a moment to make sure the patch was secure, she turned to the mirror and inspected her appearance. The bags under her eyes she touched up with makeup, but it still did little to conceal her sleep-deprived state. Another few minutes to devoted to setting her hair into a tight braid helped to clean up her appearance, but only by a pathetically marginal amount. She bit her bottom lip in thought before deciding there was nothing more she could do about the matter. Standing up, she moved to her closet and retrieved her uniform.

Despite the fact that the buttons were already spotless, just as she had left them, she took a few minutes to polish them until they shone like gold. Her boots were next, followed by her sidearm. By the time she was done her hands ached, but she was pleased with her results and her entire outfit gleamed as though it were brand new.

Taking in a deep breath she donned her uniform, taking a moment to carefully secure her black shoulder cape onto her left shoulder, making sure it did not impede her ability to draw the weapon that hung loosely from her hip. She gave herself one last go over in the mirror before, content with her appearance, she retrieved the summons with a slightly hesitant hand.

It was amazing how heavy a simple piece of paper could be.

xXx

The Throne Guards stood at attention and crossed their halberds across the door as Avril approached. Her heels clicked loudly against the marble floor as she stopped in front of the guards and gave them a crisp salute.

"Name?" One of the guards growled as he eyed her insignia, not bothering to return the gesture.

"Lieutenant Avril Enna, of the First Powder Regiment," the young lieutenant said to the unblinking guards.

"Business?"

Avril produced the summons and handed it to the guard that had addressed her. "The Queen has requested my presence."

"You are expected," The guard replied tersely after investigating the document and a quick check with the other guard who gave a single nod. He roughly returned the envelope to Avril and took a step to the side in tandem with his partner. Together, they slammed the butt of their weapons on the floor, signaling for heavy locks to be disengaged. From somewhere deep in the walls, a similar noise echoed out in response.

Metal screeched and wood groaned as the large, double doors slowly creaked open. With a nod from the guard, Avril strode inside. Behind her, the heavy doors swung shut and locked back into place.

Giant, mythical beasts carved into the walls lunged towards her as she stepped into the room, trapped in their actions for all of eternity. In her youth, she had spent long hours going over every last detail of the room. Over each and every chiseled tooth, claw, and scale. She had little doubt that she could recreate the entire room from memory if asked. A feat she could likely replicate in most rooms of the castle, and a good portion of surrounding area as well.

Now, however, she didn't even waste a glance at the intricate artwork. Instead, her eyes were firmly fixed to the woman who sat before her; high on a mountain of marble steps and fixed in a throne of gold and silver.

The Seer Queen

The Masked Queen.

Cassandra.

The Queen of Voy.

Avril dropped down to one knee as she reached the base of the throne, her arm crossing in front of her chest. Cassandra stared down at her before, with a small flourish of her hand, bid Avril to rise.

"My Queen," Avril said quietly as she stood at attention, her back set rigidly straight and head held high as she looked up at the white, porcelain mask that hid the Queen's face. It was unnerving to stare into the pitch-black eyeholes of the mask and Avril soon averted her eyes.

"I am glad to see you have returned from you assignment so soon," The Queen began. Her voice carried easily through the empty room and echoed ever so slightly against the high ceilings. Combined with the mask that hid her face, it gave the rather eerie effect of making it as though Cassandra's voice was coming from all directions.

"Thank you, Your Grace. As requested, the rebels have been dealt with and we were able to capture three of their officers alive. Unfortunately, we did lose five of our own during one of the early raids, and three others will need to be reassigned until their injuries have sufficiently healed."

"That is better than I could have expected, given the circumstances. I would expect nothing less from your command," Cassandra said, peering down at Avril as the younger girl blushed slightly from the praise. "I was told you were injured."

"Yes, Your Grace. It was the reason for our delay, " Avril said as she reached up and gently touched the eye patch. A pained look crossed her face, "I assure you, it shall not impede my ability to function as an effective force for you to command."

