Chapter 27: A Lich Should Never Be Underestimated
46 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wow, even I’m moved by such a sad tale, and I know for sure Thomas is indeed a thousand-year-old lich who kills without remorse. Such a sad philosophy but so true. My reincarnation embodies the fact that there is no reason for anything in life. I have no purpose in this world except for sadist-sama’s twisted enjoyment. Haruto lost his buzz of stirring the pot and quietly sat in thought, a stark turn from his earlier bravado. 

Richard was annoyed that Haruto’s spunk was gone, he couldn’t care less about the sob story. Richard’s philosophy was simple. I like to fight, so let's fight. Anything else was just a prelude to fighting, so why not skip it and get to the good stuff? “You just went and killed the boy’s mood. Now how else will we be able to fight” Richard’s comment brought up another question. Why on Earth was someone like Thomas with someone like Haruto? 

William was now 90% sure Thomas wasn’t the lich, but now he feared Haruto may be causing unnecessary trouble for him. “That reminds me, sir Thomas, why do you have such a character in your party, and why do you repeatedly refer to him as a young master?” 

Haruto, who heard his name back in the fold, decided to give up on his great mind erasure plans. He just wanted to end this fiasco so he could go to sleep. Haruto yawned, “Who me? I’m just his glorious master. You could say I, too, am a benefactor. Do not worry about my credentials. I have decided to let everyone go for no cost at all. Thomas and I shall bid everyone adieu and be on our merry way. Come, Thomas, let us return home.”

 Oh, now you wish to leave, but I am not done. You have underestimated me too much. How could I allow this opportunity of freedom to slip by? I admit you are stronger than me, but smarter not in this lifetime. AH great adventurer, how could I continue boring you with my hardships. My relationship with this individual is merely another reminder of the universe we unfortunately inhabit.” Thomas put on a weak face that conveyed he was trying his hardest to look at ease. 

William saw this and began to look more carefully over Haruto. I knew he was a bit eccentric, but what does he plan to do by kidnapping a noble? I need to put him on the right path, he has a lot of potential. Ok, William, take it slow only you understand such youths.

Haruto became annoyed and rolled his eyes “What are you looking at, old man? What business do you have to know about our relationship? No one likes a busybody. You’ll never find a wife if you keep this up.” I've seen your kind back on Earth. I won't go down this path again, best to nip it in the bud.

The child briskly nodded their head in affirmation. 

Even Richard shot a quick glance at William as if Haruto pointed out a problem that had been discussed before. 

“Eh, first off, I’m a young 46. Do not call me an old man, my fellow hot blooded friend. Second, it is the business of all men when their fellow man is in danger, don’t you agree?” Haruto’s double whammies made William really hope Haruto was a bad character. So he could teach this lad a thing or two about respect for Haruto's betterment, of course. 

Haruto scoffed, “I do not agree. What type of bull crap is that? Why is my privacy ignored because your little head runs with an idea when you have no clue what’s going on? 46, ew, you are old enough to be my father. Scurry along old man and remember not to ignore your own problems such as age denial.” I just want to go get some sleep. Why is Thomas drawing this out with his vague words? Is he mad I tried to sell him out? Come on, we just met, no harm, no foul. Haruto shot a quizzical glance at Thomas. 

Once their eyes met, Thomas began exaggeratedly shaking in fear. “My young master is right, perhaps we should leave. I do not wish to cause anyone any more trouble.” Your eccentricism was your downfall.

“No trouble at all, please, I insist.” William pulled up a seat in indignation and sat down, then signaled Richard and the child to sit as well. Old man? Nonsense I just hit my playboy years, I’ll teach this fellow a thing or two about respect.

A warm smile became etched on Thomas’s face.“You are a kind man. I don’t seem to know your name.” 

“Ah, where are my manners? I am William Feniks, leader of the Blue Fire Phoenix Guild. This is Richard the lionheart, the beautiful elf is Rose, the drunkard is Lotor, and finally, this little troublemaker is Ren." William pulled back Ren’s cloak that was covering her face. 

