Chapter 23: Why do People Have to Die?
109 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rume stood in shock in the sudden loud sound of crashing and debris flying around. She saw an ugly beast, she knew what it was. However, somehow it looked different. It looked dreadful and offensive to the eyes. Strange dark organic substance covered its limbs, a few on its body, and some by its neck and head.

Those ugly substances, or it should be said black flesh looked attached to them — no, it was part of their being. Rume felt like its eyes were fixed on her as it turned to face towards their direction. Rume was with the other kids, the same as her, they were in shock at the sudden turn of events.

Then just after the beast breached the gates, it instantly rubbed its hooves while pointing its horn towards Rume and the others. Without a moment to spare, the beast charged at them with terrifying speed.

“Run!”

One of the kids shouted in panic, and so they ran away with all the strength they could muster. However, as they were bundled together, the beast’s eyes were aimed at them, for the beast seemed endeared at the bundled targets. They wouldn’t be able to run away. After only a few of the children’s steps, the beast was already closing in on them.

In a second they would be caught. In a second they would be crushed by the beast or impaled by its horn. Rume that was behind the group would be the first victim. Rume could feel the touch of death behind her, slowly reaching out to her.

As the tip of the beast’s horn was about to hit Rume, a figure suddenly appeared between her and the beast. An annoyed roar blared from the beast. Confused as to what happened, Rume turned around.

She saw a young woman with scarlet hair, wearing a long pointy hat, extending her hand forward as a magical barrier emitted from her hand on which the beast crashed into.

“Damn this thing is strong, what gives?!”

Her arm shook in surprise due to the beast’s strength. As the beast tried to push forward, it was suddenly pushed away to the far side with a loud thud, prompting dust clouds to fly in the air. A woman with long green hair tied in a ponytail kicked it away with great force.

“It’s stronger. This must be a higher stage in what seems like an infestation.”

After she said so, another voice rang out that belonged to neither of them.

“Another one!!! Stay away everyone!”

“This one is different!”

The guards yelled to anyone that may hear.

Another kind of beast entered the village. It stood on two feet, it had two bulging arms, while its body was furry yet bulk. By the mouth, several sharp teeth protruded. By its elbows, long pointy bones extended outward. If not careful, one could puncture anything. Like the horned beast, it was covered in dark revolting flesh.

It thrashed its arms around, but the villagers were keeping their distance.

“I’ll end this one quick. Galeila! Back away!”

Galeila leaped away.

“[Raving Streams]!”

Three streams of flames came forth from Lein’s hand then separated. The ravaging inferno converged to the horned beast. It cried in despair and in the next moment it dropped to the ground. Leaving only its charred remains. The smell of burned flesh linger in the air.

But it wasn’t over yet.

“Aaaaaah!”

A man’s scream echoed in the entire village. Rume turned to the source of the terrified scream. She saw a man in the other beast’s hand, struggling to be released.

Then the beast clenched its fist tight, and the man in its hand crushed. Blood coming out of his mouth and ears, then leaking through the beast’s fingers as the man’s flesh got squished.

Rume stood in utter shock as she witnessed the horrifying scene.

Immediately after that, the beast punched a guard. His blood splattered in the air as he crashed into a nearby house. Blood remained on the wall as the man limply fell to the ground like a ragdoll.

A horrendous sight. Rume was frozen in horror, yet was able to take a single step back. She wanted to vomit but was able to resist. Amidst all this, there was still a tiny bit of clearness inside her head.

This was after all, not the first horrifying scene she had witnessed.

If this was the first, Rume would have vomited or had been completely frozen stiff, or she would have been crying in utter terror.

But all she felt was shock and horror, both were only emotions occuring inside her. Even if this was not the first time she saw a scene like this, it was still a bloody sight. A sight a child like her should not ever witness firsthand. This kind of sight would be too much for a normal child.

“Rume!”

Lein yelled as she immediately moved towards Rume and covered her eyes.

“Don’t look Rume.”

She whispered to her.

“M-Miss L-Lein.”

Her trembling voice was low. And now, for some reason, her body began to slightly tremble. Was it because there was a second of peace?

“Hush. It’s alright, I’m here.”

She took her in her arms, Rume’s eyes on her chest, unable to see anything but the darkness. Rume felt Lein’s tender embrace, her warm and soft hands on her back and head. Lein held the now trembling little girl tight as though shielding her from all threat.

“... Galeila, do something about it, quick. Please,” Lein quietly said as if she was begging.

Answering her plea, Galeila rushed towards the rampaging two legged beast. It would seem that the guards were unable to do anything significant against it. The moment they close in for a strike, the beast could easily crush them. All they could manage were a few slashes.

The beast was about to hammer its hand down to a human guard, but Galeila caught its big arm by one hand. Without a moment to spare, she leaped forward and punched the beast in the jaw.

The beast staggered backward, but was still barely remaining standing.

“Another wildlife infested. Surprisingly tough, definitely not normal. No choice.”

If she uses her physical strength and beats the beast to a pulp, it would take some time. Galeila didn’t want that. Rume had seen enough. She wanted it to be over already. The longer they linger here, the higher the chances of them being discovered by unseen eyes and getting involved further.

