Chapter 48: Making Friends In A New World
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The barkeep breathed raggedly for a few seconds until he fully caught his breath. Groggily he stared quizzically at Haruto, “why did you save me?”

Haruto scratched his cheek as his eyes roved around the destroyed tavern, “I seemed to have caused you trouble, old man.” Haruto smiled, extending his hand towards the barkeep.

The barkeep was seemingly a middle-aged chap. He had tired brown eyes that lacked hope. Whether they always appeared like this can be debated, but having bad experiences so recently certainly did not help. For a barkeep, he had large forearms and broad shoulders. However, many in the village sported developed bodies as everything was done by hand. Most of his hair was gone, but what little was left was brownish-gray. His hands had hard calluses but no cuts to speak of. Like many native to Titan, he was taller than those back on earth. Haruto, in comparison, was a few inches shorter. (Note Haruto is 5'7, so basically the height of a child/ young teen. I'm American, so for Americans, the average height is 5'9. The average Titan human stands at 6'0. This does not include demihumans or elves who are typically taller.)

The barkeep studied Haruto for a while then let out a sigh. “The name’s Leonard.” Taking Haruto’s hand, Leonard allowed himself to be hoisted up, somewhat surprised by Haruto's strength. “I thank you for your help, lad, but gods know how much good it will do. My tavern is destroyed. I have no coins to repair it. If it ain’t repaired, I can’t open her for business. If I can’t open her for business, I can’t pay for repairs. It is an endless cycle. Best to just give up.” Leonard brushed the dust off his shabby clothing, walking behind the bar. After rummaging, he returned with a glass container of unopened alcohol.

Thomas gasped, his eyes examining the bottle as if it were a treasure. His adam's apple bobbed up and down in excitement. “Is that true ale 97 from the old empires? I haven’t seen ale like that for over 1,000 years. Ahhh, I remember the strong taste like it was yesterday. Just one bottle goes for 1000s of gold coins. How on Titan did you afford this?”

Leonard winked at him, pleased to meet a man of culture, “You know your ale, young noble. Aye, this ale was brewed by my ancestors and passed down in my family for generations. Just like this tavern. I only thought it would be right for both to meet their ends at the same time.” Leonard popped open the ale freeing a strong aroma that wafted throughout the entire tavern. 

Genki snorted the smell as if frightened it might go to waste, “Ahhh! I got a buzz just smelling the stuff.”

With his usual gentle smile, Kentaro nodded his head approvingly, also savoring the intoxicating fragrance.

Turning a brighter red, as the fumes hit her nostrils, Fumiko stole sideways glances at Haruto.

Thomas held his head high with pride, “Of course you do that's true ale 97. Only the best ale was from my era, and only the best ale crafters existed in my era. From the top of the top comes this brew.”

Haruto felt nauseous smelling such strong booze. He had never been a drinker back on earth. His only memory of drinking was when his father shared some warm sake. Unlike the sake, this booze smelled too strong, like it was trying to kill them before they even got to drink. Ugh, I don’t see what all the fuss is about. 

The proud Thomas, noticing Haruto's nauseated face but wrongly assessing the reason behind it, inquired, “Young master, are you feeling under the weather after being asleep for so long? What to do? It would be best to enjoy the ale now while it is fresh. But, if you are sick, you may not be able to fully appreciate the drink. If only someone knew time magic or healing magic...”

A giant hand slapped both Thomas and Haruto on the back. Genki, with a stupid grin, joked, “Don’t you know? Being drunk is the best remedy when feeling under the weather.”

Pulling out cups and pouring them full, Leonard chuckled, “At least the ale will be shared with true appreciators of ale. The nobles would sip this as if it were a fine wine. But the secret is to knock her back.” 

Grabbing his cup and smelling the ale for a moment, Thomas had a rare instance of a normal non worm-like smile.

Haruto, with his nose covered, eyed the happy Thomas with suspicion, “Can you even enjoy drinks?”

The gleeful Thomas knocked back the cup of ale in one long gulp. Letting out a resounding “Ahhh.” Smugly he proclaimed, “Anything is possible with magic and knowledge, young master. Now go ahead. It is a pity you missed the superior era, but allow this taste of ale to show how high it stood.”

