Chapter 31: Calling In Pest Control
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a grand hall, a banquet was being held for the blue fire phoenix guild and the local adventurer association's chairman Requis. Boris was seated at the largest seat due both to his position and overall weight. Unlike everyone else, he had no dishes in front of him, only water. 

Boris beamed, "Gentlemen. I am glad that everyone could make it. I hope to discuss a matter that affects every citizen in my territory, and I fear it may one day affect all Wessex if not solved soon." He looked around at everyone who had gathered. 

William spoke on behalf of his entire group to cut down on misunderstandings. Even he was unable to predict what one of them might say to their pudgy host. Smiling, William replied, "Of course we came, we were hired by you, and you were so gracious with the rewards. I will assume you have called us here to discuss the lich problem. Perhaps you wish to hire more adventurers."

Requis was surprised by William's claim. In between bites of a delicious medium-rare steak, he scoffed, "Nonsense. With you, kids on the case, the lich is no problem at all. Besides, putting in for more adventurers when a guild of your renown is on the case would be bad for the association's image. No, I suspect something a bit more exciting will be discussed tonight." 

Boris smiled at Requis, but the smile became forced when looking at William. He hinted, "Mr.adventurer, I believe you are already aware of the new development. My sources tell me you were present at the tavern incident, though I do not know whether to believe those sources or not. Surely as your client, you would have made an attempt to save me from death if possible."

Damn, I knew I should have silenced that runic knight. I doubt we will be getting paid. William sent a few glances at the rest of his team.

They nodded their heads.

"Cough Cough," Clearing his throat, William admitted, "Eh, you are correct. We did participate in the incident. I will not lie. My guild did not act when you were being attacked. But I assure you it was due to our ignorance of the issue. Though you are a client, we as adventurers will take no part in personal squabbles. You must understand we aren't thugs."

Requis nodded in agreement, "That's right. Boris, if your request is a personal issue, the adventurer's association will take no part in it, nor will we recommend it to adventurers."

Boris forcibly swallowed his anger, "of course, of course, but as I'm sure Mr.adventurer now understands. The issue was not a personal one. The new development is that a rare demihuman of unknown strength is in cahoots with the lich."

Requis finally stopped eating and showed interest. He chuckled, "A rare demihuman you say, and one strong enough to warrant more than just the blue fire phoenix guild. Are you sure this isn't a demon, hehe? I'm sure the church would take care of this problem, free of charge."

Boris's eyes went wide in shock, thinking that his prized possession would be stolen, now that the truth was out. He even thought about trying to kill the people here. But remembering who he was dealing with Boris threw these dreams aside.

William remained cool in reply, "Your horrible sense of humor never changes. I can assure you the boy is no demon and most likely not even a demihuman. But people of his looks are indeed rare on the continent. As far as strength goes, the boy could handle my attacks, and even sent me flying though I never fought at full power."

Richards butted in as he devoured plate after plate of meat as if the food was going somewhere, "Nonsense even if you went full power, that lad would still put up a good fight. I'd say it would only be an unfair fight if we all attacked him at once. If not, he might be able to take two of us on at once. Ahh, I can't wait to fight him again. You think he will come back to the village? Should I just go and drag him out myself? Maybe he'll draw a weapon next time."

Ren also decided to butt in on this important matter, "You were so surprised by his punch you crumpled like paper. HAHA I I I can't think of that scene without laughing!"

Requis was intrigued by Richard's and Ren's comments. "So you are saying this boy is already strong enough to fight you lads, one on one. He must be a genius. Not only did he go toe to toe with William, but you are saying he only used his fists. Who knows how strong he will be once armed." I've been looking for a worthy disciple, human or not. This may be my only chance.

Boris had been greedily licking his lips since the topic turned towards Haruto, but had ultimately remained silent, fearing he would have another slip-up. 

On the other hand, William tried to prevent the overestimation of Haruto's capabilities, "It is true that I underestimated his abilities and was hit. But to say he can handle multiple people is an overstatement. You and I both know Richard that you didn't go all out, and the arrows Rose sent weren't magical or even at 75% of her actual power. Even though the boy is proficient in hand to hand combat, he doesn't seem to have a master, so he is self-taught. I doubt he would be too advanced in a weapon as well at such a young age."

Requis looked as if he came to an understanding. He hummed, "Ah, so this is a quest to nip him in the bud before growing too powerful. The problem Boris is whether the boy is human or demihuman, as we can not put a quest on killing humans; we aren't the assassin's syndicate." The even larger problem is that he is a worthy disciple without a master. How could I let this lard factory kill a prodigy?

Finally, Boris stops licking his pudgy lips. He took on a look of pain. He sighed, "I have the first-hand account of the boy's origins. My guards and I are sure that this boy is not human. You could see it in his eyes, the boy is a rare demihuman of the mythical snake tribe."

