Chapter 41: I Dream Of A Day Where No One Goes To Bed Hungry.
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a bountiful and open plain, a pack of wolves rushed across the land without a care in the world, not even hunting prey, merely playing and running. The pups were healthy. Many were already twice the size that the last generation was at their age. 

A proud Alarik played with his pups. The feisty pups nipped at him and attempted to activate their blood essence. He was filled with joy and for the first time since birth, peace. No one in the pack worried about predators or disease. All enjoyed their time in the sun, something none of them could imagine happening before. Not before their pack-leader had finally reached the pinnacle of all pack-leaders and led them from the bleak forest they were forced to inhabit. Alarik could remember vividly how harsh it was to survive in the forest. He was happy to know the future pack members would never have to go through it. 

He watched on as the elderly wolves who were usually the first to starve, so that the youngest may survive, appear full of health and vigor. Droning on and on about the old days to the pups. He overheard them saying how today’s pups wouldn’t last a day back home, and how the pack used to be stronger. 

Alarik, hearing this, became bitter, he hated being reminded of the past. He turned away from them, looking at his cheery pups instead. Seeing them, he became happier. With a glance around the pack, he looked at each and every wolf. As if savoring this moment like it was his last. Alarik released a gentle sigh. Seeing this, the pups decided to go play somewhere else and allowed their father to rest. 

The sun crawled up Alarik’s fur, warming it, a feeling he had never experienced. The sensation felt foreign but gave him a sense of security, unlike the cold moonlight that always seemed to be foreboding danger or tragedy. The sun and its brilliance appeared to be telling him all his worries were gone, his burden was lifted. 

A beautiful Reika nestled her head into Alarik’s mane. Seeing through Alarik's mind, she comforted, “Those old fools talk as if they enjoyed living so miserably. But you know deep in our hearts, we are all so happy to finally be free. It’s all thanks to you, love.”

Alarik rested his head on Reika’s neck. Modestly he retorted, “No, it is thanks to the entire pack that we could escape. If not for you all, I would be unable to continue. My strength alone is inconsequential when compared to the strength of the pack. Everyone did their part, everyone carried the burden and only by working together as a pack were we able to find such a beautiful home.”

Reika snorted in disbelief, “You always were one to undersell their own value. Who else but you would be strong enough to battle through the shadow bears and single-handedly kill their leader Misha? Who else would be able to fight back those humans who invade our territory without care? Could kill the one who struck down your little brother Randulf? Who else could possibly overpower our dark god that has powers of death and that deadly sound? Only you, Alarik. Only you have the strength to ensure that we live in peace.”

Alarik felt a heat rising in his heart, but his brain threw cold water over it as a slew of fears plagued him, “Do you think I’ll be able to stay here forever, with you forever?”

Reika stopped snuggling him and eyed him, “We both know that is not possible. You have to return to the pack. They need you. I need you. This isn’t....” Before she could finish, her body began to distort as darkness rose from the north. A darkness that sought to consume all. 

Tears pooled up in Alarik’s eyes. “I know this isn’t real. I know I’m too weak to protect you all. I know the pack will never be at peace with me as their leader. I just wanted to enjoy this for a little longer. I’m sorry for being so greedy.”

The fading Reika smiled, saying something to Alarik. Yet before he could hear her, she dissipated. 

The beautiful scenery disappeared. Being replaced by the same old decrepit forest, Alarik had known since birth. Now, however, its ground was littered with the bodies of starved wolves. Shocked, Alarik rushed towards the fallen wolves only to find his pups amongst them. Their bodies were emaciated. Without seeing what happened, he knew how they died. As so many had died. Not through a war with the shadow bears, humans, or even the accursed dark god. Just simple starvation. Death from living, they did not choose to exist or to feel hunger or pain. Yet these things that came with life was what ultimately brought them death.

His legs gave out as he collapsed onto the ground, clawing and clawing until blood flowed from his paws. For hours he clawed until the bottom was so deep he would have to activate his blood essence to escape. Yet he didn’t. Alarik patiently climbed up and up until he slid back down. He continued this until midnight. Finally, enough of the flesh from his paws were gone that his claws could stick deep enough into the soil to exit. 

The sad, desolate moon he had seen since pup-hood mocked his failure and illuminated his suffering. Under the incessant mocking, he began to drag his pack to the hole. Dropping them in one by one. As he approached the final wolf to drag it to the hole, it began twitching. In an unnatural and unholy fashion, its body was raised off the ground.