If I drink this, it will be the toad incident all over again. My poor colon can't catch a break. Haruto meekly moved his face towards the cup, but the smell erased any thought of drinking it. Instead, he offered it to the happy going Thomas, “you appear to be happy remembering your past. Here, have mine.”

Thomas felt a warmth in his long corrupted heart. Still believing the early face was due to unrelated causes, Thomas was surprised someone would willingly give up such a good ale. If their positions were reversed, Thomas might be willing to fight to the death than give up his cup. “Young master. I. Well, I don’t know what to say.”

Genki, who drank his cup just as fast as Thomas, sneakily stole a glance over at Haruto and reached for his cup. “If ya don’t want it.” 

Like lightning, Fumiko came down upon Genki knocking him unconscious with her bare fist. She smiled at the bewildered Haruto, “Perhaps it would be more enjoyable if I served it to you.”

Kentaro heartfully chuckled as he watched the show. Slowly he enjoyed his cup, reminiscent of an old man enjoying a cup of beer, not drinking too fast nor too slow.

Leonard was also conservative with his ale. He sipped it tenderly as if the drink held his entire life in its cup. He didn’t want to miss a single drop. 

The relaxed Thomas elbowed Haruto, whispering, “You must have been quite the ladies man back on your world, young master. If I had such techniques, perhaps I would have descendants roaming this world.”

Haruto smiled awkwardly as he had an internal mental breakdown. Oi Oi Oi back on my world, I never had a girlfriend, let alone a girl that was a friend. I can assure you, Thomas, with my technique in its prime, you would still have a grand total of zero descendants. Besides, what's this? I have no recollection of putting the moves on this woman. Haruto attempted to refuse Fumiko's offer, “I’m just not in the mood for drinking at the moment.” 

Kentaro encouraged, “Nonsense. When else does one drink? If not, when you have made new friends. I do not know much about you, Haruto. But I can tell you have a good heart. I am proud to drink with you, my new friend.” 

The usually wormlike Thomas nodded his head candidly agreeing, “Indeed, young master. That lard stopped our first drink. But today, allow me to toast to our fruitful relationship.”

Feeling their good intentions, Haruto was touched. Was Thomas his friend? Who knows? But Haruto was certain he wouldn't have left the forest without finding Thomas first. Haruto confessed, "It's been a while since I made any IRL friends. Though I won't drink, I will gladly accept the feelings behind it."

Thomas remarked, "I do not know this IRL? However, being considered a friend is an experience I have not experienced for some time as well."

Hearing the two were lacking in the friends' department resonated well with Kentaro. With a cough, he admitted, "Excluding my brother and sister, I have no one else to call a friend. Don't worry, my friend. It's not like anyone will force you." Kentaro winked at Fumiko.

Fumiko had stubbornly not started drinking. She was fed up. Why had her brother and Haruto so easily become friends? Seeing Kentaro's wink, a devious smile crept up her face. Grabbing her cup, she placed it firmly to Haruto’s mouth.

Haruto tried to back away, but both Genki and Kentaro held him still laughing as they barely held him down. 

Fumiko giggled at the struggling Haruto. Grabbing his cup, she raised it high, “To new relationships. Kanpai!!!!”

Everyone, except for Haruto, yelled, “kanpai.” Haruto was forced to gulp down the ale as Fumiko poured it down at a fast pace. In actuality, she chugged her cup at an even faster rate. She didn't do the same for him because she was afraid Haruto would choke.

As the poison that almost ended his career through choking flowed down his throat, a fire shot through Haruto’s stomach and pushed everything back up. Haruto struggled hard. Swallowing it back down, Haruto groaned, “Ugh, happy now?” I will never trust these so-called friends again. Only Thomas did not betray me. His loyalty shall be remembered for a... *HICCUP

Genki and Kentaro slapped Haruto on the back, unaware of how close they were to disaster. Satisfied, the two returned to their seats. 