She extended her arm forward and stuck out her index and middle finger forward to point at the beast. With that, a bright beam of green light burst from her hand. Galeila had no choice but to use one of her abilities to end it quickly.

In a couple of seconds, she stopped her ability. The beast’s upper body was disintegrated, the remains of its inside left exposed. Like a loose puppet, it fell to the ground with a loud thud.

Galeila eased her guard upon seeing the beast no longer moved. Well, it was only to be expected that it wouldn’t move anymore after half of its body was blasted away. However, this situation was different though. Some sort of dangerous matter invaded its body. Something else might happen.

But seeing it was already peaceful, she heaved a sigh of relief.

“It’s done.”

Galeila turned to the humans. She saw two casualties. What a shame. One of them was a familiar man. She felt a bit sad seeing a pair of humans die. But she immediately returned to Rume and Lein.

She knew there would be cries of grief in a short moment.

“It’s safe now.”

She told the two. However, Lein still kept Rume in her arms, while the little girl trembled. Even though the threat had passed, the shock still remained. And yet, she heard no cry from the little girl. Which was something to be surprised about.

As for Rume’s case, even though she was trembling, she felt a sense of safety from Lein’s tight embrace. But that wasn’t entirely the case on why she didn’t cry.

“Galeila… We should leave. Anything else doesn’t matter anymore.”

Lein said without looking at Galeila. Her voice had no energy, but there was conviction in her words. She had made her choice.

“... I see.”

Galeila faintly nodded with a sense of relief washing all over her.

All of a sudden, a member of the group of children rushed out and ran frantically towards one of the dead.

“Dad!”

Tears coming out of his eyes.

Reto collapsed to his knees upon seeing his father lying lifelessly on the ground before him. His splattered blood stuck on the wall, and the front of his body crushed due to the beast’s fist.

***

Rume heard loud cries resonating in the entire village. Cries of men, women, and even children. Cries of fear, grief and despair. A sound so familiar as she already heard something exactly like it.

She heard such cries from herself.

The scene of blood spilling and people dying didn’t make her tears beg to come out. However, those cries which were so familiar and heartbreaking made her eyes weak. Her grip on Lein’s hand tightened to her utmost strength.

Rume was watching a young boy weeping beside the corpse of a man. Laying on the ground, it was covered in cloth as it was not in a state that could be easily looked at. Rume saw a glimpse of it beforehand, it was terrible.

However, Lein would cover her eyes whenever she stares at a corpse. Rume appreciated it. Still, the sound of cries never escaped her ears. Another person was also beside the corpse of the young boy, it was an adult woman, she took the boy in her arms as they both cried in sorrow. It was his mother.

Seeing such scenes and hearing such grieving sounds, Rume couldn’t help but recall her own experiences. But that didn’t affect her as much as hearing of what could potentially her friend crying. No, perhaps they were already friends.

She shared the boy’s pain. Because of that, tears threatened to come out of her eyes. And yet, she held it in. She didn’t feel like this would be the time of such tears to fall. Rume never in her life expected something like this would happen. She never thought things would end this way.

Why?

“Galeila, shouldn’t we leave now?” Lein asked with a low voice.

Galeila heaved a deep sigh after looking around, then turned to look at Rume.

“Before that. Rume, you should say your farewells to your friend.”

“...”

Rume wanted to say her goodbyes before going. However, was now such a good time? She felt the atmosphere wasn’t suitable for such a thing.

“Rume, not all the time one could say a proper goodbye. There,” Galeila pointed at Kariya. “At least tell her that you’re leaving.”

Rume looked at her friend, she was with her parents. Tears were welling up in her eyes.

“Let’s approach them.”

Lein said as she gently pulled Rume and walked towards Kariya and her parents.

“Excuse us,” Galeila said, then the two adults turned to them. “We came to say farewell.”

“I see, you’re leaving,” the adult man said.

“Especially after all the sudden and terrible events, we had to.”

“Indeed, that’s for the best,” the woman said in a whisper.

“Thank you for everything earlier, for the hospitality and the meal,” Lein said in a low voice.

The two adults nodded their head with a faint smile.

“Rume, say goodbye to your friend.”

Lein whispered to her. Rume glanced at Kariya. They merely stared at each other, perhaps unable to say anything to each other’s goodbyes. That was because of all the shocking events.

Still, as Galeila said, not all could properly say goodbye. Thus, Rume hoped she could at least say something.

“... Kariya. We’re leaving… Goodbye.”

Kariya looked incredibly sad for a moment after hearing those words. A new friend saying she was leaving was hard to hear. Her face crumpled, and she ran towards Rume to give her a hug. Rume was taken by surprise.

“Goodbye, Rume.”

Her hug was tight as though expressing a bit of her grief through it. Rume slowly raised her arms and returned the embrace. Her eyes damp with the tears that leaked through the corner of her eyes.

It was amazing to have a friend.

If only they could talk more.

If only they could walk together.

If only they could play more together.

If only they could travel around together.