“Ahh, Remsama,” Haruto had an outburst causing everyone to give him strange looks. Wait, don't look at me like that. I'm no lolicon, just a faithful follower.

Thomas had to put in a bunch of effort to not snicker. Now, who is the one with questionable types?

With a hearty laugh, William clasped Thomas’s shoulder. “Eh right, so there you have it, Thomas, my friend. Why don’t you humor us all with the tale of you two meeting?” 

Ah, my purpose for this reincarnation has been found. With Remsama so close, how could I not show off? Clearing his throat, Haruto exclaimed, “Brave adventurers and my good people allow me to weave the tale of how Thomas and my fates intertwined.” Haruto leaped off his seat and prepared to recite his 100% accurate rendition of their coming together with a big smile. “Not long after the young Thomas was abandoned by the crazy old man, he wandered the world's cold, desolate expanse. For weeks this poor hapless useless, weak fool wandered with no goals. After two weeks of wandering, he became exhausted from a lack of nutrients. Thus he became a beggar. 

Unfortunately, the destruction of his kingdom and the village led to an increase of refugees, and no one wished to help the impoverished Thomas. So he continued to wander and continued to pray for a sign, a reason to carry oooon.” Haruto enunciated the word dramatically and put a hand to his head. “He gained no sign. It appeared that the old man was right, there was no purpose and certainly no help. Finally, after a month of wandering, he found a nice cave not too far from here. You all may be acquainted with this cave as it is said to be home to a powerful lich.” Haruto winked at Thomas. “In truth, what if the case was that there is no lich? But certainly, as you all can tell, there is a Thomas.” 

William made a surprised face and became more interested in Haruto’s speech. However, it did not escape him that Haruto was adding a bit of flavor to the story. 

Seeing William’s face, Haruto brought it home. He pondered, “One must wonder why, through all this time and many a great adventurers have none slain a lich when their names would surely go down in history for doing so.”

 Everyone nodded their heads in agreement. Haruto’s point seemed rather obvious now that he pointed it out. 

Seeing the audience following his thumb. Haruto continued to bait them along, “I will tell you why. It is simple, so simple you will feel dumb if I tell you, so I shall allow a reprieve. Just throw out a guess and save yourself from humiliation.”

 A rather honest looking adventurer stood up from among the crowd, “is it because the lich left?” 

“Ahnt wrong, try again.” Haruto made his best buzzer noise and made an x with his arms. 

A devious person with a bit more street smarts stood up next, “Is it because the lich was already dead, and no one reported it to keep the area clear of noisy people?” 

Haruto tsked, “Ahnt wrong again last try,” another buzzer noise with an x to fit.

 Finally, William made his guess after thinking about it. “I can only assume if the lich were real and someone defeated it, they would tell of their victory. And if the lich did exist then, Thomas would find no refuge in the cave. So are you telling us the lich does not exist? But if that were true, what happened to the people who were attacked and killed?” 

A huge smile became plastered on Haruto’s face like a teacher looking at their prized student graduating, “It’s elementary, my dear William.” 

Oh, no one will get that joke.

Haruto continued,Anyway, you are on the right path. It would make no sense for there to be a lich alive this long without a flood of aspiring adventures testing their mettle. So we can all assume that as of this moment, the lich does not exist. But as William points out, how did all these people die without there being a lich. To answer this question, we merely have to remember the answer from that questionable guy over there.” 

With that, Haruto pointed at the crook sitting in a dark area who quickly made himself smaller to avoid a few people's gazes. “Wouldn’t it be quite easy to do some questionable things in an area that lacked authority. I mean think about it why would more people come to a place where a lich is. And we all know the more people in a place, the more the call for security and order heightens. But since it was so simple for us to understand there was no lich, of course, others would notice too. So how best to hide that fact than to kill a few people here and there then blame it on a lich.”

1