Alarik was frightened back as he stared into his best friend's hollowed eyes, “What has happened to you, Marrok?”

A sneer appeared on the undead Marrok’s face. “What has happened? Of course, I, like the others in the pack, died. But, unlike them, our god was gracious enough to bring me back. The better question, my old friend, is what has happened to you. Where was our pack-leader when we needed him the most? Huh? Were you that sleepy that you allowed our pack to remain undefended?”

Alarik could only shake his head in denial, “No, no, no, you all should be fine. As long as the pack exists, there is hope.”

Blood began to pool in Marrok’s eyes, trickling down like tears. As if reminiscing, he sighed, “Hope? All we could hope for was a quick death. You were our protector. Where were you, my friend?”

In a sob, Alarik retorted, “Even if I were there, I am too weak to stop this. I do not have the strength you all require of me. I cannot carry this burden alone.”

A black ooze began seeping out of Marrok’s mouth. “That is the role of the pack-leader. You are the one who carries this burden. The burden that is the pack. Only you have the strength to carry this burden Alarik.” 

Alarik became hysterical, backing away in fear as a black ooze bubbled up from the hole he buried his pack in. He sobbed, “Please. I’m begging you. Don’t ask the impossible from me. I can’t be blamed. I tried my hardest to protect you all. What more do you want?”

Marrok began growing in size as dark energy permeated through his fur, dissolving it. His eyes completely black, Marrok spat out the word “Everything.”

The hole exploded, causing dark energy to flood the forest. Normally dark energy was a good thing for creatures like Alarik. But his body was screaming at him to run. Something was wrong, horribly wrong with this energy. Alarik began to run away, leaving Marrok behind, who was still transforming. 

A long alien howl rumbled behind him. Alarik could hear the paws of Marrok chasing quickly behind him. Those paws were not normal, the sound of them hitting the ground shouted unnatural power, the weight behind each step was too much for a wolf of Marrok's size.

Alarik did not want to run. The only thing keeping Alarik from giving up was his instincts yelling to keep moving. His body was moving on its own to preserve itself. But his mind had already been defeated. Without it, his body was unable to move at its full potential. The transformed Marrok drew closer and closer towards Alarik. 

The moon overhead began turning black until the sky became black. Alarik, without his vision, could only focus on his own heavy breath and the sound of impending doom. The silence was maddening. Each breath frayed his mind. Suddenly a long whistle ripped throughout the silence, forcing Alarik to collapse on the ground. A decayed figure floated towards Alarik with a milky aura exposing its body. The being pointed a black staff towards him. 

In fear, Alarik began shaking. He whimpered, “Dark God….”

The creature showed a fiendish grin. Taking pity on the pitiful Alarik, it revealed, “Alarik, you are too weak. But I can offer you the power you desire. Pledge yourself to me, and you shall never have to carry the burden again.”

The promises of strength bounced around in Alarik’s head. But his heart was in protest. Conflicted, Alarik asked, “But what about my pack? They need me. They need their pack-leader.”

A corrupted sun came into being with one flick of the dark god’s staff. It observed the look of astonishment in Alarik's eyes and continued, “You’ve said it yourself. You are too weak to care for them. But under my control, they shall forever be basked in the sun. I can promise you that they will never go to bed hungry. Never fear danger. And never put unwarranted faith into you. All I ask is that you serve.” 

Catching up to the two was a hideous beast. Black energy was piercing its body and dripping from its eyes. The legs appeared to be inverted, bones were poking out from its back. Such a thing was unfit to be alive and likely had no soul. It growled at Alarik, ready to pounce.

With a wave of a hand from the dark god, the beast began to revert to normal.

Alarik watched as the corrupted Marrok returned back into his normal living body. Alarik muttered, “Impossible…”

The dark god smiled, declaring, “Nothing is impossible. Just ask your friend.”

The now living Marrok looked healthy and strong. In a fervor, Marrok affirmed, “He is right, Alarick, I can feel the new strength circulating throughout my body. My friend, just swear your fealty to him, and all of our worries will be gone.”

Indecision flashed in Alarik’s eyes. “But the dark god is said to be pure evil, our ancestors warned of trusting him. It is said he had experimented on them for his pleasures, and that is why we are cursed to starve so quickly.”

