Chapter 34: A Race To The Center Of The Forest
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next night a heroic-looking Requis in flashy leather armor quickly departed from the adventurer’s guild. He ran towards the cave, like the wind, far outpacing the speed of Haruto and Thomas.

 

Back at Boris’s castle, steam thickly clouded Clarence’s room. Down the hall, Alfred was just about finished packing the traps and items required for tailing Requis. It should be about the time Requis will be leaving. That boy needs to hurry up, or he’ll be left. Alfred threw a bag over his shoulder and took long strides towards Clarence’s room. He found the doctor waiting patiently outside the door. With a half-bow, Alfred inquired, “My good doctor, how is the patient looking?”

The doctor was quite cordial to Alfred, returning the half bow. Then giving his analysis, “Well, if there were no complications, Clarence should be coming out of the room shortly. Based on the screaming I believe serum has not killed him, so I would say the operation was a success. I have also taken the initiative and placed the new armor inside his room.” 

Alfred chuckled at the doctor's joke, “Many thanks for bringing a smile to this old face. If you don’t mind myself, for company. I shall wait right here for him.” Alfred stood in front of the door and became silent as a statue. Seeing this, the doctor relaxed, taking the time to clean his glasses, and silence reigned over the hall. 

About 5 mins later, loud sloshing and heavy breathing came from within the room.

The doctor looked up, but Alfred continued staring straight ahead unaffected.  

Inside the room, Clarence stumbled out of the bath as a blistering headache assaulted him. His body felt like someone lit him on fire from the inside. He gritted his teeth to the point of blood coming from his gums and crawled towards his bed. But the pain was too unbearable, so he could only curl up on the ground. 10 minutes passed like 10 years for Clarence, but slowly the heat began to subside. 

Buckets of sweat fell off of Clarence’s body, and hot steam radiated off him. Calming down, Clarence felt his body return to normal. He stood up shakily and noticed an open crate. 

Inside was a sparkling set of magic armor that was leagues above his old one. The armor was emerald in color. Clarence began putting on the armor with glee and found it lighter than his original armor. The runes placed on this one were 100 times more expensive and enhanced than his ruined one. If Clarence had served Boris for 40 years, he would still be unable to afford this armor. Next to the armor was a lime green spear measuring 160 cm, perfect for a one-handed user such as him. Simply marvelous, the spear fits perfectly in my hands as if sculpted specifically for my use.

Grasping the spear, Clarence smiled and made a few strikes causing small explosions. With this, I may just stand a chance against that demihuman filth. After a few more swirls, Clarence began walking towards the door. His heart was beating fast from excitement. He couldn't wait to test his new spear on the peasant doctor. Before he could open the door, his next heartbeat pumped acidic blood through his body, causing him to trip forward. “Ahh,” a weak groan escaped his mouth as the blood corroded his veins. Clarence desperately crawled towards the door for help knocking over chairs in the process. I can't die here. 

Outside, the doctor and Alfred still stood patiently. 

Hearing the sound of movement. The doctor bowed towards Alfred and bid farewell, “It sounds like the new blood is circulating, so he is ready for travel, sir. I pray for your success.” 

Alfred nodded at the doctor, then returned to stillness. He ignored the weak pleadings begging for help from inside the room and just stared straight ahead, slowly counting the time wasted. If you have the strength to groan, boy, you have the strength to walk out here. At this rate, we will have to hurry to catch Requis. 

Back in the room, Clarence was regretting many life decisions. The blood dripping from his gums had begun to erode his teeth and burn his taste buds. His throat felt like it was dissolving, and his brain felt like it was being cooked in a pot of hot water. Clarence wanted to faint, but the pain continuously sobered him up. Each time he moved, a muscle pain similar to a needle stabbing into him appeared. He dragged himself to the door, and once he opened it, all the pain disappeared as if he imagined it all along. In confusion, he mumbled, “Huh, I could have sworn my vessels were being corroded.” 

Seeing Clarence, Alfred paused his counting. “Finally, if you took any longer, I would have left. Move with a purpose we must depart now, or Requis will get too far ahead of us.” Alfred did not wait for a reply and began to take large strides towards exiting the castle. 

Seeing this, Clarence reluctantly followed behind him, and the two made their way towards the forest. 

Alfred walked briskly to the town’s road, moving surprisingly fast just to be walking. Coming to the entrance of the forest, he looked around the ground and shook his head. I should have left the boy. With a frown, Alfred remarked, “Just as I feared Requis has already left some time ago. We part ways here, you hurry and trail him.”

Clarence was upset he didn’t get any time to recuperate. He was incessantly hurried by Alfred just to be abandoned. He snapped, “And what will you do?” 

Alfred looked at Clarence and scoffed, “Just worry about completing your task.” With that, Alfred walked off in a different direction, disappearing into the darkness.

Clarence rubbed his eyes in surprise. Unbelievable, I could follow him in this darkness for a good minute, have those injections really strengthened me. Clarence wanted to further study his body to find the changes but decided to catch up to Requis instead. There are no free meals in this world, especially from that pig. I need to repay him quickly.

Clarence broke into a sprint, moving faster than he had ever moved before. I knew I was stronger, but this is almost magical. Enjoying the sensation of power, Clarence relaxed completely. After running non-stop for four hours, Clarence saw a fire burning intensely in the forest. Seeing this, he slowed his approach and hid. 

