Special Guests Part 1
149 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vaughn, Rhia, and Senga walked towards the market. The Sun bathed the land in a cool orange-yellow glow. The commons were adorned with banners and icons while the bonfire now stood waiting to be lit. 

“Diviner Senga,” said Vaughn as they walked through the village, “thank you for saving me back there.”

“Think nothing of it,” said Senga. 

“So, any idea who the special guest is?” asked Rhia. “The Priestess didn’t give me any details on them.”

“An outsider, I believe,” said Senga. “Someone from Caer Ffin.”

“Caer Ffin?” asked Vaughn. “I wonder why someone from such an ‘elegant’ land would want to come here?”

 “Vaughn,” said Rhia in a playful tone. “No need to be so rude. It’s probably just another merchant wanting to make some quick gold.”

“I doubt it,” said Vaughn and Senga at the same time. Both tried to continue speaking, but were saying different things, resulting in a jumbled mess of sounds.

“You first,” said Vaughn. 

"Thanks,” said Senga. “As I was saying, I doubt it. The Priestess and Chieftess wouldn’t have us waiting for some random merchant from Caer Ffin, even a wealthier one. I assume our guest is another stupid zealot trying to get us to convert again.”

“That or someone from the Governor to collect taxes from us,” said Vaughn.

“That would explain the welcoming party this person is getting,” said Rhia. 

I hope it’s just another tax collector, Vaughn thought. Those zealots are so annoying. Always trying to get us to believe in their one god just to boost their own ego. If only they’d leave and ne-

“Uh, Vaughn,” said Rhia as she repeatedly tapped him on the shoulder. “You still with us?”

“Yeah, sorry” said Vaughn. “I got too deep into my thoughts again.” He looked around at his surroundings. “Oh, we’re already at the bridge.”

The trio crossed the bridge. Since Vaughn’s entrance, the market had become a sea of people, tents, and carts all densely packed together waiting for the ceremony to begin. They scanned the crowd for the honored guests. 

“I think I found them," said Senga, a slight scowl having formed on her face.

Senga pointed towards the Southern gate. There stood three people, a middle-aged gentleman tall and lanky, a strapping young man, and a short girl seemingly on the cusp of puberty. There was no mistaking their foreign background. Their crisp white attire was unseen in any of the Gwyrfiddite tribes. The gentleman’s clean shaven head was so close. No tool Vaughn had ever seen could produce a shave that close. However the biggest outing factor was their yellow skin tone, less apparent on the shorter foreigner but still there. It was instantly obvious to Vaughn as to where the special guests came from - the Tevanese Empire.

The trio walked to the special guests. Everyone who stared at them turned their heads away as the trio approached.

"Hello,” said Senga in a slow, condescending voice. “I am Diviner Senga of clan Ufoch. To my right is my fellow Diviner, Rhianon, and to my left our temple’s Altar Keeper, Vaughn, both of clan Ufoch.” Senga briefly paused. “Do. You. Understand. Me?”

“Senga!”  snapped Rhia. “There’s no need to be rude to our guests. My name is Diviner Rhianon and it is a pleasure to meet you.” Rhia extended her arm towards the tall foreigner. What are your names?”

The strapping young man spoke up. "My name is Joiyan. I am the translator for Envoy Manjae. My shorter associate is scribe Gamila.

“Hi,” said the child-like foreigner as she intensely shook Rhia’s hand. “I do not speak your language well. I want to have… a… good time.”

Manjae pulled Gamila’s hand back.

“Gamila,” cautioned Manjae. 

He continued to speak in his native tongue of Tevanese. Gamila spoke back. All Vaughn heard was garbled gibberish coming out of their mouths, no different than the noises an animal makes. Their spat ended with a smug smile on Gamila’s face. Manjae whispered into Joiyan’s ears then performed a quick bow for the trio.

“Envoy Manjae offers a most deep apology,” said Joiyan. “He did not know of your customary ‘hand shake’ when greeting guests. He hopes to not show further disrespect.”

“Jerk. Unable to even come up with a good excuse for being rude,” murmured Senga.

“What was that, Senga,” asked Rhia.

“Nothing!” Senga’s eyes darted back and forth as she did a 180-degree turn. “Let’s go. The Priestess is waiting.”

What a jerk indeed, thought Vaughn. At least one of us gets to say that.

Senga led everyone back through the market at a brisk pace. They still received the occasional gawking, but a single stare from Senga, Rhia, or Vaughn quickly ended it. When the group reached the bridge the Priestess stood in the center waiting for them.

“There they are” exclaimed the Priestess. “It is an honor to have you here today, Envoy Manjae. Thank you for making the trip out from Caer Ffin. Did anyone give you trouble on your way here?” 

Manjae and Joyann walked to the center of the bridge. He extended his arm and was met with a handshake from the Priestess. He yanked his arm back and said something in Tevanese to Joyann. 

“Envoy Manjae says he thanks you for being a willing host. We experienced relatively no troubles here. Besides a miscommunication and someone calling the Envoy a jerk, everything is going great.”

The Priestess’ gaze immediately fell upon Vaughn. Her gaze sent a shiver down his spine. “We don’t talk to guests that way, Altar Keeper,” she commanded.