"I have no doubt,” Cassandra said as she rose from her throne. Like a shadow she descended the steps down to Avril's level. Her long dress flowed out behind her and dragged across the floor with a gentle hiss. Without a word she beckoned Avril to follow her to one of the great windows that was set into the thick, stone walls.

"I trust you remember our last conversation."

Avril nodded. "I do, Your Grace."

"And, I take it, you are aware of the rumors that have been circulating these past few weeks," Cassandra said as she observed the servants working in the garden below.

"If you will forgive me, Your Grace, but I do not believe they can be considered rumors by this point."

"I suppose they cannot…" Cassandra mused before abruptly saying, "You still have family in Dumas, do you not?" Avril did not answer. It was more a statement of fact rather than a question, "Because of this, I'm sure you can understand why, out of the thousands I have at my disposal, you alone have been chosen for this task."

"I believe I do, Your Grace."

Cassandra turned to face Avril and moved unnervingly close. Avril could see her faint reflection on the Queen's mask. She forced her face to remain blank.

"Do you, Avril?" Cassandra's dark eyes bored into Avril from behind the mask, "If you are to fail, the peace that we have worked so hard to uphold will collapse. People will suffer, both here in Voy and in Dumas. My people. Your people. Your family. Everyone. There will not be a person in this world who will not suffer.”

"I will not allow that. " Avril fists clenched and unclenched uselessly as she fought the urge to let her hand rest on the comforting grip of her weapon. “Give me your orders and I swear they will be done.”

Cassandra let out a long sigh and pulled away. Avril let out a breath she didn't realize she had been holding as Cassandra once again turned her eyes to the gardens below. Avril followed her gaze and felt a sudden, almost overpowering urge to be in the thick green canopy of the royal gardens. Alive with the smell of earth and flowers, instead of encased in the castle of steel and stone.

"I never imagined our time would be so limited," Cassandra said after a long time, "Or believed it could ever come to this. Before this development, I hoped... I simply hoped."

"Do you know how long?" Avril asked quietly.

"I cannot say. It could be never, or it could be tomorrow. It is a matter that I cannot see, and I do not know why. I do not even know if others…" Cassandra shook her head, "For that reason, it must be done. As terrible as it is for me to ask this of you."

"It will be done," Avril replied softly.

For a long time, Cassandra went silent. So silent that Avril couldn't even hear the Queen breath.

"I beg your forgiveness. I beg your forgiveness, Avril.” Cassandra's voice slithered out from the mask. So quiet, it was barely a whisper, "This is something never should be asked of you. Something than never be asked of anyone."

"You are my Queen," Avril said, crossing her arm across her chest. There was not a trace of hesitation in her voice. "My life belongs to you, and only you.”

Cassandra stared at Avril before she gave a grave nod produced a small velvet bag. Silently she pressed it in Avril's hands.

"That may be of some use to you." Cassandra said thickly.

"My Queen?" Avril opened the bag before letting out a soft gasp.

"Due to the nature of this task, it may prove… difficult, even among the best of circumstances," Cassandra said. She reached out and gently touched Avril's face, her thumb grazing just below the eye patch. "Upon hearing of your troubles, I had it retrieved from the sanctuary. I can only pray it keeps your safe, or can at least aide you in some small way."

"Your Grace, I cannot accept this. It is a royal treasure, it-" Avril went silent as Cassandra took Avril's hands tightly between her own and stared deep into the younger woman's eye.

"Treasure and riches mean nothing in the end, Avril," Cassandra breathed. "Peace. Peace is worth everything. That is why… why we must be willing to sacrifice to maintain it, no matter the cost. Peace is why I ask this of you. Peace is why you must protect our kingdom. Protect our world."

"I will," Avril vowed as she gripped the Queen's hands firmly, feeling how frail the older woman before her really was. "I swear it, my Queen."

1