Sitting at the fire was Requis, who appeared to be in deep thought. But he stopped thinking and instantly glared in the direction of Clarence. 

Clarence held his breath and tried to camouflage himself in the foliage as best he could. Thankfully this green armor hides me quite well. 

Requis continued staring in the direction of Clarence but became more relaxed. He chuckled, “Come on, out, young man. I could sense you running behind me some time ago. A word of advice from an old man, don’t get too excited when gaining new power.”  

Shit, I was already discovered. Should I back off? No, he’ll notice the moment I begin to retreat and may perceive me as a threat. Clarence rose from the foliage and greeted, “Sorry, my new friend. I am Runic knight Clarence currently serving under Boris. I had come out tonight because a certain old fool had forced an unknown concoction into my veins, and I had confused you for him.”

What a horrible lie, at least act like you are unrelated to Boris. You are basically yelling that you are here under his orders. Requis sighed, “So, Boris sent you? Not surprising. Come sit, I may be able to shed some light on your situation if you are interested.” Requis took a sip out of a bronze flask and smacked a tree stump next to him.

Fuck... Boris will not be pleased that I got caught, but maybe I can salvage the situation. Swallowing his embarrassment, Clarence acted as if he had not heard Requis's question. Instead, he focused on the second part of Requis's sentence, “Then, pardon my intrusion. Please, if possible, help me understand.” Clarence slowly approached the stump and sat near Requis.

Requis chuckled loudly, “Don’t worry, lad, I’ve been examining adventurers since before you could walk.” Requis grabbed hold of Clarence and began feeling around the arms, legs, neck, stomach, and head. As his hands roved, he commented, “Hm not bad, not bad. Pretty rare indeed.”

Clarence became excited when hearing such praise. Something even a veteran adventurer considers not bad must be special. His curiosity sparked Clarence blurted, “What is it?” 

“AH, nothing. You are just in better shape than I thought you would be, for a noble, at least this physique is not bad at all.” Requis continued his "examination," feeling Clarence’s abs and the muscles around his shoulders.

Clarence snapped, “I did not come out here to be molested by an old man!” Clarence was enraged that this “examination” had nothing to do with the injections he had taken. If I wanted an old man to touch my body, I would go to church. 

Requis shrugged as he snickered, “Haha, calm down, boy. I was merely poking some fun. Did you believe that an examiner just uses their hands to check for changes? Nope, all we can tell with that is you work out." Finishing his teasing, Requis's face became more serious, and a thick aura surrounded him. "Now this is how we check” A strong spiritual energy began to invade Clarence’s body, causing him to tense up. Requis warned, “Relax, or this may cause your body damage.” 

Hearing this, Clarence tried his best to remain at ease, allowing the foreign energy to circulate through him. 

Requis focused and lectured, “I see, I see, so you have been injected. Not a bad injection. But I must say injections like these have a chance to stunt your growth. They take out all the hard work and dedication needed to build a firm base. You will have to be careful when progressing, or you may regress instead." Finishing his inspection, noticing the sparkling armor, Requis commented, "The armor you have is top grade. Of course, not at an ancient level, but this is not something an average noble could afford.”

Once again, Clarence became ecstatic and quickly asked, “what injection is it? How much strength will it add? Quickly you must tell me I have an important foe I must face soon.”

Requis looked at Clarence for a moment, perhaps liking Clarence's attitude. He smiled and continued, “Ah, to be young. The injection you have is a mixture of magical beasts blood and some other items to prematurely ignite one’s blood essence. The one you were given was a wyvern’s blood giving you affinity with poison; hence that poisoned imbued short spear you are carrying. I would say currently you are many leagues above the runic knight version of you. What you lack most is experience. Given enough time as the blood settles and circulates, you will rise to the rank of blooded knight at the lowest tier. But to achieve such strength with no base cultivation is quite good, you have jumped from the earth to the moon in one leap, to say the very least.”

Clarence couldn’t help but shed tears of joy. He exclaimed, “AH, I knew god looked out for me. I knew I was chosen for greatness. With this, that demihuman pleb will rue the day he crossed paths with me, Clarence the great wyvern runic knight.”

Requis chuckled and clapped, “You at the very least have the bravado. But even with this strength, you will still be easily defeated. Remember a frog at the bottom of a well. Knows not the wonders of the earth and the height of the heavens.”

Clarence calmed down and looked quizzically at Requis, “You mean to say that this power is insufficient, nothing in your eyes, and not even enough for me to be happy over?” I refuse to believe my defeat is certain. Our difference in power can't be such a gap. 

Requis shook his head and admitted, “No, that power is great. Listen, boy, I have been examining adventurers for decades ranging from greats to failures. There is only one truth. Once one gains power, they can not become complacent. Every novice adventure, once reaching a certain strength, feels like a god amongst men. They are a frog, but listen here and never forget the world is not some well, and some beings can be found that even gods fear. Now I have helped you, free of charge. So go back to your lord and tell him I need no chaperone.” 

Clarence became a bit embarrassed as Requis had helped him, but he needed to complete his mission. “I’m afraid I’ll have to trouble you and follow along.”

Requis only sighed in reply, then tossed some dirt on his fire and began to head towards the cave once more. 

Clarence followed closely behind, feeling a bit awkward.

1