If only this moment would last a little longer.

“But don’t worry, Rume,” Kariya leaned back her head to look at Rume in the eyes. “When I arrive on the continent to learn magic, maybe we’ll meet again. No, we’ll definitely meet again.”

That would be great. Indeed, that would be so.

“... Yes, we’ll meet again.”

“Take care, Rume.”

Rume smiled.

“You too, Kariya.”

They slowly let go of each other.

Rume then turned to look at Reto, who was still crying beside his father’s corpse. She wanted to say goodbye.

“Kariya,” Rume turned back to face her friend. “Please tell Reto my goodbye for me. Please.”

“... Of course.”

The adults gazed back to the cries.

“It’s heartbreaking to see this happen,” Kariya’s mother said.

“Those who died are great men, it’s horrible that we lost them too soon,” the man said.

Lein took back Rume’s hand.

“Let’s go, Rume.”

“Mm.”

“We’ll be going,” Galeila said to the man and woman.

As Galeila and Lein walked beside her, Rume took a glance at Reto one last time. Then lastly to Kariya.

Galeila held out her hand to Rume. She knew what this meant so she took it with no hesitation. The next moment, space distorted and twisted then the scene changed. Now they stood before a gigantic tree. Its trees bathe in the light of the close to setting sun.

The peaceful silence tickled her ears. Lein collapsed on the ground, seemingly exhausted.

Rume gripped her own hand and took in a shaky breath. The cries of people, and the bloodshed, still clear in her mind. Now she felt her eyes weaken to tears.

Lein noticed her.

“Do you have something in your mind, Rume?”

“... N-No, it’s nothing.”

“I already know your mannerisms, something is bothering you, tell us.”

Rume looked at Lein, hesitating. Lein stood up and kneeled before Rume.

“You can tell us anything. You can tell me,” She held Rume’s hand.

“...”

It had been in her mind ever since earlier. No, this was on her mind a long time ago. A question she wanted to ask. A question she wanted an answer to. Unable to hold back, tears welled up in her eyes, her face contorted as though in deep pain.

“W-Why is it?”

Her voice trembled as she forced her question out.

“Why do people have to die?”

Lein’s eyes went wide, hearing an unexpected question from the little girl.

“...” She didn’t know how to respond. She had to idea what to say. This was a question difficult for her to answer, and especially answering it to a little girl.

“Lein,” Galeila said as kneeled before Rume. “Let me answer her.”

“....... Okay.”

Lein moved away from them.

“Rume,” Galeila held Rume by her cheek and her hand. Her eyes were tender as she spoke. “Everything dies. That is how the world truly is.”

Rume felt heavy on her chest. Galeila said it as though it was a definite answer, and unchanging.

She felt like she didn’t want to hear this anymore. She shouldn’t have asked.

“Like any trees or plants in the forest, they slowly wither away. Then they disappear… And it’s always painful... and sad.”

It truly was.

“Often, things would disappear so suddenly that we wouldn’t believe it truly happened. However, reality will not change.”

Why does it have to be that way?

“That’s the way the world is, and no one can change that.”

Rume wanted to deny that truth, but she couldn’t.

“That is why, Rume… I want you to listen closely.”

Rume looked straight into Galeila’s eyes. Rume’s eyes were still brimming with tears, and grief was evident within that gaze. These were the eyes of a little girl, frail as glass, who suffered for perhaps her entire life.

“That is why we ought to cherish, relish, and savor every moment we have with those we love. Make every moment count...say what we want to say. Even if it’s hard to do, or embarrassing, do not let it hold you back. Every moment you spend with them, or the words that you say to them, is very, very special.”

Galeila gave a tender smile as she gently caressed the crying girl’s cheek.

“Remember that always, Rume.”

Rume will remember.

Galeila rubbed Rume’s tears with her soft and smooth hand. She then slowly took the little girl in a gentle embrace, tears wetted her clothes, but Galeila didn’t mind. She caressed the back of Rume’s head softly.

“There there...… Also, Rume… Know that you are not alone. We will always be here. Our chest will be here for you to cry upon in case you couldn’t hold back your tears anymore. If you feel lonely, know that you can always talk to us. If you feel sad, you can always share your feelings with us... Lein and I, we’ll always be here for you. You are not alone.”

After hearing her words, Rume’s tears began to slowly subside as she faintly nodded.

“Now, you need to rest,” Galeila turned to Lein. “... Lein, it’s time to take Rume back. We’ll see each other again tomorrow, Rume.”

Rume nodded. Lein took her hand and began walking away. However, Lein stopped in her tracks. Rume looked up at her in puzzlement. Suddenly she let go of Rume’s hand and walked back to Galeila.

“Galeila…” She was averting her eyes away, avoiding Galeila’s gaze. “I’m sorry, about earlier… That was… foolish of me.”

Galeila walked closer and softly held Lein’s cheek. She gave her a broad and warm smile. Her jaden eyes tenderly looked at Lein.

“G-Galeila?” Lein muttered.

“Go, make sure to take Rume home, okay?”

Lein instantly formed a broad bright smile.

“Sure!”

5