Anger shot across the dark god’s eyes, causing some of the life to dissipate from the eyes of Marrok. The god snapped, “Nonsense, I am your creator. I love you. I protect you. Who do you think saved you from being skewered by that human? Your ancestors lie because they are ashamed of betraying me. If you can’t trust me, how about your brother?”

 The wolf who was skewered by Clarence's spear dragged itself from the dark abyss. A gaping hole was still present in its neck, and black blood dripping from the wound staining the ground.

Alarick stared his brother in the eyes, an array of emotions bubbled through him. Yet, as the pack leader, when had he not seen someone die, killed before their time, or murdered in front of loved ones. Was he so special to forsake others just for his brother? Steeling his heart, he questioned, “There are three beliefs that hold the pack together. Trust in the pack. Pride in the pack. Unity in the pack. Randulf, would you wish for me to break them?”

Randulf’s eyes flickered red as blood gushed from a hole. He huffed in derision, “Useless beliefs propagated by the useless ancestors. Those beliefs will not feed the pups. They will not give you strength. They will not avenge my death against that spear-wielding human. And certainly will not revive me. But trusting in our god will.” As if proving his point, the injured Randulf became well before Alarik’s very eyes with the wound closing right up. 

This new Randulf continued to reason, “Brother, you have carried this burden for too long. You blame yourself for my death, but it was my own decision to rush the human, not yours. You blame yourself for mother starving, but our pack has always been starving. How could you possibly change something even father couldn’t? Stop this nonsense, I know you too well. I know you want to accept the lord’s offer. Stop this futile resistance.”

Alarick looked with sorrow upon his little brother. Futile? Were the lives of his brethren worth so little? Alarick countered, “It is not futile. I carry on my words the weight of the pack. The weight of its present and the weight of its future. If I agree, not only will I serve, but so shall every wolf born into our pack.”

Randulf started panting with anger, “then they shall be born into our god's caring arms. Do not be confused, brother. Your agreement is a mere formality. The great lord can easily crush the tribe instead.” The young wolf’s wounds began reopening with the sickening black ooze dripping out.

Finally succumbing to his anger, the dark god waved his staff. Both Randulf and Marrok dissolved into the black ooze. The god revealed, “I had hoped you would willingly submit. But you have chosen the more painful route, your pack shall suffer the consequences.” The black ooze rushed towards Alarick, quickly forcing itself into his mouth.

Alarick struggled futilely as more and more ooze descended upon him until he was lost beneath a sea of ooze. Inside this sea, Alarick felt nothing, neither suffocation nor the pain of failing his pack. Only a certain feeling of tiredness, one that soothed his soul, much like the sun yet different. The sun told him he had completed his duty, but this one told him he no longer had to worry about the pack. I’m so tired. Perhaps it is time for me to sleep.

 As Alarick’s mind began to drift away, his life began to flash before his eyes. Back to the beginning. Back when he was just a small hungry pup looking up to his father, who bravely defended the pack against the invading humans. He remembered the pain of going to sleep hungry, the worried look of his mother. He remembered the old wolves who spoke of a time when the forest was alive with life. He remembered the day his mother lost her warmth, the same day his father had lost his spirit. He remembered being a young male forced to provide for the entire pack when he could barely provide for himself and little brother. 

He remembered the beautiful wolf he saved from a deranged shadow bear. He remembered the best friend who pushed him into talking to the girl when he was too shy. He remembered the day his pups were born into this world and the feeling that told him that he must protect them with his life no matter what. 

All these memories flooded out at once until a beautiful mural of sadness and happiness laid out before him. The memories began to combine until a ball of light exploded not just through the sea of darkness but through the dark god, the entire forest, and the sky. A beautiful sun shined upon the freed Alarick. 

A final memory greeted him, not one he had experienced, but one he hoped he would. It was a beautiful memory in the making. One he may never see, but one that will surely come. Somewhere down the line, his pack would be free. And the day their shackles were gone will be a day remembered for an eternity.

A sharp gaze cemented in Alarick’s eyes. He roared with the confidence and assurance that shook the sky. “I will not abandon my pack. I will save my pack with my own strength, and if I fail, I will pass the torch to my children. I will continue to build the future my father, his father, and his father’s father built.” A deep resounding howl thundered out, one that shook the dream to its core, tearing it apart.

2