Hm, this explains why he is so strong at an early age, and why he doesn't use a weapon. Requis was even more excited to take on such a rare disciple. But he played the part of being ignorant. He gasped, "Impossible no reports shown they still existed. If what you are saying is true, then whoever gets this boy will go down in history. Interesting, interesting, the adventurer's association will accept the request. Any objections, William?"

William was torn on what to do. But after some consideration, he decided to allow the boy to look after himself, "I have no objections. We were planning on withdrawing from the quest anyways. But as a friend, I shall recommend you get concrete evidence the boy is colluding with the lich before sending adventurers after him." Requis is more prone to keep the boy for himself than giving him to Boris. This should be fine. Requis is a better teacher. Perhaps he can set the lad straight.

Requis stared quietly at William as if communicating something. Then a wry smile appeared but disappeared just as quickly. As if he had no other choice, Requis relented, "Fine, we will send recon to ensure the correct information. If you did not drop the quest, I would have been at a loss, but if your guild's prestige is unharmed from our move, we will continue forward."

Boris was pretty salty that the guild he hired was dropping the quest, but he knew this might happen after Alfred's conjecture. Like swatting away a fly, Boris humphed, "Ok, then there is no reason for you to remain here. Adventurer, be on your way immediately. I don't wish for your presence to aggravate the citizens any longer, and of course, there will be no payment."

William only gave Boris a cordial smile, "Of course no payment, needed. We wish you the best of luck in the future." With that, William's companions all got up and began leaving. William gave Requis a half-bow. Rose huffed with disdain, happy to be leaving the pig villa. Ren stuck out her tongue. Lotor poured another cup of ale and carried it with him. Richard stole three steaks off the table before leaving.  

Once William and his compatriots had left, Boris continued and gave more information. "No need for any recon Requis, a royal order has already been passed listing rewards for killing the lich and capturing the boy. If the association waits too long before assigning the quest, I am afraid someone else will come and take all your glory."

Hearing he was on a time limit Requis started moving a lot faster. If my disciple gets captured, you fat pigman, I shall make fresh bacon as his gift for accepting me as his master. Suppressing his emotions, Requis mocked caution, yet hinted towards his motive of claiming glory. "Hmm, you make a fair point, but as William already stated, we aren't mere thugs you can sic on people like rabid dogs. We have rules and guidelines. But to expedite the process, I will go personally and confirm the boy's status. Do you have any idea where the boy is? Of course, I will sign an agreement to not take action with the information you give or gather."

Catching the hint and noticing Requis's excitement, Boris became sure that his plan would work. Things are moving, and soon I will be treated to the most delicious, exquisite mouth-watering meal. Ah, revenge is a dish best served hot. The relaxed Boris threw caution to the wind as he spluttered, "Of course I trust the association's prestige, so no written agreement is needed. The boy is housed with the lich in a cave not too far from town. It will be about a day's journey heading south. Once you confirm everything, I recommend sending back a messenger pigeon to post the quest as early as possible. I must reiterate the royal decree will likely bring some big fish, and capturing a demihuman so rare would give substantial rewards."

Requis laughed at Boris's obvious move. Haha, if the association president was here, he would shake his head with pity. Do you think I care about tarnishing the association's prestige? Nope, but my need for a disciple will make me move like the wind. As if Boris's reminders spurred him on. Requis conceded, "Ok, Ok. You sure know how to entice an old man. I will immediately depart then, please excuse my rudeness." Requis wiped his mouth and quickly ran back to the adventurer HQ to prepare for his journey. 

Boris finished his cup of water and weakly dragged himself back to his chambers with the help of Alfred, who had been quietly listening to the whole exchange. 

Alfred discussed with Boris his thoughts, "It was within my prediction for the blue fire phoenix guild to pull out. Luckily the rumors are true. This Requis is itching to gain merit in the hopes of being transferred out of this dead-end territory. Now all that is left to do is wait, my lord, and allow the results to roll in. But if I may make a health recommendation."

Boris barely raised his hand and declined, "No need Alfred. What I require is revenge. I need revenge like I need water. My appetite will return once I have it. Until then, I shall endure. Quickly go inform Clarence of tonight's proceedings and have him tail Requis. Tell him if things do not head in our favor, he may improvise. Actually, it would be better if you go too."

Alfred helped the pale Boris to bed. He commented, "Normally, I am forbidden from doing such actions. But since your health is affected, an exception can be made. Requis will likely notice the tail, but that will work to my advantage. I will depart after telling Clarence of your instructions and create some evidence on the path Requis shall travel."

As Boris drifted into his painful slumber, he muttered, "And don't forget that one thing." 

Ahh, this is going to be a bit more complicated. Alfred left the room and headed towards Clarence's room.

1