Seeing Haruto's face, Fumiko snorted in laughter. He looked like a cat who just got tricked into taking a bath. His eyes roared with distrust. Catching her breath, she soothed, "Master always said there are three things a man can not turn down. A good drink, a good steak, and a good fight. You've already turned down both the fight and the meal. It's only right that you at least enjoy the drink."

Haruto grumbled internally. 

Finishing his somber cup, Leonard returned to the bleak reality. Seeing the others having fun, he half-smiled at the group, “now we can move on to the cheap stuff, haa.”

Thomas gasped in horror, “Impossible. Would you disgrace such a delicacy with the mud water of this era? I would sooner cut my tongue off.”

Even the now buzzed Genki was reluctant to ruin the delicious taste in his mouth. Moving his tongue around and swishing spit, he grumbled, “I don’t usually say this old man, but perhaps we should drink another time.”

Leonard laughed, “You youngsters still have a lot to learn. My grandfather once said you drink the good stuff first so you can taste it, and the bad stuff later so you can’t.” Pulling out giant wooden cups, Leonard filled them to the brim with cheap beer.

Haruto’s face drained as he saw the beers being poured. Ah, it appears sadist sama is off of vacation.

Fumiko reached for a wooden cup, but Haruto’s hand shot out like lightning grabbing himself one. With reserved sips, he mumbled, “I do not require your help.”

Fumiko pouted being read so easily by Haruto.

Thomas reluctantly took a sip of the beer, and to his surprise, the taste did not assault his palette. Instead, it intermingled, dampening the aftertaste. “Ah, you have much wisdom for a mortal.”

In between gulps of the beer, Leonard remarked, “Of course lad, you are looking at a 30th generation barkeep. All my knowledge is from my ancestors way back when. Haaa shame it will all go to waste.”

Thomas readjusted his opinion of Leonard. No wonder, his lineage reaches back to the age of true glory. This mortal was a national treasure, worthy of his grace. With a resolute face, Thomas proclaimed, “Mortal, henceforth you are under the protection of Thomas, the dark god.”

Leonard tilted his head then chuckled, “Boy, you are already drunk. Hahaha, but I thank you for the protection.”

Genki knocked back his wooden cup of beer. Wiping the foam from his mouth, he began flexing his muscles, “Big sis is right, we have drunken. Now let's fight. How about a competition of strength? You up for it, old man?”

Seeing the size of Genki's arms, Leonard shook his head, immediately raising his cup of beer in defeat, “My only strength is drinking ahaha.”

Disgusted, Thomas turned from the brutish display. Knocking his cup into Leonard’s, Thomas commended, “Rightly said, mortal. I like you more and more by the second.”

Kentaro seeing the provocation, chugged his first cup. After refilling his cup to the brim with beer. He set it down, then he filled Genki’s cup up. The two squared off across the table. Kentaro grinned at Genki. Playfully taunting, “It’s not too late to back down, little brother. Sober or drunk, I will not be bested.”

Genki scoffed in mock anger, “If I were sober, you wouldn’t stand a chance. Perhaps me being drunk will give you a fair enough handicap. Now enough talk.”

The two giants placed their large elbows on the table, beginning a glorious game of drunk arm-wrestling. Both put their all into the battle, as not only would there be bragging rights, but the loser would have to down both cups.

The instant his hand touched Kentaro’s, Genki pushed down with all his power, almost instantly knocking Kentaro’s hand onto the table. Genki strained himself but still mustered a cocky smile, “And so the great Kentaro falls.”

Kentaro, on the other hand, kept a cool head. Though he barely stopped his hand in time from touching wood, Kentaro was relaxed as if he didn't believe for a second, he would lose. Slowly he raised his hand back up until their arms returned to the starting position. “You have used your all but still have not won. In a battle of attrition, this match has already been decided. Master always said you were the most hopeless of us three.”

Genki ignored him. Focused on using brute force to ensure his way to victory, but unlike last time he could not muster 100% of his strength and only brought Kentaro’s hand halfway down.

Again Kentaro slowly brought their arms back to the starting position, conserving his strength waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. “You never learn.”

A throbbing vein rose on Genki’s forehead as he made one last attempt to overwhelm his brother. The veins on his arm became larger, and slowly he pushed back on Kentaro's hand, but Kentaro’s hand barely budged at this point.