“It was your Diviner,” said Joiyan. “The less friendly one.”

“Diviner Senga?” inquired the Priestess. “That can’t be right. There is no way she would say something so rude.”

“I know what I heard,” said Joiyan. “I do not require an apology. Less traveled people tend to be less… kind to foreigners. Onto more important matters. Where can we hitch our wagon for the night?”

“No need for that,” said the Priestess. “While you are here, you’ll have a house right in the village to call your own.”

Joyann translated the message to Manjae who burst out in laughter. His laughter ceased as quickly as it began. Manjae and Joiyan got into a back-and-forth conversation which quickly became a three way conversation as Gamila joined in. As the conversation continued on, Vaughn took the opportunity to observe their outfits. All three wore white tunics with vibrant orange collars and cuffs, deep blue caps with small brims, and brown leather boots that extended to the knee. Manjae’s tunic, however, was different from his subordinates’. Fancy patterns the same shade of orange as the collar and cuffs ran the length of his sleeves. A shoulder cape the same shade of deep blue as his trousers and cap held together with a silver pin covered most of his shirt collar. Joiyan and Gamila only had dark brown and black trousers, respectively, held up by thick leather belts. Manjae, meanwhile, had no visible belt. Joiyan’s cap also only had one faux pony tail coming out the back, while Manjae’s had three.

Vaughn’s intense scanning of the two Tevanese men was disrupted by a tap on his right shoulder. He instinctively tensed up and froze. A second tap to the shoulder got him to turn around to see Gamila looking at him, enthusiasm plastered on her face. She took his hand, shook it, and released it.

“Nice meet. No. To meet. Nice to meet you,” she whispered. Gamila scuttled away from Vaughn.

Something about Gamila drew Vaughn in. Her hair was nothing special; just small black curls cascading out from her cap which lacked the three braided faux ponytails found on Joiyan’s. Her green eyes were neat, but, no, Vaughn knew that wasn’t drawing him in. The same was said about her outfit, almost identical to Joiyan’s save the belt, which had a dull-grey buckle instead of a shiny silver one. No, it was something else - a simple black string wrapped around her neck. Vaughn could not put his finger on it, but whatever was on the end of that necklace had an aura that was alluring yet frightening. He had to find out what it was.

“Altar Keeper!” snapped the Priestess. 

“Yes Priestess!” Vaughn shaked his head back and forth, noticing Gamila was now standing with Manjae and Joiyan.

“Did you hear what I said?” her glare pierced into Vaughn’s very soul.

“No,” Vaugh blurted automatically.

“Of course,” the Priestess bemoaned. She turned her gaze to Joiyan. “You’ll have to forgive him. You know how men can get.”

“You do know that I am a man, Priestess, right?” said Joiyan. 

“Oh?” the Priestess scanned Joiyan. “Ohhh! I am terribly sorry for insulting you.”

“I was not offended,” reminded Joiyan. “But your Alter Keeper probably is. His muscular arms tell a story of hard work which is not being appreciated right now. You should apologize to him.”

The Priestess just started at Joiyan. Then as quickly as she turned her attention to the scribe, her gaze and attention once again fell upon Vaughn. “As I said earlier, Altar Keeper, you and Diviner Rhianon do not have to give up your house tonight. Envoy Manjae has decided to camp with his guard rather than have a prime location within the walls.”

“Did you hear what I just said,” maintained Joiyan. “You should apologi-”

“So all you’ll need to do is help them drop off their gift at the storehouse,” the Priestess said. 

Joiyan looked ready to raise a point of contention when Gamila spoke up in Tevanese. The delegation once again erupted into chatter, but this time rather short. A smile bloomed on Gamila’s face as they turned back towards the Priestess.

“Actually,” said Joiyan, “there is a slight change in plans. Gamila and I will stay in your village for our stay. We want to better understand your culture and the best way to do that is to immerse ourselves in it.”

“In that case, our Altar Keeper and Diviner shall graciously offer their house to you,” said the Priestess.

“That won’t be necessary,” said Joiyan. “We don’t wish to displace your Altar Keeper and his wife from his house. We have a tent that can be pitched.”

“Nonsense,” said the Priestess. “You’ll take the house.”

“Well, what do the Diviner and Altar Keeper think,” asked Joiyan. “It is their house.”

“They’re fine with it,” said the Priestess. “Isn’t that right?” 

Rhia nodded. Vaughn wanted to object, but the Priestess’ gaze implied that was not an option. Besides, they’d most likely end up at the Priestess’ or Senga’s house, Vaughn assumed. He’d be fine.

“Yes, Priestess,” said Vaughn.

“Great!” said the Priestess. “Rhia will stay with me and you shall stay at the House of Males.” 

“Wait... what,” Vaughn exclaimed. “Why can’t I stay with you or Diviner Senga?” 

“I only have a spare bed big enough for one person and you know the rules. You can’t stay in the house of another woman that is not your wife. No exceptions.” 

“Oh… okay,” said Vaughn.

“Great! See you at the ceremony. I’m counting on you.” The Priestess walked away with Senga and Rhia in tow. Manjae retreated from the village, leaving his two underlings in the care of Vaughn.

2