Kentaro took a deep breath gathering his strength. With a quick motion, he smashed Genki’s hand through the wood, claiming victory. “Ahaha, you are 1000 years too early to be challenging your older brother.” 

Genki massaging his arm, frowned, not prepared to admit defeat, “If I were not drunk, I would have won for sure.” In dismay, Genki downed the entire cup of his beer and Kentaro’s in 4 gulps. He let out a resounding burp, then drunkenly looked towards Haruto “boy, come taste defeat.” hiccup* 

Kentaro brought a new table over. Quickly refilled his old cup and Genki’s cup, then waved Haruto over, “come show us the strength of Requis’s chosen disciple.”

Haruto had barely drunk any of his beer, yet he acted tipsy and frightened, “I don’t know. I fear Genki may be too strong. Just look, his arm is the width of my torso. Besides, what if I lose since I am already drunk.” Trying to take your L out on me, huh? I’ll show you a thing or two. I may not be a Barb, but I'm stronger than the average bear. 

Thomas rolled his eyes internally as he continued drinking his cup of beer and making small talk with Leonard. Boy, you put even my acting to shame and my shamelessness to more shame. 

Genki, though exhausted, smiled, seeing such easy prey. Flexing his left arm, Genki promised, “Don’t worry, boy. I will give you a fitting handicap. My non-dominant hand only.”

Haruto continued looking hesitant. Milking his performance to the tee, he couldn't wait to pounce. A slight smile appeared on his face but was quickly hidden. Patience me. Patience only then can you fully enjoy the troll. With a meek voice, Haruto complained, “I just feel that if by some chance you lose, drinking two beers would be more devastating for me since I’m so small.”

Fumiko, who was about to bash Genki's head in, noticed Haruto's smile, so she decided to watch and see. Worst comes to worst, she'll just humiliate Genki right after.

Genki drunkenly rubbed his chin in contemplation, “Good point. You are small. Fine, if you lose, you drink two beers, and if I lose... I’ll let you decide my punishment. Deal?”

Haruto gazed at Genki as if he were looking at a saint. With tears in his eyes, Haruto heartfully thanked, “Many thanks, kind Genki. Now I feel losing will not be so unfair.”

Genki slammed his elbow into the table, already imagining his victory. Hearing such thanks made him want to laugh, but the fear of Fumiko suppressed the urge. “No problem. No problem. Either way, you are going to be drinking two beers. Hopefully, the ale did not inhibit your strength too much. Now come.”

The weak lamb-like expression on Haruto's face did not match the aggressive slamming of his elbow on the table that indicated some real shit was about to happen. 

Kentaro placed his hand over both of theirs. Nodding at both, he removed his hand, shouting, "Begin!"

Genki employed his usual tactic putting his full power in pushing down Haruto’s arm. To his surprise, Haruto's arm only slightly budged. 

In his best imitation voice Haruto smugly revealed, “Oh, I’m afraid my strength will be quite operational. Allow me to show you the true power of the weeb side.” With a fluid motion, Haruto yeeted his hand forward with full force, smashing Genki’s arm through the table. Genki’s arm twisted awkwardly, causing his body to flip upside down, smashing his face into the cold cobble floor.

With a groan, Genki pulled himself up from the ground. With blood dripping down his nose, he gawked at Haruto with awe, “How do you have so much strength?”

Thomas was unsurprised by the result. Even if someone were to tell him Genki was the strongest human on Titan. Thomas would reply, "So? In front of an interdimensional being, he might as well be called the strongest ant on Titan."

Leonard's jaw dropped. That asshole knight had the gonads to shit talk to him? Perhaps he isn't blessed by the gods, after all.

Fumiko clapped loudly, congratulating Haruto on his flawless victory that she knew a hundred percent he would have.

Kentaro nodded, similar to Thomas, he expected Haruto's victory. Anyone worthy of Requis should have at least this much strength.

Haruto evilly grinned at the astounded Genki, “the weeb side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. I may be willing to teach you. Answer me, Genki, who is your waifu?”

1